beware of fingerpicks

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

beware of fingerpicks

Postby roadkill46 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 am

ok, we have an open mic thing down here, really hokey, but it lets you play in front of an audience. now i'm not bragging myself up, but i do play mean blues harps, favorite key is b flat, so i was with this local band and we got some really good applause, etc at the open mic so we decided to book a freebie at one of the local bars,i live in a town that is 98% mexican so blues is kinda out of the question. to get to the point, i was graciously volunteered to play acoustic guitar on one of the songs that had basic, and i mean basic finger picking, so i strap on the Ovation, put on my cellulod finger picks and get ready to play. i then reach across to have a sip of my favorite refreshment and someone had a lit match in the ashtray. my thumb pick came in contact with the flame and like friggin Houdini that sucker burnt up in a milisecond with a good 2nd degree burn on my thumb. moral to the story, keep your turtle shell brown celluloid picks away from fire. crap that hurt!!!!
roadkill46
Regular

Re: beware of fingerpicks

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 am

Dag.

Never heard that one before.

Glad I use metal picks...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roadkill46 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:09 am

dude, if you have an extra cellullid laying around, light it up, it is amazinging dangerous, do it in an ashtray as it is quite quick burning.
roadkill46
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:14 am

Celluloid is nitrocellulose, closely akin to the smokeless propellant I load my cartridges with.

I prefer nickel silver for my fingerpicks, but I do try to avoid poking them in light sockets.
ricochet
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:49 pm

I feel bad for you, but that's kind of funny. I use bare fingers myself, which I still try to keep away from lit cigarettes.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Must be the season for it. There was a post last week on a banjo board by a guy that was trying to reshape his plastic finger pics. This is normally done by putting them in almost boiling water for a few minutes. He decided to take a short cut and heat it with a lighter.

Same result: a flash fire that left him with burned fingers.
Same diagnosis: they are made from material similar to that used in ammunition.

Additional warning: avoid playing fast enough to get your pics hot. It's not the kind of pyrotechnic display you want in your stage performance.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roadkill46 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:25 pm

try boiling one.....they lay flatter than Paris Hilton on a Saturday night. once you take them out of the water, they instantly cool so trying to bend one back to the original shape is pretty futile. glad they are cheap! just seems that my big thumbs cannot find the right one to fit comfortably. oh well
roadkill46
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Actually, boiling them works great to shape them to fit the finger. Dip a pick out of the hot water, jam it on the finger, and instantly stick it in the stream of cold water you left running from the faucet. You did remember to leave the faucet running, right? Oh well, at least that finger won't leave incriminating prints anymore...
ricochet
Regular

Return to About Gigs