John Lee Hooker Stomp Boogie or Slim's Stomp

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

John Lee Hooker Stomp Boogie or Slim's Stomp

Postby wolfeyes » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:37 pm

I got an old school John Lee Hooker album called Mississippi Delta Blues and the two songs Stomp Boogie and Slim's Stomp are friggin incredible. I got a good ear at picking out songs in standard tuning but have run into some trouble here. I suspect on stomp boogie he's tuned to open g with a capo on the third fret. And that's as far as I get. Is there any one out there familiar with this song that could help out?
wolfeyes
Regular

RE: John Lee Hooker Stomp Boogie or Slim's St

Postby lightninboy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:16 pm

I have a recording of Stomp Boogie from "The essential recordings of John Lee Hooker".
Its Spanish tuning in the key of B.
To achieve this, you could use open G capoed at the 4th fret, or open A capoed at the second fret.
The notes are easy to work out for John Lee's songs, but the feel takes a lot of work to get cookin'.
I really like his early stuff too, and the bonus is, if you learn 1 song, you learn em all.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:20 pm

When I saw JLH I remember him tuning UP to his open tuning for the boogies so I'd guess open A is what he usually used.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:53 am

"When I saw JLH I remember him tuning UP to his open tuning for the boogies so I'd guess open A is what he usually used"
It mentions Open-A tuned guitars in Charles Shaar Murray's biography of JLH, "Boogie Man". (Penguin, ISBN 0-14-016890-7)
stumblin
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs