new invention-3 years in the making!

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

new invention-3 years in the making!

Postby watertore » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi All: I have been working on getting a stick to hit a cymbal instead of just the 2 high hat cymbals hitting each other for my cymbal sound in the 1 man band set up. The high hat cymbals needed a lot of eq'ing to get them to sound somewhat like a stick hitting a cymbal, and never has sounded right to me. Today old brother duck tape came to me and I figured it out. Here are my first two songs with a real drumstick hitting a small ride cymbal, sitting on the high hat stand. There is also is a brush on the beater that hits the snare. Walter

FYI: For those that don't know, I do all this live. There is no overdubbing and I make up all the words and music as I go along-no idea what is going to come out.

It didn't work out
going to marry my baby tonight

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=71994638
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: new invention-3 years in the making!

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Holy crap that sounds good.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:26 pm

allanlummox wrote:Holy crap that sounds good.

thanks Dan! I remember bringing my 1 man band rig to your house in New Albany. I was just getting going on things then. That was an inspiring day for me! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:45 pm

Walter, you know I always love your stuff, but that new cymbal rig sounds terrific! Way better than the high hat.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm

yes big difference!! Love it!!
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:03 am

thanks guys! I can't express how exciting this is for me. I am learning the better I learn to record, the more I hear on playback that I hear when I am playing. Getting those 2 things on the same page is quite a challenge for me. When I played with the old guys like lightning, and they had drummers they liked, they always were tapping on that ride cymbal. My best drummer, Katherine Stevens, plays that way. The drum kit I use is her fathers old ludwig kit from the late 50's. Right now I have the stick duck taped perpendicular to to the cymbal on the shaft that moves up and down when you tap the foot pedal on the high hat stand. Both ends of the stick hit the upside down cymbal at the same time. I can lightly tap it and go all the way to a hard shot and hold my foot to quiet it. I am going to home depot tomorrow and buy a good clamp that I can hold it on with. Theh I can change stick sizes and even use brushes, as well as change the cymbal sizes. I have the big ride one from Katherines kit and am going to try that one tomorrow. I play 2 festivals in Ohio on saturday and want to have the kit ready to go with the new set up. Walter

Just added a guitar instrumental> I have about a dozen more to mix from this session tonight.
texas summer heat
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:18 pm

Walter.......havent listened to your stuff in a while..sorry.
That sounds great!! 8) As a matter of fact all your present stuff is sounding much better recording wise and overall tone. Even your Guitbox sounds better..especially on "just didnt work out"...did you get a different amp? :D
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 pm

slickcat wrote:Walter.......havent listened to your stuff in a while..sorry.
That sounds great!! 8) As a matter of fact all your present stuff is sounding much better recording wise and overall tone. Even your Guitbox sounds better..especially on "just didnt work out"...did you get a different amp? :D

HI slickcat: Thanks for the feedback! Guitar wise, things are all the same. I did add a dearmond soundhole pickup to my old kalamazoo acoustic. The main change has been adding 2 universal audio plug in cards to my computer. These things are unbelievable. I use the LA-2A compressor, Pultec EQ, and 1176LN limiter, on all my tracks. Also added a universal audio solo 610 preamp for vocal/harp mic and a pair of mackie HR824 monitors. These monitors are a huge step forward for mixing. My old ones were so bass heavy, I had to mix my stuff at extremely brittle/treble tones to have it sound halfway decent on most stereos. Now I mix just as I want to hear it on the mackies. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:37 pm

slickcat wrote:Walter.......havent listened to your stuff in a while..sorry.

HI slickcat: Thanks for the feedback! Guitar wise, things are all the same. I did add a dearmond soundhole pickup to my old kalamazoo acoustic(used very little). The main change has been adding 2 universal audio plug in cards to my computer. These things are unbelievable. I use the LA-2A compressor, plate reverb, Pultec EQ, and 1176LN limiter, on all my tracks. Also added a universal audio solo 610 preamp for vocal/harp mic and a pair of mackie HR824 monitors. These monitors are a huge step forward for mixing. My old ones were so bass heavy, I had to mix my stuff at extremely brittle/treble tones to have it sound halfway decent on most stereos. Now I mix just as I want to hear it on the mackies. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording