Best USB MIC?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Sun May 18, 2008 9:47 am

What would be the best mic for USB connection?

I want to record Crossroads, However right now I can record it with the digitech rp150 but it cuts my sound down by half and you wouldn't be able to hear MY TONE my TRUE tone.

So what would be the best bet?

Maybe wait and get a mini mac & usb mic & the band in the box?
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby 1dustyeod » Sun May 18, 2008 11:26 pm

I like MXL's. I saw that they make one that has a USB input. Also..... IF you have a mixing board (8-16 channel) you can use it to go into your computer and use any kind of mike you'd like. Just use the stereo output from the board and go into the 'puter...... Hope that helps a little.

:D 8) :roll:
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 pm

1dustyeod wrote:I like MXL's. I saw that they make one that has a USB input. Also..... IF you have a mixing board (8-16 channel) you can use it to go into your computer and use any kind of mike you'd like. Just use the stereo output from the board and go into the 'puter...... Hope that helps a little.

:D 8) :roll:
So maybe get a mixer? I'll be using a reso guitar to record crossroads that's why I'm asking .

I was thinking of recording it with a canon zr56 camcorder
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby ricochet » Mon May 19, 2008 2:13 pm

All I've used is one of those desktop mics intended for voice control of the computer and dictation. An Apple "Plain Talk" mic, specifically. Works fine.
User avatar
ricochet
Regular
 
Posts: 10256
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Mon May 19, 2008 7:35 pm

ricochet wrote:All I've used is one of those desktop mics intended for voice control of the computer and dictation. An Apple "Plain Talk" mic, specifically. Works fine.
I've tried a mic like that a long time ago to re cord some of my rock riff's and it sucked so bad I had to take it back.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 am

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=273102

There you go. MXL makes a great mike. I don't care which model you get. They're all good. I used to use my Carvin 16 StudioMate until I built my Mobile Recording Unit. I still use my MXL's though. Every chance I get.

:D 8) :roll:
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 20, 2008 1:00 pm

1dustyeod wrote:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-V63MBP-Computer-Desktop-Recording-Kit?sku=273102

There you go. MXL makes a great mike. I don't care which model you get. They're all good. I used to use my Carvin 16 StudioMate until I built my Mobile Recording Unit. I still use my MXL's though. Every chance I get.

:D 8) :roll:
I was thinking of that one but I'll a mic with a semi long cord so I can use my music stand as a mic stand :)
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed May 21, 2008 1:22 pm

They DO make USB extensions/adaptors friend......

:D 8) :roll:
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 pm

1dustyeod wrote:They DO make USB extensions/adaptors friend......

:D 8) :roll:
How would it do picking up a Resonator guitar?
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

Probably quite well. I can say nothing but good things about those mikes.... Of course, one has to experiment a little and find the 'sweet spot' distance and position wise but that has to be done with any mike you have in your arsenal. For the money though, they can't be beat IMHO...... I have two of the 990's, 2 V69's (green and gold) and two other black MXL's. I buy 'em in pairs so I can set 'em up in stereo arrays.... Man..... talk about nice tones...

:D 8) :roll:
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Thu May 22, 2008 11:56 am

1dustyeod wrote:Probably quite well. I can say nothing but good things about those mikes.... Of course, one has to experiment a little and find the 'sweet spot' distance and position wise but that has to be done with any mike you have in your arsenal. For the money though, they can't be beat IMHO...... I have two of the 990's, 2 V69's (green and gold) and two other black MXL's. I buy 'em in pairs so I can set 'em up in stereo arrays.... Man..... talk about nice tones...

:D 8) :roll:
well I just need a good basic mic that will pick up a tricone.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 22, 2008 5:45 pm

It'll pick up up just fine friend..... If you get one and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you have in it. Having another one in my collection won't hurt me a bit.

:D 8) :roll:
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Fri May 23, 2008 2:12 pm

I wish I could pick up a 2 channel mixer and this XML mic for about $70? since that's all I have for cash at the time for the month.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Best USB MIC?

Postby Derekslide » Sat May 24, 2008 10:45 pm

Also got me a sweet mic ordered with a diafram & mic stand.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm


Return to Recording

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest