BUKOO EQ

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

BUKOO EQ

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 pm

I have struggled with my Fender Bassman 250 since I bought it. My basses were built to go low. The amp just wasn't hitting the freqs I needed. I went out Saturday to the local shop and bought a Boss GEB-7 eq pedal and took it home. At first I had way to much eq and thought I might fold my speaker so I stopped and thought it thru. The pedal zones in on 50hz 120hz 400hz 500hz 800hz and some in the khz. With my bass knob barely on and the pedals 50hz flat and the 120hz on almost 1 on the slider and with my amps mids zoned in on 200hz and barely on and the pedals 400hz almost on 1 and the pedals volume slider on 1/2 the amp came alive. There are two mids on the amp that you can zone in on 150hz to 1.5hz and another that goes from 800hz up to whatever. My guitars hit between 50hz and 400hz. They do not produce freqs higher than that. I can turn the treble knob left and right and not change anything, tone or volume. Same with the 800hz knob, nothing. I leave the pedal sliders that go from 500 to whatever khz flat. My bass ain't activating them so what's the point. When I would play LaGrange and go from the A to the C the C like disappeared. Now them mid notes are alive. The band plays a Science Fiction thing on Friday and I can't wait to use the new gizmo, the show is outside. Saturday night we play a rowdy bar in Salt Lake City (I dig the rowdy bars) and I'm anxious to hear how it sounds in a building. I can't even play without that eq box any more. I got addicted fast. Like I said, the freqs I use on the pedal I barely have on other wise it just woofs the speaker. Any and all ideas from experience using an eq device would be duly noted and tried.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: BUKOO EQ

Postby mike932 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:47 am

Hey Bigdaddy,
When are you going to play in Idaho again? Please let me know, I will drag my sorry ass over to that part of the state. I have the same pedal. I bought it because I was having the same problem with my MIM fender jazz 5 string. The pedal worked , a good DI also. I recently replaced my Pickups with Samarium Colbalt (sp) noiseless Fender PUs. Man what a difference, don't need the pedal anymore. I play through an Ampeg 2x10 or a Fender Bassman 10 4x10 cab. if I remember correctly you play a P-Bass. I would stick to the pedal, the pickups I bought were expensive, but they are nice. When setting up using the pedal I would have a set of ears listen and tell me what frequency needed to be adjusted. Different bars carry the bass tone differently. I like to set up near a corner if possible, seems to help the low end carry more evenly. I do like the pedal, going to keep mine just in case. I haven't had trouble with my other basses, just the one. Oops, I'll take that back, my USA Fender fret-less Jazz had a dead spot, easy fix with the c-clamp near the e- tuner.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:45 pm

We're playing Malad on July 4th. Limericks is having a 4th of July party. We're also there the weekend of Labor Day, I can't recall which night, Friday or Saturday. We'll be back at the Blue Moon in Lava Hot Springs the weekend before Labor Day and the weekend after Labor Day. The Blue Moon is a fun gig. How far is it to Boise? I'll have to google
Boise an see if we can't get a weekend up there. I know right now we're going after Evanston Wy.
I use blade pickups in my Precisions with a larger capacitor. With the tone knob off the larger capacitor bleeds off alot of the treble leaving only the deeper bass to get through. That's what I read in the Stew Mac catalog. It does work, my basses are low and mellow. The amp just wasn't promoting the right freqs so the pedal pulls them out. It also gives the amp a warm growl but not over bearing. Thanks for the eq info. If I score a gig up in your area I'll let you know.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby oleman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:58 pm

I hear you about the eq boxes BD. I could never get a decent sound for the dawghouse thru just the amp. It was a
little better direct to the PA, but FatPaul, on here suggested a SansAmp para driver di. What a difference!! No feedback,
classic upright sound and loud. I don't think I could or would have ever figured it out on my own. That's why this forum
is so valuable to us technically challenged types.

Thanks FatPaul!!
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:22 pm

The band played a sci-fi convention thing Friday night outdoors and played a club on Saturday night. That eq box brought that bass alive. The boss even complimented that he could hear every note on every string I was playing. Before it was mainly the 4th string that dominated, now all four ring out true. It was fun to play the bass. Now the down side, I could hear every mistake I made very clear also, which means the boss could to. That eq box was a vast improvement on my tone. Worth every penny. We do a 4th of July party in southern Idaho this Friday night, I can't wait to light that rig back up.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:02 am

Hey Bigdaddy,
I have been out of town for few days, went to Spokane to hang out. There is a bar there which has a great jam session on sunday nights, the Bend, great place. I know what you mean about the boss pedal picking up everything, I use my thumb as a mute to cover the strings on the strings lower than the one playing and my little finger to cover the upper strings. It does take some time getting use to it, if you have a better way please let me know.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 pm

I don't mute when I play. My mistake is plucking a 3rd when it should of been a flat third, or not pressing the string down hard enough (little finger) and getting an unclear note. The boss looks at me when I do that. Friday night he said my playing has vastly improved since I got the eq box. That box brings my bass alive. Every note is as loud and as clear as the one before it. It sounds good to my ears. Right now I am happy with my gear, amp, guitars and tone. It's like looking across the dance floor and seeing a beautiful woman and then putting on my glasses and looking at the same beautiful woman, wow, much better.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom