Scale stuff

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Scale stuff

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 am

Alright, I am in dire need of help here with scales. It's 1:57 am my time, and for some odd reason I am unbelievably motivated to expand my knowledge of the fretboard. My friends who know all their scales tell me to start with whatever scale I want, and start with C. So for instance the C Pentatonic Blues scale is the one I am learning right now. So people tell me that when you learn a scale in C, it's easy to move it around and change keys, but for the life of me, I cannot understand that. :oops: I don't understand how people find it easy. I know a lot of my major scales, and I don't really see any relation between them. The E Major scale was the first scale I learned, followed by the D Major scale, and I can solo pretty decently in those two scales, but I don't understand how they are even related. So I guess.... I need help with figuring out how to move scales around to find different keys. Any help.

And if this belongs in a better spot than the Tabs section, will you move it for me Rusty?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Scale stuff

Postby Catweazle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 pm

All major scales are the same, in construction. They all have their root (or tonic), followed by the 2nd degree (place in the scale), 1 whole tone (two semitones) higher in pitch. This is followed by the 3rd degree, which is another whole tone (2 semitones) higher in pitch than the 2nd degree. The entire scale looks like this:
Root WT 2nd WT 3rd ST 4th WT 5th WT 6th WT 7th ST Root
WT = Whole Tone (2 Semi-tones)
ST = Semi-Tone (1 fret)

So, if you look at the C scale, you get
C (Root) WT D (2nd) WT E (3rd) ST F (4th) WT G (5th) WT A (6th) WT B (7th) ST C (Root)

Take the D scale:
D (Root) WT E (2nd) WT F# (3rd) ST G (4th) WT A (5th) WT B (6th) WT C# (7th) ST D (Root)

It means that the pattern of notes, on the fretboard, is always the same, just played from a different position. The scale of C starts on the low E string, at the 8th fret (or the A string, at the 3rd fret or the B string, at the 1st fret), the G starts on the low E at the 10th fret (or the A at the 5th fret, the open D string or the B string, at the 3rd fret). It doesn't matter, where it starts, the notes in the scale all follow the same pattern (WT, WT, ST, WT, WT, WT, ST).

The major Pentatonic scale is the same as the major scale, but without the 4th and 7th degrees. Instead of C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C, the major Pentatonic is C, D, E, G, A, C.

The natural minor scale is similar to the major scale, in that it has it's own sequence of WT & STs and is based on the major scale, but starting at the 6th degree. So, in C, you'd start at A (6th degree of C) and continue along the C scale, back to A:
C:
C (Root) WT D (2nd) WT E (3rd) ST F (4th) WT G (5th) WT A (6th) WT B (7th) ST C (Root)

A:
Root A (2nd) WT B (3rd) ST C ..... WT D (4th) WT E (5th) ST F (6th) WT G (7th) WT A (Root)

To get the minor Pentatonic, you remove the 2nd and 6th degrees of the minor scale - in A minor, that's B & F. They are the same notes that were removed from the relative major scale (in this case, C) to give the major Pentatonic.

To get the Blues scale, you just add the note between the 4th and 5th degrees - in C, that's either F# or Gb, depending on whether you want to call it an augmented 4th or a diminished 5th.
Catweazle
Regular

Postby michelle » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:20 am

michelle
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Honestly not to be a jerk or reduce the complexity of this discussion but here's the best piece of advice I was ever given:

Ernie Hawkins (or anyone who's a good teacher) DVD on the C-A-G-E-D Method. All problems solved basically in about 2 weeks. Should be the FIRST THING a teacher teachers his guitar student, if you plan on playing in standard tuning.

CAGED is your best friend. Do not *not* know him. Don't bother with anything else until you have CAGED theory down. It's amazingly easy.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Have heard a little about CAGED. Can you fill me in a bit further.
michelle
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:48 pm

Google: CAGED system
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:33 pm

I forgot I made this thread. I'll look into the CAGED method also.

Caged Method sounds like a good band name. :D
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby DPClement » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for the tip on the CAGED system!

DPC
DPClement
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs