Pat Hare

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Pat Hare

Postby boweavil blues » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:20 pm

Has anyone ever tried working out any of his stuff, solo or as a sideman? I've been struggling with his playing for a while now.

Thanks
boweavil blues
Regular

RE: Pat Hare

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:15 pm

I used to do both "Cotton Crop" and "Spending My Bonus Pay" with my old band...similar style (and tone) to Howlin Wolf's old guitar player Willie Johnson.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby boweavil blues » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:40 am

Hey Zak

I think that Bonus Pay and Gonna Murder My Baby are in G, and Cotton Crop in D. Is this what you got?

Thanks
boweavil blues
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:33 am

Yep, what's giving you trouble, the chords?

He uses basic 9th chord shapes throughout Cotton Crop, such as this, for the IV and V:

http://www.cyberfret.com/styles/funk/10 ... asrt_5.gif
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby boweavil blues » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks Zak,

I'm not very good at getting those voicings, so I can sort of play along with majors or dominant sevenths and sound slightly off by ear, so that tip about the 9ths helps alot. As far as the lead goes I guess I'm just not sure about what positions he's using.
boweavil blues
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:03 pm

The West Memphis guys like Pat Hare and Willie Johnson were unique because they were as influenced by "uptown" players such as T-Bone Walker as they were by the more rural sounds heard in the surrounding areas. Just remember that what they were doing was often a very raunchy and distorted adaptation of T-Bone's chord choices and solo ideas. I haven't really looked but I'm sure there must be some instructional material out there that covers T-Bone's style.

Common voicing for the I chord (G for example) would be

http://www.cmeabaysection.org/guitarpag ... 0/G9-1.gif

and you can use the shape in my previous post for the IV and V chords. Move chromatically in and out of these chords, experiment with a half-step up or a half-step down, depending on the situation. You'll hear this in Pat Hare's slow blues, Cotton Crop is full of these half-step slides into chords.

As for the solos, lay into the 6th and 9th notes in the high registers (in the key of G that would be E and A, respectively) with the 6th being particularly effective in phrases over the IV chord and the 9th over the V - as with T-bone's note choices, Pat Hare is definitely "jazzier" than just playing a pentatonic minor scale. Come to think of it, I can't think of any blues player I really like that sticks exclusively to the pentatonic minor scale - which appears to be the first thing "introductory" blues courses teach: noodle away in the pentatonic minor scale....but I digress.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby boweavil blues » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:01 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-05 AT 01:27 PM (EST)]Thanks, that should keep me busy for awhile. It is a very astute tip about the uptown influences, because the sound is so primitive I would never have thought to try those jazzy chords.

Zak, you are a great resource to have on this board.
boweavil blues
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs