2 sets of gear

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

2 sets of gear

Postby watertore » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:38 pm

2 sets gear was the greatest discovery I have had in music in many decades. My back is tired of moving all the 1 man band gear up from the basement to the van or bus for each gig. Thanks to having a steady job, I can finally afford 2 sets of gear. When I was playing full time, I couldn't hardly afford to keep in strings and harps that weren't flat. Now I keep everything in the van but my harp box, guitars amp, and keyboard. Eventually I am going to buy a second keyboard. Luckily, again thanks to a good day job, our area is crime free and our van has smoked dark tint. Money does make life easier I have found out! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2 sets of gear

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Cool. Sensible and grown up, too.

On the minimalist side, I'm getting ready for a season of Farmers Markets with a new secret weapon - a couple of buckets.

They make a seat that fits the bucket, but the hardware store was out of them. I'll get one later.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm

I'm glad that there's guys like you two (Walter & Dan) out there keepin' the flame goin'. Somebody's gotta get out and play, or we're all gonna be doin' DJ or Karaoke work, or listenin' to that stuff. Walter, I'm glad that yer gettin' yer gear situation figured out; you don't need to be breakin' your back every time you go out. Dan, it should be fascinating to see what kinda things end up in those buckets.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm hoping to start out with one full of CD's...and end up with one for money and one for groceries...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:23 pm

I've got one of those bucket seats. Mine has a zipup woodland camo cover, and a styrofoam cooler inside. :mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:08 am

thanks bubba. I am just a part timer. the full time days are over for now. I spent a night recently with Willie Pooch. He is the godfather of the Columbus blues scene. he stuck to working in the mill till retirement. Now he plays for fun with no worry of how many bodies are paying at the door. I will get a so-so retirement if I stop teaching at 60. I am glad I got my degree. I love my job and feel my gigs are just enough for now. Wille inspired me to keep on like I am. I like Dan's set up. I wish for all of us to continue to follow our dreams. That is as good as it gets. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kent_eh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 am

watertore wrote: our area is crime free and our van has smoked dark tint

An old friend used to keep his PA gear in his van.
To prevent anyone busting out the windows in the cargo area, he replaced the glass with 1/4 inch plate steel, to which he attached window tint film.

Now and then we'd find a new ding in the tint film, and we'd giggle like fools. :twisted:
kent_eh
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:39 pm

I seriously envy those of you who busk, etc. I'm not a great guitarist or vocalist, but I got a yearning to busk and contribute any "donations" to a charity sponsored by my church. Alas, even though my city doesn't have any municiple code addressing street musicians, I'm still hitting a brick wall trying to get to the bottom line on the legality of busking. In fact, I just had a call from the city clerk and again she tells me that, although there's no code against it, the city police are discouraging giving it the all clear. Talk about a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:42 pm

kent_eh wrote:
An old friend used to keep his PA gear in his van.

On my road trip to Az, my buddy and I stopped off in Redondo Beach to take a swim in the ocean and chill out. Well we were on some bikes riding around town and this guy pulled up along the beach in his van, opened the back door, and had a small amp mic'd into a PA system. He plugged in his Strat and started playin some surf music. I thought that was a pretty creative idea.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 am

even though this is an old thread,i thought i'd bump it up because i discovered two sets of harps makes sense.i keep one whole set intact as a harp player,and another set as an acoustic guitarist.that way i don't rob my harp player gear for my acoustic shows,which is what i always did for thirty years.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!