DeBellum Blues

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

DeBellum Blues

Postby drake » Wed May 11, 2005 2:24 am

Anyone out there know this song or who did it (first)?
I used to play it many years ago and would like to recover the lost words/elements of this tune, re learn it, so to speak.
A verse went
"If you go down to De bellum keep your money in your shoes[2]"
Them Debellum women 'll give you debellum blues"
--or something like that.
drake
Regular

RE: DeBellum Blues

Postby bighollowtwang » Wed May 11, 2005 3:34 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-05 AT 11:34 PM (EST)]The song you're thinking of is called "Deep Ellum Blues" and the title refers to a neighborhood in Dallas called "Deep Elm" - the name has been corrupted over the years.

It was first recorded around 1935 by the Shelton Brothers (aka The Lone Star Cowboys) and became something of a standard with old-time string bands, and has been recorded by the Prairie Ramblers, Doc Watson, the Maddox Brothers, the Delmore Brothers, Jimmy Revard and his Oklahoma Playboys, the Balfa Brothers, Charlie Feathers, even Jerry Lee Lewis. Personally I really like the Hank Thompson version.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby david » Wed May 11, 2005 4:16 am

Here in western Kentucky most old timers in the rural areas still pronounce the tree name "elm" as "ellum."

They'll all tell you that what the world needs more of is a liberal application of "ellum tea," which referred to mothers using an elm branch for a switch.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Around here it was "hickory tea."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Wed May 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Most likely depended on which was growing closest to the kitchen door.

I only know of ellum tea second hand. My Granny kept a razor strap hanging inside the closet door under the steps. Usually all she had to do was look that direction to get the desired results.

I live in that house now and the nail the strap hung on is still in the door, but times have changed and the razor strap got away from us.

(I have, rarely, whipped my kids, but only with my bare hands--I never used a weapon. They've never shot or stabbed anybody yet.)
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar Tabs