Harp newbie - Please help!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Harp newbie - Please help!

Postby woodgoblin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 am

Hi all,
Im new at taking up the harp, practicing my butt off and im loving it. I found this little lick on youtube and I really like it and would like to practice it. Its only a small one, but could someone please do a quick tab of it for me? I just cant seem to figure it out myself at the moment. It would be much appreciated!

Link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gtw2bCrOs4U

Thanks!
Justin
woodgoblin
Regular

Re: Harp newbie - Please help!

Postby MakaInOz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 am

It'll take a better ear than mine to figure that one out - but I'm not much good at pciking keys by ear, so that mightn't be difficult.

The title intrigued me - I don't think I've ever seen a Eb harp!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby woodgoblin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 am

Yeah its a nice little run. I really want to learn it. I have an Eb at home, great sound.
woodgoblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:58 pm

My computer at work doesn't stream very well, but if I heard that right, it sounds like a two hole 3/4 draw to a 2/3 draw, to a 3/4 holes blow. I don't have a harp at work, but if you try that, let me know how it works.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby woodgoblin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. The first part "two hole 3/4 draw to a 2/3 draw" sounds perfect, the next part I just dont think im doing right, and im trying to get the rest so if anyone can spare a few minutes to tab it out for me id be eternally indebted...!

The guitar chords are G, D, Am. Would that help? Is it based around the guitar chords?

Thanks, Justin
woodgoblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 pm

I wish I could help you Justin, but I don't even read tab; I learn the licks by ear, as close as I can. I can read regular music notation, but not tab.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby too2tall » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:15 am

Justin,

The chords would be G, D, Am is it wasn't Capo'd but since it is the chords are A, D, Bm. Since I am at work I can't give you the tab but looks like he is playing the A harp straight using mostly 4, 5, 6 blow and draw notes. Will try in out when I get home and let you know. Personally I don't think that its a great harp sound. The best way to play that would be with a D harp in second position or the C harp in 3rd position. His version is way too much like Dylan or Neil Young like for my taste. Although those guys were great musicians..great harp players they were not.
too2tall
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 pm

he's up a half step from that,in B flat.as previously surmised it is an E flat harp,although it could be done just as easily with a B flat.

i don't think you should need a tab for that,he's not playing in a precise manner.just a big ol' sloppy mouthful of breathing in,then out, then moving lower.

if you like it,then it is ok to consider it to be good,but it certainly isn't difficult.try it,you don't need tab for it.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby woodgoblin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for helping me out. I bought an Eb Special 20 the other day along with a few other keys. Ive been trying to figure it out, but not getting to far so far. As far as when I mean tab, I mean the "123 blow, 345 draw" type discription. I now realize that it is not tab!

I love Dylan, Young and all those sloppy sort of players. I think thats why I like this riff so much. Ive mastered the art of guitar and harp simultaneously so I just need to master this!First song ive just figured out is 'Follow You Down' by Gin Blossoms.

Cheers, Justin
woodgoblin
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:00 am

how's this:slide up to a draw on the 3 and 4 but feel free to incorporate the 2 and or 5,as you draw formulate the sound "wah"with your tongue and mouth.do that twice, then exhale the same holes saying "ha."that is part one.play part one twice.then breath in and out while moving down to the 2 hole,still having the 3 hole,then finish by adding draw hole one(and 2).

bottleneck
Regular

Postby woodgoblin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 pm

That sounds pretty good bottleneck, I still need to perfect what you have written out for me, and im going to try the bits in between and the end. Are you using an Eb for this?

Bottleneck, I looked at your myspace and had a listen to it all. Very great stuff
woodgoblin
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:04 am

the description i wrote does use an e flat.

thank you so much for the kind words about my myspace.the first two songs i use a rack and am playing my national.it is not till the last song that is a bullet through a bassman.

bottleneck
Regular

Return to Blues Harp