Turnarounds in Open D

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Turnarounds in Open D

Postby angry » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 am

Gday All,
Can anyone help me out with some fairly simple (I'm a bit of a novice) turnarounds for slide in open D. My current repertoire consists of 1 and it's starting to get a bit worn out. Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Beers
angry
Regular

RE: Turnarounds in Open D

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 pm

I'm no good at tabbing.

What I most often do to turn around in D is to use one of the A strings and one of the D strings, either the fifth and fourth strings or the second and first strings. Hit a couple of "swung" 8th notes on those two strings, open. Do a "walk down" on the A string from the third, second, first frets and then open, and you can either strum it together with the D string or alternate from each of those notes on the A string to the open D string. Then take your slide, whang on the "power chord" on the 3 lowest strings on the 5th fret and slide up to the 7th. Or for variety, go to the 8th fret and slide back down to the 7th. Da-da, Da-da, Da-da, Da-da, Da-da, WHAA-AAOW! Or if you're alternating the stirngs on the walkdown, it goes in triplet patterns, Da-ta-da, Da-ta-da, Da-ta-da, Da-ta-da, Da-ta-da, WHAA-AAOW! You've heard it zillions of times.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:10 am

Hell Rico, I understand that kinda TAB better than all dem numbers on lines!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:33 am

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:35 am

Totally Artifical Beverage.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:40 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-06 AT 10:18 PM (EST)]I read somewhere that Bobcat Goldwaith (sp) drank a case of warm TAB a day after he got sober!
I've used the stuff to clean brass and the posts on a car battery!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:46 am

>Gday All,
>Can anyone help me out with some fairly simple (I'm a bit of
>a novice) turnarounds for slide in open D.

The easiest and most obvious is arpegiating the F# and high A string (that would be G and B in standard) whith your index finger while playing descending notes on the (low) A (A in standard) with your thumb: 3d fret, 2d fret, 1st fret, open string, with a triplet rhythm: thumb-index-index, thumb-index-index, thumb-index-index, thumb-index-index, resolving to a V (A7 in D tuning) chord.

Then try doublind the descending notes on another string: the F# (G in standard) or the high A (B in standard).

Then try the same notes ascending instead of descending.

There are endless variations on this, from the basic Elmore James lick to Blind Blake's piano-like turnarounds on the rare tunes where he plays in D tuning.

If you need tab to get by, you're cheating yourself out of an understanding of what you're doing. You can use tab and learn to parrot someone's finger positions, or you can train your ear to hear what's going on and figure it out yourself from the recordings and gain a true understanding of how to play something. I know, I know...you want instant gratification without making an effort, but you're just cheating yourself out of one of the most rewarding aspects of playing music.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:55 am

That's damn sure a level I'd like to achieve (and have to some degree) Zak but learning to play something first w/ the assist of TAB seems like a needed step! Gotta walk before ya run I reckon!
BTW Zak, how long ya been playing? You are the type of player I admire in that it seems very natural to you! I still "Think" about it to much at this point!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:45 am

I agree about the most rewarding aspect of music part. I remember the first time I got really frustrated because I couldn't find any Fred Mcdowell tabs. So I sat down and figured out "write me a few of your lines." I thought I was the greatest musician in the world that day.. lol..
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-06 AT 00:45 AM (EST)]
>BTW Zak, how long ya been playing?

I started playing guitar in the summer of 1984, when I bought my first one at a garage sale for $5 shortly after my 13th birthday. I spent the next four years or so happily banging away at powerchords in punk rock bands and didn't really get serious about music until I had gotten myself kicked out of high school at 17 and was in the middle of a coast-to-frozen-coast tour with a punk rock band starving my ass off, siphoning gas, and doing a dine-and-dash at truckstops and diners all across the nation in a van that had a leaky exhaust and floorboards you could see the highway through. After that...I started taking what I was doing much more seriously.

I tried learning some country blues when I was in my late teens, but got discouraged and sorta gave up and pursued other styles. I kept listening, though. The acoustic material that's up on my soundclick page...I've only been playing that style of music since I joined this board. I hadn't played acoustic guitar in about 10 years before I joined this forum.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:19 am

>>>a coast-to-frozen-coast tour with a punk rock band

So tell me this Zak.... My sons have a punk band called "Freedom Sons" and after their first real gig they were told they can't come back cuz they "encourage a way to rowdy crowd"! They inform me that that was the ULTIMATE compliment!
I'm not into their kinda music but I stand by them and support em in any way I can cuz just cuz it ain't my thang, it's still music and they work their ass's off! They're both purdy versatile and both have a distant interest in da blues so who knows where they'll go from here?!?!? It's all good!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:09 am

All I can say is that the best jazz drummers of my generation that I know all started out playing in punk rock bands in their teens...it's just unfortunate when some people stay stuck doing only that. Every Halloween I play in a Misfits tribute band and it's both fun and funny, but I can't imagine doing just that - I'd go nuts.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby todd » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 pm

> I agree about the most rewarding aspect of music part. I
>remember the first time I got really frustrated because I
>couldn't find any Fred Mcdowell tabs. So I sat down and
>figured out "write me a few of your lines." I thought I was
>the greatest musician in the world that day.. lol..
>Jim
> http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues

I remember the first time I ever "figured" something out. I thought, Oh, I've got this thing figured out now. Well, I still don't, but it was a good feeling. I've even figured out a few more here and there. Not as many as I wish, but it's still a shot to the ego when you do it.
todd
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:14 am

Yes, it is!

ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs