Corporate suits vs online tabs...

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Corporate suits vs online tabs...

Postby stumblin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:46 pm

Yes, it's time for lawyers everywhere to wear a funny wig and a dress.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
stumblin
Regular

RE: Corporate suits vs online tabs...

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 pm

It's not the first time the industry bar-stewards have gone after tabbers. They took down OLGA before they went after Napster.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Bastards, complete bastards. Slowly but surely it seems that everything that I liked about the net is vanishing.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Ok...I can understand the concept of cracking down on the Napsters and so forth, but this really goes too far.

My frustration with "the way things are" is growing by the minute.

It's really no wonder I had an MI. I better go take a pill.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lightninboy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:20 pm

That just sucks!
The net is such a great way to share info.
Everything is changing.
Today I got a call from the Trading Post.
Seems that they want the money up front for classifed's now.
For 30 years I've been buying & selling music gear through that publication, 'cause it was basiclly free to advertise.
(You payed upon sale)
It all came to an end today.

Ahh, I'll join you in that pill McGoo!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:58 pm

>Ok...I can understand the concept of cracking down on the
>Napsters and so forth, but this really goes too far.

I agree, musicians have the right to stop others from stealing their recorded material because thats how they make they're money. However what kind of musician doesnt let other people play their music? I mean, they cant stop someone from playing their music even if they arrest every tabber. Tabs is a written form of people tryin to figure out how to play a song. Haha, thats rediculous. I hope they fall flat on their faces with those suits. Slowly and surely it is becoming very apparent how the "mainstream" music industry has changed the character of musicians. Its all about the money nowadays. Makes me sick. I don't even want to be known as a musician if thats how the name is gonna be used.
savage
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:51 pm

Jebus. Next thing you know they'll ban me from showing kids how to tune their guitar to open G because I'm depriving the lesson-video makers of income.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:39 pm

Remember way back when we used to say "Big Brother is watching".... seems it's come to somewhat of a reality!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby randy101 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:36 pm

That does suck. Why would someone not want people to learn their songs? So what happens if I sit in my living room strumming someones song on my accoustic? Should I be paying someone a royalty?
randy101
Regular

Postby dabluz » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:38 pm

actually an attorney could make the argument that you should, if strictly interpreting copyright laws. there is a concept in the copyright laws however of "fair use" and that is where all the controversy begins. defining "fair use" is where the attorneys begin and the enjoyment of music ends. there is also a concept of "educational use", another arena for the "gladiators of the dollar". this concept has abuse on both sides of the law. some use this "veil" to circumvent the the intention of "fair use". at the end of the day the burden of proof for "fair use" belongs to the pursuor and they usually aren't going to spend the money on a small fish. another element associated with this is that fact that if the offender states up front that "they believe the use is fair" they limit their liabillity to actual damages and preclude the awarding of attorney's fees and punitive damages for the prevailing party. there must be some reasonable validity to their disclaimer, in other words of course you can play a robert johnson song on your couch, but don't record an album and say it's educational and you believe it's fair use.

[http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar Tabs