jazz box samick

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

jazz box samick

Postby slidepapa » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:52 pm

I can see from the various posts, that most of the electric blues players here have strats or a tele. Anyone else out there trying to learn or otherwise use a full hollowbody jazzbox? Mine is a 99 Samick,
not the most expensive in the world but in excellent condition.
I need to re-string it with something that will not kill my bare fingers ( I don't like fingerpicks either).
Just wonderin. I have really enjoyed the feedback and the info I have found in the forum.
slidepapa
Regular

RE: jazz box samick

Postby onlyfingers » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:03 pm

I've got one, a Hofner New President. Nice clean sound. I have 12s on it, sort of heavy, but that's what it came with, and I've seen no reason to change. I play through an Evans J150 amp, which I don't lean on a bit. So I know nothing about distortion.

I would not mind having a solid body, to get a more down-and-dirty sound now and then. But that's not in the cards for a while--you know, the difference between want and need.
onlyfingers
Regular

Postby slidepapa » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:25 pm

yes my wife is always remindin me of the difference between want and needs.

do u finger pick with or without picks?
slidepapa
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:59 pm

I was really GASsing over a full hollow Ibanez a couple of years ago. Don't have one, though, but my semihollow Agile with P-90s is my favorite. If they'd put P-90s on their hollowbody I'd be sorely tempted.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:51 pm

I really want a big jazz box, but I think I'm going to try and wait at least a year to buy any new guitars, as I'm about to order the third one this year (to be fair, it's also the third one in four years ...and six months).

THE GAS, IT BURNS.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:57 pm

I play a Epi Dot semi hollow and love the look, feel and sound! I have played a few hollows that are on my list of gonna get someday! My do the BIG save for something vintage!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 pm

I bought an Ibanez artcore AS-73 a while back and have really enjoyed it. Its got some great tone. When you want it to play clean, its squeaky clean-- when you need a little filth, it gets dirty-- And to my suprise (though I dont use them much), for a hollow-body, it handles effects very well. Great guitar... and great price. Was never an Ibanez fan, but their artcore stuff is great for the price.
savage
Regular

Postby nhslim » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:01 am

I have an Epiphone Joe Pass and I love it. It's clear and clean and jazzy on the neck pickup through my Peavy Delta Blues 1x15. It will out rock my Les Paul on the bridge pickup full on treble and the amp turned up just under where the pickup microphones with distortion on. No sustain to speak of But the Les Paul does that well. Samick makes a guitar just like it ( they may make the Joe Pass?).
nhslim
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:58 am

> I have an Epiphone Joe Pass and I love it. It's clear and
>clean and jazzy on the neck pickup through my Peavy Delta
>Blues 1x15. It will out rock my Les Paul on the bridge
>pickup full on treble and the amp turned up just under where
>the pickup microphones with distortion on. No sustain to
>speak of But the Les Paul does that well. Samick makes a
>guitar just like it ( they may make the Joe Pass?).

I don't know if they make a Joe Pass model, but that Epi signature model was the first hollowbody I ever played. This was when all I had was my humble strat. I remember an older guy comin up to me after I put it back and asking me, "Pardon me, but why did you pick up that guitar?" At the time I didn't really know anything about the technical aspect of guitars. I wasn't sure if he was calling me stupid for picking up a guitar he thought was junk, or what. All I know is that I liked the sound of hollowbodies. Turns out he was a jazz teacher/musician at the Boca Music Center and told me that he had never seen someone "of my age" pick up a hollowbody. He continued to educate me on Joe Pass (who I had never really heard of at the time). I actually almost bought a beat-up epiphone hollowbody (not the Joe Pass model) before I was shown an Ibanez artcore.
savage
Regular

Postby sonny » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:07 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-05 AT 09:07 PM (EST)]> I have an Epiphone Joe Pass and I love it. It's clear and
>clean and jazzy on the neck pickup through my Peavy Delta
>Blues 1x15. It will out rock my Les Paul on the bridge
>pickup full on treble and the amp turned up just under where
>the pickup microphones with distortion on. No sustain to
>speak of But the Les Paul does that well. Samick makes a
>guitar just like it ( they may make the Joe Pass?).

Sorry for this temp. hijacking of your post, but I've got a question on the Epi Joe Pass. I've been eyeing a jazz box and that particular guitar for a while now. I know jazzers will frown on this question but whats the deal with the bridge... I'm leaning more towards a jazzed blues with my electric playing but don't want to stray from the string bending it took me years to perfect (in my head anyway). Can the bridge handle the bends or is that a huge negative on that style bridge? My buddies got a Joe Pass that I noodled around on a couple of years ago before I ever considered getting one and while I was playing he said, "don't bend the strings, the bidge can't handle it!". The guitar was brand new and he could have just been being anal about it, but I've been meaning to ask someone about that for a while.

Also, how does the box sound through a 1 X 15"?

I play an ES-333 through a Blues Deluxe Reissue 1 X 12" and it nails my dream tone but I was wondering about the 15" speakers with a jazz guitar.

Thanks,
Sonny
sonny
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:27 am

I can't imagine that string bending would hurt the bridge.

Grady's got an Epi Joe Pass. Haven't heard him mention it lately. I've heard him play some terrific stuff on it, and I'm pretty sure Grady bent plenty on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby sonny » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:46 am

>I can't imagine that string bending would hurt the bridge.
>
>Grady's got an Epi Joe Pass. Haven't heard him mention it
>lately. I've heard him play some terrific stuff on it, and
>I'm pretty sure Grady bent plenty on it.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

That's what I would figure... I'd just like to confirm it with someone who actually plays one. I hope Grady chimes into this thread.
sonny
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:13 am

The worst thing that would happen bendin strings on that bridge would result in the breakin of a string. Some of those bridges may not alow as much bending, but the bridge should be fine. Just gotta find out how much pressure is too much. You may even decide to tune the guitar down a half-step for a little more slack.
savage
Regular

Postby onlyfingers » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:43 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-05 AT 06:43 AM (EST)]>
>
>do u finger pick with or without picks?

I fingerpick with fingernails, no picks. Most of what I do is chord (rhythm) accompaniment for choir in church. The other instruments are piano, Yamaha Clavinova (a very good sampling keyboard, which, BTW, has a nice-sounding "crunch guitar" model), percussion, and bass. Four or five vocalists. In that mess, fingerpicking can get lost, but it works sometimes in instrumetal breaks, and other times when I am accompaning a soloist.

onlyfingers
onlyfingers
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:47 pm

>That's what I would figure... I'd just like to confirm it
>with someone who actually plays one. I hope Grady chimes
>into this thread.

As I said, I don't own one yet, but I've played (more than) a few. Bending caused every bridge to fall off! no! They mostly stayed put, but the earth moved.

What your friend was probably worried about is that the bridge, like that of a violin, might not be glued down and therefore might move. It's not going to move when it's tuned up.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitar