I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby Derekslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:27 am

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Re: I want to play guitar full time "not profession wise"

Postby mnozzolio » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:59 pm

I think I need more information. I see several possible scenarios, depending on whether you're married/involved, and working/not working a regular job.

If you're married/involved and not working, you can structure your day so that you play an hour or two; do the laundry; practice, clean the house; practice, cook dinner for your loved one; practice some at night.

If you're not married and involved and not working, the same general schedule can be applied. Maybe you don't need to cook. Read a book. Garden. Volunteer at the local soup kitchen, and work your practice around that. Your time is pretty much your own.

If you're single and working -- practice an hour before work; can you practice during lunch? When you come home, you still have 5 or 6 hours available to work in sessions before going to bed.

If you're involved and working -- It becomes more difficult to work in 6-7 hour practice days and still have a home life. Maybe you can work in 45 mins before work; a little at lunch, a half-hour after work and maybe an hour after dinner. That falls short of 6-7 hours, but you'll be practicing more than most people, and still fulfill your responsibilities in the household.

I hope this made sense. Good luck!
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:05 pm

Buwahah.
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 pm

I dont know all that much, but I'd say you can practice more by doing lots of 10-20 minute bursts rather than a solid block of 2 hours. That would wear me out.

Also, some of the people i know who got really into an instrument and practiced 4-5 hours nonstop a day, they good really good quickly but they mostly burnt out on music and lost interest.

Little and often keeps it fresher for me, but there are a lot of different opinions on this.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Over the years, I've had a lot of different jobs and situations - but I've played my music the whole time, either at home or out at bars and farmers markets and all that fun stuff.
I just can't put that guitar down for too long.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Is it even a good idea to play guitar 7 hours a day? Seems like that would be tough on your hands and joints. Also as much as I love playing, there's a lot more to life than playing a nice series of notes.

I play maybe 20 minutes a day (average). Job, wife, cleaning, cooking, fixing guitars, etc take a lot of time up. But it seems like a nice balance to me. Computer stuff is by far the biggest waste of time I have.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Derekslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 pm

If you learn how to practice, what little time you have can be much better spent than aimless noodling. Having an instructor who provides direction really helps in this regard.

I mostly just aimlessly noodle, but I sometimes actually set about to learn something.

Anyway, just play until you don't want to play anymore (boredom, not feeling it, etc), but put the guitar down. Also, if anything starts hurting, stop immediately. If you have no limits on when you can play, just leave the guitar close at hand and you will pick it up.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Derekslide wrote:My joints & hands don't anymore while playing guitar and if you remember SRV Played for 10 hour a day same as Joe saterani "sp on his last name"

You aren't either of those people (and neither am I), and everyone is different. I spend all day typing on a computer for work - if I have any sort of bad posture, playing is out of the question. My longest-owned electric guitar is unplayable for more than a few minutes because the neck is just too thin for me to play comfortably, regardless of computer time or posture.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Derekslide » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 am

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Derekslide wrote:Rusty, I Know I'm a newbie and my word probably isn't worth a hill of beans, but have you tried a back brace at work or playing guitar?

The back brace wouldn't help - it's all in my wrists and hands. Proper seating posture does help with typing, but I can certainly be sitting fine and typing strangely (and vice versa).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby watertore » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 pm

If you are driven to play you will. It is that simple, because when you are driven to play, other things become meaningless. It sounds like your head is running the show. I am not judging anything, just telling the truth. Most people want to get great at things without losing the things needed to get there. To walk blindly, into a busy freeway, is scarey. That is kind of what it is like for most to follow their heart because it guarantees no worldly compensations. I spent probably 4 years playing 5-10 hours a day. I took breaks, but was on the edge of going mental during those years and playing kept me feeling more sane than crazy. I had no friends really at that time. I had no job, no nothing really. Just gigs and sleep, which was usually wherever I laid my head. Now, 35 years later, the amount of time I play a day varies, but I usually play 1-3 hours a day because it is what I am driven to do. I go with what my heart demands. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roadkill46 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:03 am

"Yeah that may be fine for you bud, but I want to do something with my life and playing 7 hours a day would be fine for me."

It sounds to me that zhyla and I have, as you say done something with your life. Wife, kids, grandkids in my case are definitely more important than my guitar playing. I would sell every guitar/gun i own, if any of those "somethings" were to ask. Please do not diminish the important things in other peoples lives for your "committment". I'm a 100% disabled Veteran and I still work.
roadkill46
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:25 am

Buwahah.
Derekslide
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar