Benefit gigs

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Benefit gigs

Postby oleman » Mon May 19, 2008 4:00 am

My trio and I were asked to play a benefit for victims of a forest fire here in the Rocky mt. west. Fifty families lost everything. I just want to encourage all my brothers and sisters in the music business to volunteer their talent if such a situation arises somewhere around your neck of the woods. "There but for the grace of God" and all that....

The gig was fun, met some great people and got a couple future gigs out of the appearance.
oleman
Regular

Re: Benefit gigs

Postby jeffl » Mon May 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Good on ya', oleman. And those things can be fun to go to, as well. I won a $1500 gift certificate for a 2-nite stay at a 5 Star hotel, including meals,champagne, etc., with about $20 in raffle ticket purchases at a flood victims' benefit last fall. Musicians always seem to step up to the plate to help out in those situations.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ashm86 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm

On thursday of this week (May 7th) I am hosting a Diabetes Blues review. My daughter was diagnosed on January 27th of this year. The show will be at a local watering hole that holds 60 people. The show sold out yesterday. For 20 bux, people are getting a 6oz fillet with a baked tater and ceaser salad along with a night of blues. WE will be holding a raffle for a painting that was donated to raise additional funds. This in conjunction with my wife's efforts with the JDRF walk for the cure should put us over 3000 dollars raised!

I will be getting up and playing a few songs:

Little Red rooster(A)
A Boogie in A(A)
Dust My Broom(D)
It Hurts Me Too (D)
Various 12 bar blues in D/E or G/A

IT will be my first "real" gig. I can hardly wait. I already have butterflies, but in a good way if that makes sense.
Diabetes Blues Revue flyer.jpg
ashm86
Regular

Postby ashm86 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Forgot to add a link to the online donation page...

http://jdrfca.donordrive.com/index.cfm? ... antID=1711
ashm86
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Good luck with it all.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ashm86 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks man!

I have to say, I am impressed by people's generosity. I figured we'd raise about 500 bux...
ashm86
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu May 07, 2009 11:10 am

We do alot of benifit gigs. Four times a year we go to the V.A. Hosp. and perform, I guess that all of our gigs could be clasified as benifits because all of the money we bring in goes into a outreach fund to help local families with food, elect bills, car repairs and such. It is very rewarding to help others. Keep up the good work gang in the end there is a reward of peace to you. By the way if you remember a month ago I had asked about a mixer board and some monitors. Well out of the blue someone gave us a brand new 14 channel peavey board and monitors. We don't know who they just put them with our gear at the church where we practice with a note: From God to you keep up the good work. I guess that is a reward don't you think so? Peace P.H.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby ashm86 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Well, the event was lots of fun. We had a full room (60 people). We had to turn away about 15 walkins because we were at capacity. We ended up making over 1000 dollars. That money along with my wife's online pledges makes our total up over 3000 dollars!

I would whole heartedly do it again. IT was not that much work and the results of that little work paid huge dividends. Not only in money for hte JDRF but also in having a great time.

Working on your karma makes you feel good...
ashm86
Regular

Postby Randy G. Blues » Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm

oleman wrote:My trio and I were asked to play a benefit for victims of a forest fire here in the Rocky mt. west. Fifty families lost everything. I just want to encourage all my brothers and sisters in the music business to volunteer their talent if such a situation arises somewhere around your neck of the woods.

I just joined this forum... You may remember the large fires in Northern California last year... VERY close to me, and Mom's place as well. Lots of folks I knew and friends lost everything other than what they were wearing at the time and a car, and some got out with less than that. I gave a car I no longer used to one fellow. But about a week ago our group signed on to play as the Sunday headliner at a local, three-day benefit for the fire victims.

The fellow I gave the car- I saw him a few weeks afterwards and he thanked me because the car let him get a job in town, which helped his recovery efforts dramatically. I am not bragging- just trying to motivate others. It can be as simple as putting out a can at a gig or donating one busking day a month towards some charity. let folks even write checks made out to the charity to show things on the up and up. Maybe you have an old gas-guzzling truck you don't use that isn't worth all that much any more. Donate it!

Another benefit I will play when asked is anything that benefits music in the schools programs.

12 bar karma in A.
Randy G. Blues
Regular

Return to About Gigs