New blues tabs

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

New blues tabs

Postby petou » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:43 pm

TABS of Charley Patton, Son House, Texas Alexander, Leadbelly, RL Burnside, JB Lenoir... at bluestab.skyblog.com
[link:www.bluestab.skyblog.com|www.bluestab.skyblog.com]
petou
Regular

RE: New blues tabs

Postby slider951 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks PETOU, :D
slider951
Regular

Postby stiff » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:15 am

Oh man, thanks a bunch! I can't believe it! JB tabs!
stiff
Regular

Postby silenus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:11 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-06 AT 05:36 AM (EST)]Thanks from mine too Petou...
A lot of great songs with some other tabs I normally use.
Can't wait 'till work is done and can go home to try 'm out

"If I don't go crazy, I'm gonna lose my mind..." - Son House
silenus
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:26 pm

I still think it's dishonest to copy some Stefan Grossman tabs from his books and then write "tabbed by Petou" underneath. It's theft.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby podunk_phill » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:42 am

Petou est-ce que vous vous débarrasses tout le tabing d'est-ce que vous utilises un logiciel votre moi un traducteur ?
Podunk Phill
whitewater Kansas la petite ville de grand coeur !
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby petou » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't really understand what you say, you can write in english( but i thank you to use french that's cool ).
For the JB Lenoir songs i use the "soul of a man" video (if you want to take a look at this video) so the final part of "slow down" is not really exact (sorry).
For the Tommy mclennan tab of Stefan Grossman i only forgot to write "tabbed by stefan Grossman" because i will change it(i'm sorry too) I respect Stefan GROSSMAN, he is a great musician and he make a good job for the blues. (or people who wants to learn that beautifull music). I make an error...

For translation :
the text next to the picture it's just biography. So if someone need translation on tab text i can do that you just have to ask you question on the site, you just have to press on "ajouter un commentaire".
petou
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:11 pm

Actually there is a lot more than just the Tommy McClennan song on your website that you stole from a Grossman book and "forgot" to credit him. You didn't forget to credit yourself, did you?
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:17 pm

These are the threads I try to keep out of altogether, but - well, I have been home sick for over a week now, I'm getting cranky.

Zak is absolutely right on this one - it's theft, pure and simple.

When someone records a song for commercial release, they have to pay money to the publisher. I'm not sure what the exact legal status of Tablature is, but I'm certain it's similar.

And "Forgetting" to credit the person who did the work is odious. It's like shortchanging someone at the till; if you get caught, it's an innocent mistake. Funny how much more often people are shortchanged, than given too much change.

I'm sure Petou thinks it's simply no big deal - after all, he's not making any money off of it. But Zak is right to call Shenanigans on this crap.

Grossman published those Tabs in order to MAKE MONEY SELLING THEM. You are stealing his work and giving it away. Where do you get off?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:28 pm

>I'm not sure what the
>exact legal status of Tablature is, but I'm certain it's
>similar.

Tablature is indeed protected by copyright laws, I am not an expert on "Intellectual Property" rights, but I do not think that cribbing someone else's tabs and putting them up online (even on a non-profit website) qualifies as "fair use" by any means.

"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing.
Music publishers and songwriters will consider all tools under the law to stop this illegal behaviour."

- David Israelite
president of the National Music Publishers' Association
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:48 pm

Yep, seems as though credit should be given where credit is due and if a royalty is due it otta be paid!
Makes ya wonder how many "TABS" out there ARE copies?!?!?!? I personally wouldn't know the difference and I have used some of those tabs to learn and now I feel like a chump!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:57 pm

"...how many "TABS" out there ARE copies?!?!?!? "\

My guess is, just the accurate ones.

In the meantime, I'm the one who feels like a chump - all those books on Blues Guitar I actually BOUGHT over the years...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Considering the Harry Fox Agency has no problem suing anyone who writes out the chords for a Bob Dylan song, I would imagine that your standard copyright laws would apply.
But I can't really judge, cause I have a few covers on my soundclick that I'm not paying royalties for. Glass houses, you know?
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby big slick » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Too bad, that half the world doesn't recognize any "copy rights" let alone those from the western world. Maybe Petou is in China
big slick
Regular

Postby stiff » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Well, isn't a whole bunch of the tabs on this forum taken from somewhere else on the internet? It's funny, if you do a search for some tab on google you'll find hundreds of identical, either everyone tabbed the same song the EXACT same WRONG way, or people are posting other peoples tabs.

Anyway, credit to Grossman should be in order...

I still buy his videos though I've seen his tabs around (in several other places, including his own website), they are great. More power to Grossman.
stiff
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar Tabs