New To Busking And Need Pointers

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: New To Busking And Need Pointers

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Looks like The Naked Cowboy's eating well from his gig. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 am

Yea, didn't he used to be ripped?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:08 am

Yep.

:mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby jag » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:43 am

1. ALWAYS dress up or dress weird. ALWAYS
2. Be prepared to play for 3-4 hours. Sometimes it takes that to make it worth your while.
3. Always be playing. Take a 5 here or there but you won't get $ while you're resting.
4. Learn 5 or 6 songs that represent different artists: Muddy, Elmore, Stevie etc so that when you get a request, you can play at least ONE song by that artist.
5. Prime the pump with ones.
6. Have flashing lights on your tip jar at night.
7. Never let anyone sing or play with you unless you know they are good.
8. When there are few people walking in front of you, JAM. I've written dozens of songs this way.
9. Bring bottled water and Jolly ranchers for your throat.
10. Bring your cell phone with camera to record new song ides so yo won't forget them.
11. Do no accept booze from people unless its legal to have it in a bag and drink on the street.
12. Buy a Roland Cube Street PA/Amp.
13. Buy a cd carrier to sell cd's from your mic stand. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mike-Caddy- ... 1134246.gc
jag
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 am

jag wrote:1. ALWAYS dress up or dress weird. ALWAYS
2. Be prepared to play for 3-4 hours. Sometimes it takes that to make it worth your while.
3. Always be playing. Take a 5 here or there but you won't get $ while you're resting.
4. Learn 5 or 6 songs that represent different artists: Muddy, Elmore, Stevie etc so that when you get a request, you can play at least ONE song by that artist.
5. Prime the pump with ones.
6. Have flashing lights on your tip jar at night.
7. Never let anyone sing or play with you unless you know they are good.
8. When there are few people walking in front of you, JAM. I've written dozens of songs this way.
9. Bring bottled water and Jolly ranchers for your throat.
10. Bring your cell phone with camera to record new song ides so yo won't forget them.
11. Do no accept booze from people unless its legal to have it in a bag and drink on the street.
12. Buy a Roland Cube Street PA/Amp.
13. Buy a cd carrier to sell cd's from your mic stand. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mike-Caddy- ... 1134246.gc

Forget all that. None of that will make people listen. There is only one thing you have to do...make it swing baby. I can't tell you exactly how to do that if you don't know. Have fun with it.

Cheerxs, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jag » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 am

Last edited by jag on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jag
Regular

Postby jag » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:28 am

Boy THAT really helps them out now doesn't it? :)
jag
Regular

Postby Mr.O'Muck » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:01 am

Consider a heavily travelled park rather than the street. My best money days happened in Central Park. People are more relaxed and unhurried and more likely to be able to stop and listen. I used to go with a few other players and we'd set up an impromptu theatre by dragging some benches together (sadly no longer possible). Then we'd take turns playing hour long sets and usually send out an attractive female volunteer to pass the hat. Make yourself an eye catching sign. Mine was a guitar-human hybrid whose mouth was the soundhole, which was cut out to accept money. If you bring a friend (preferably an attractive woman) have them stand conspicuously opposite you listening raptly. If people see one person stopping to hear you they are much more likely to stop as well. The whole trick is getting that first person to stop. Wear funny shoes and ALWAYS Play a Kazoo in a rack! Harp too if you can. A Kazoo's sound travels like crazy and really lets people know you're there. Just don't overdo it however, a little goes a long ways. Make it a real show if you can, tell jokes in between songs. Its possible to develop a real loyal clientele that will come back week after week. Print business cards and cash in on requests to give lessons. Have a blast!

http://www.myspace.com/mromuck
Mr.O'Muck
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Fancy dressed people usually walk right on by me. The folks who look like they don't have a dime, with their kids in tow, always stop and smile and give me some change. And everybody feels good.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby Domino » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Busking can be fun and prosperous if you do it well. Crate makes two battery powered amps with guitar and mic inputs as well as CD player input. A yellow one called the Taxi and another one with effects called the Limo, I use the Limo. An overnight charge lasts 8 hours! You'll need this, it makes you sound much better and it's what folks expect now-a-days. Get a Nady vintage looking mic and you've got instant mojo vibe, trust me, it makes a difference. Use the guitar case for donations, it's huge so people can just drop $ in as they go by, hard to miss. Prime it with a few ones, a $5 and quarters. You really need a good visial to get people to stop and make them feel "entertained". Look on my MySpace page at the Side Show art I do. I use these when I busk and it stops foot traffic and once they've stopped they'll pay, trust me. http://www.myspace.com/jonnydomino. Good Luck!

Jonny Domino...bluesman
Domino
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs