Radar Love

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Radar Love

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:35 pm

I went to a jam last Thursday and ran into a guy I played in a duo with in 1975. He had an old slotted head acoustic with him and we started knockin' out old 50's and 60's rock 'n' roll and blues. He was hotter than a two-peckered billygoat and we basically entertained the rest of the bunch- guitar and harp- for a coupla hours, turning the evening into a sort of "invitation only" private gig. I called him up yesterday to tell him how much I enjoyed the evening, and he said "Good, 'cuz I got a gig lined up for us, if you wanna do it." I told him I would. It should be interesting. I quit him last time 'cuz he started shorting me on my pay when things got tight for him. Hmmmmmm.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Radar Love

Postby bluejay » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Good luck Bubba. Hopefully he's reformed. Sounds like he is fun to peform with, so it certainly worth at least one gig to see if morals improve with age. 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Are you going to play some Golden Earring covers with him?
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:16 pm

He's in the Wisconsin Music Hall of Fame, and he's one of those "unconscious competents" you hear about. He can play almost any instrument he picks up, but he is really amazing on guitar. But, he's one of those guys like John Lee Hooker...you gotta hang on for your life when you play with him, 'cuz he'll change tunes without much notice and is very spontaneous. You just do the best you can and keep goin'. We had the magic goin' Thursday though... a coupla my buddies thought that we had been rehearsin' on the side,lol! I said, "Yeah....30 years ago."
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:10 pm

What's that old sayin' "a leopard can't change his spots." Something like that.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:25 pm

bluejay wrote:Good luck Bubba. Hopefully he's reformed. Sounds like he is fun to peform with, so it certainly worth at least one gig to see if morals improve with age. 8)
The other problem is that he's suffered brain trauma, due to having the liftgate from a Jeep Cherokee fall on his head twice, so he goes to "La-la Land" occasionally. It doesn't seem to affect his driving or his musical ability, but it makes him more interesting. I'd be shocked if I got into anything regular with him again, but if we could repeat the kinda rapport we had Thursday, I'd say we'd be good.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs