Computer Recording- Who's using what ??

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Re: Computer Recording- Who's using what ??

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Freshly Built DAW (Intel Quad Core 2.4x4 on ASUS P5 Motherboard)
Presonus FP 10 (used to be Firepod) 8 channel preamp strip (Firewired to DAW)
Currently using my Fender Passport to monitor and for keyboard monitors.
M Audio Oxygen 61 Midi Controller (for drums, piano, synths)

I got the Full version of Amplitude 2 and Amplitude Jimi Hendrix
Various piano and synthesizer software mostly analog synth models.

Hammond B3 plug in (awesome)
Fender Rhodes plug in

Handful of effects plug ins modelling vintage outboard gear.

My biggest handicap is the room I'm recording in. Its not properly acoustically treated. Main reason I use direct inputs and software. You dont need a great room to record in and you get awesome results. My biggest struggle is getting decent acoustic guitar recordings with an untreated room and microphones. My plan is to branch outside the house and build a studio in a separate building on my lot.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 am

I'm heading down to Lewisburg early in the morning for a rondevue with The Reggie Morris Blues Band at Carnegie Hall. They'll be doing two shows tomorrow night that I'll be recording for them for an upcoming CD I guess. I plan on recording 16 tracks to the computer with a backup of 8 tracks reel 2 reel (from the subgroups. They're only a three piece band so I'll probably be able to do it all with just 8 tracks anyway but better to plan for 16. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Should be a lot of fun though.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=96131414

http://carnegiehallwv.com/

8) :lol:
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sun May 18, 2008 2:13 am

Well..... I worked last night in Lewisburg WV at Carnegie Hall. Recorded The Reggie Morris Band (along with Treavor Coffman, Forced2Focus, Summersville WV; 4 camera rig for band videos and DVD's). Great band, great people, warm hall, nice dinner (BBQ pork chops, potato salad, green beans, cake, brownies, iced tea, dinner rolls). Two 45 minute shows recorded in full with an 8 track reel2reel and 8 tracks digital using SONAR 6 Producer Edition (even recorded a cassette version for the band to take with 'em while I mix the rest) (did I tell you the I really like these dual flat screen monitors......?) Glad I thought ahead and took my 150 foot snake this time...... My 100 footer just wouldn't have reached this one. Seven drum channels, 2 guitar amps, bass, and three vocals. Thirteen channels into 8 subgroups into the recorders. Kick, snare, hat, T1, T2, T3, OH, G1, G2, Bass, 3 vocals. Subgroups Kick, Snare, Hat, All other drums, Vocals, G1, G2, Bass. Got really great tracks. Full clean tones. Should have everything mixed by Wednesday and ready to go at it again for somebody else......

:D 8) :roll:
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sun May 18, 2008 9:44 am

Just my PC and Audacity :)

but I'm thinking about getting a USB mic & a mini mac.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Kalle_in_Sweden » Thu May 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi
For computer recording I am using the following equipment:
- Samplitude V8 SE recording SW (similar to Cubase LE) and sometimes also Kristal Audio Engine.
- E-MU Tracker pre USB 2.0 Audio Interface and also Nvidia NForce audio unit integrated on the motherboard.
- Behringer V-AMP 2 for electric guitar sounds.
- Behringer XM 8500 mic and Sennheiser MD 421 mic for vocal and acoustic recordings
- Behringer UB802 mixer to connect everything (mics, acoustic guitar, bass, V-Amp) to the "soundcards".
/Kalle
Kalle_in_Sweden
Regular

Postby michelle » Tue May 27, 2008 3:05 am

Derekslide wrote:Just my PC and Audacity :)

but I'm thinking about getting a USB mic & a mini mac.

I love the audacity programme. Easy to use, good sound , perfect as a practise tool. I plug everything into my desk (Behringer PMH2000) and then use the line out channel to a little analogue to digital transformer that cost $60, then into the audacity programme. Great for working out harmony lines, laying down rhythm tracks to practise lead lines over and just generally hearing back what I'm doing. Its like a pre recording tool for me, when everything sounds how i want it to then i pay someone else in arecording studio to do the final takes, that way i'm not wasting my money paying someone to record something that isnt ready to be recorded
michelle
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Derekslide wrote:but I'm thinking about getting a USB mic & a mini mac.

Depending on how many tracks you want to do at once, the Mac mini isn't going to cut it. I don't know whether it's the hard drive (likely) or break-out box drivers, but my MacBook (which is the same computer inside as a Mac mini), can't handle Garageband amp simulations with monitoring for two simultaneous guitar inputs (and eight other tracks being played back too!) - the tracks got recorded, but monitoring just didn't work (drop outs, & high latency). Switching to my four year old G5, and it just gobbled it up - the G5 has slower processors but much faster disks, and the drivers for PowerPC Macs are probably more mature.

One guitar with an amp simulation and monitoring works fine with the MacBook. I know it would work fine with multiple inputs that didn't need amp simulations and/or monitoring.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby watertore » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 am

I have been researching the UAD plug ins. Yesterday I bought UAD project pac cards, with some really cool plugins. I should have them in a week or so and will report on them. Most of what I found on them is pretty good. I got these from a friend in Los Angeles that is big in the movie/tv soundtrack stuff. He is a tester of the cards and sold me his because he is going to a Mac computer. I am excited! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby johntuggle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 pm

I been using Pro Tools for a while. It's actually a modded 002r. I have a Toft EC-1 which I think is awesome for guitar, as is the UA 610. The Toft Compressor and EQ are killer and the mic pre is pretty nice as well. I usually use a 57 or an Sm7, but the 421 I used to have rules. Combine a 421 and a 57 and that's it for me.
johntuggle
Regular

Postby East coast » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm

http://www.Eastcoastmobilerecording.com

We record live events! The truck is based around a Quad Eight/Mitsubishi Westar console that at one point of it's life was in residence in studio 3 of Abbey Road Studio. The truck features a triple redundant recording system. We us protools hd with a double back up (4 machines ) of the alesis hd 24. Other features include urei compressors, rev 7 and 5 reverbs, adam and ns10 monitors. Check out our web site! We travel the east coast, and middle of the USA.
East coast
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:53 pm

grady wrote:So, what you guys using ??

I'm a big fan of automating stuff so I don't have to do it manually, so I use a lot of command-line stuff:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8781

I control a lot of the multi-track recording process using a MIDI foot controller (Behringer FCB1010) and some software I wrote to glue it all together. *stomp* record track one. *stomp* record track two whilst hearing track one and live track two. *stomp* record track three, whilst hearing all tracks. *stomp* play back a quick mix of all tracks, after mixing, reversing, compressing, re-reversing, adding a touch of reverb and normalising. *stomp* get me another beer from the fridge.... oh wait...

I use Audacity a little too (mainly for cropping tracks). Hydrogen Drum Machine has also had a bit of a workout and I occasionally use (wear?) SoX.

I like to keep the whole lot reasonably portable too. I once did a talk for a bunch of Linux fans on my setup and recorded a multi-track Metal version of the main theme of Rossini's Barber Of Seville opera at the end of the talk. The slides/paper and MP3 are up here, for those that have too much spare time...:

http://www.musicalcarrion.com/tech/
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby michelle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:44 am

http://www.myspace.com/michellefitness1
Recorded this on audacity. When i used the normalise effect the lead vocal dropped alot of volume. I think im' going to have to remix it. Sometimes when i use the noise removal effect the final recording ends up with a strange kind of digital white noise throughout. Anyone else found that? Anyway it needs some work but its the first recording where i did and played everything, so i'm a little chuffed.
michelle
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 pm

michelle wrote:http://www.myspace.com/michellefitness1
Recorded this on audacity.

Very nice!

michelle wrote:When i used the normalise effect the lead vocal dropped alot of volume.

Did you mix all tracks to a single stereo track and then normalise, or did you normalise it when all tracks were still separate? The former is probably what you want -- otherwise Audacity (and other tools) will normalise what you've told it to (ie, *all tracks independently*). That'll probably cause a strange mix.

By mixing first (saving as a different file/project, so that you still have each master track), you're locking the levels of each track in relationship to each other and normalising the whole lot together.

michelle wrote: I think im' going to have to remix it. Sometimes when i use the noise removal effect the final recording ends up with a strange kind of digital white noise throughout. Anyone else found that?

Don't use it if you can avoid it. The noise removal feature is kinda cool, but will always colour the sound it leaves behind -- just like most battery-operated noise-cancelling headphones. You're probably better off spending your time trying to eliminate noise before you record it than remove it afterwards. A friend of mine used to refer to stuff like that as 'turd polishing' -- if it's a piece of crap to start with, no amount of polishing will make it any less a piece of crap. :-)

michelle wrote: Anyway it needs some work but its the first recording where i did and played everything, so i'm a little chuffed.

It's very good. There are a lot of layers there, but they're not competing for aural space (not as easy as it sounds). The guitar sounds like a steel-string acoustic with a pickup that you've direct-recorded, but it doesn't have that plastic sound that so many tend to. You haven't gone overboard with the effects on any of the parts either, which is a mistake people commonly make (I've done it).

Keep it up and keep posting results and draft results.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 am

Thanks Matt, thatsvery encouraging. Checked out your site, love your music, Where did you get that voice!!!!mm mmmmm 8)
michelle
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:41 pm

michelle wrote:Where did you get that voice!!!!mm mmmmm 8)

I found it abandoned on the side of the road. :-)

I haven't been singing for very long and I'm self-taught. It improves the more I work on it, but it's still not bad for an Aussie...
musicalcarrion
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Recording