1st Gig?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

1st Gig?

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Well Sunday I will be trying something new. I will be the song leader at church. First song will be Accapella call and response. Hey no pressure there. Then one song while singing and playing guitar followed by three songs singing, playing guitar and racked harp.
I shouldn't be worried they are Christians, it's not like they would stone me or something......would they?

I could use all your good thoughts. I'll be shaking so much my vibrato should be incredible.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 1st Gig?

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:43 pm

1armbandit wrote:Well Sunday I will be trying something new. I will be the song leader at church. First song will be Accapella call and response. Hey no pressure there. Then one song while singing and playing guitar followed by three songs singing, playing guitar and racked harp.
I shouldn't be worried they are Christians, it's not like they would stone me or something......would they?

I could use all your good thoughts. I'll be shaking so much my vibrato should be incredible.

Jack
Well, you gotta jump in sometime, Jack. I'm glad you're nervous, 'cuz a worship experience is a very important thing to some people. I don't know how much prayin' you do, but regardless of how much you do ahead of time, be sure to spend a little time before the service gettin' mentally and spiritually ready, and put up at least a short prayer. And remember that no matter what, you'll never please everybody,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:06 pm

The audience of worship is one, and it's not any of those folks out there in the pews.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm not much of a formal prayer. I spend my day and parts of some nights speaking with my Lord, more or less constently about anything and everything. If I have to pray in front of other people it will be plain and simple, to the point.

I'm not going out on too small of a limb. Just basic chords and basic strumming with some chorus's on the harp. I don't believe I will hear any negative comments.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Have no fear Jack. He made you in his image, so your well capable of singing him a couple of nice tunes.

You should also get a HUGE kick out of the whole experience!

Enjoy it!

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm

I made it. Was nervous but got through it. I wasn't perfect on my chords but nothing horrible.
I'll be taking my guitar each week now as we're losing our lead for good at the end of the month.
The songs sound more full with the guitar even with me playing :lol: .
Thanks for the support guys.
I used the Squire '51 through my Digitech RP-80 with a little reverb. I may use the acoustic next and see how that goes.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:00 am

Way to go, Jack! :mrgreen:

We had a young boy play for the first time tonight, strumming chords on an electric through one worship song. He's about 11, I'd say. Came through like a champ!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:31 am

I was told that I wasn't loud enough. That's good isn't it?
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:09 am

Crank it up!
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:42 am

[quote=]"1armbandit"] I'm not going out on too small of a limb. Jack[/quote]

:wha: Pardon? :mrgreen:

Glad you did it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 am

1armbandit wrote:I was told that I wasn't loud enough. That's good isn't it?

wohoo!! thats great!! what didja play?? any Hosanna stuff??? Not loud enough??let the sprit lead ya!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:44 pm

One thing about playing quietly, it makes people pay attention.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:02 pm

ricochet wrote:One thing about playing quietly, it makes people pay attention.

It does do that.

Took me a minute to see where you were going with the limb thing Max.
It may not have been too small but it is short. :mrgreen:

6 with the help of the missus we also put together the song list. And I didn't just pick songs that I could play. Better to follow the Spirit than do what's easy for me, right?
We did "Hail Jesus" to start with me leading the call and response.Then a couple of hymns, "We are standing on Holy Ground" and "Spirit of the Living God" along with three more contemporary songs, "Days of Elijah", "I Stand in Awe of You" and "Ain't No Rock"

As I take on more of the Worship Leader duties I'll have to shed some of my others. Right now I play and sing then call up the ushers for offering, then give the announcements, then bring the scripture and finish the service with the band again. I'm really enjoying the music so some of the others will have to go.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Good song list, Jack!

You're off to a great start!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:45 am

Well last Sunday was the last with our Worship leader, a great guy and we will miss him.
We had a special day with extra players and vocals and I did a short solo/stand up routine. It all went really well. We threw in some Johnny Cash too.
This week we had kind of an old timey set. "I'll fly away", "How great thou Art", and three others, and I played slide on the reso in open G. I'll have to spend some time on the slide forum now cause I've got a long way to go with that. I think it gave those tunes an energetic feel. I really enjoyed it.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs