Etiquette in a bar

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Etiquette in a bar

Postby mike932 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 am

This weekend we were performing at one of the nicest places in the Boise Valley. There was a young lady dancing who was wearing hip hugger jeans. To make a long story short, she was showing plumbers cleavage , big time. This young lady should be be told that wearing hip hugger jeans , along with spandex is a privilege and not a right, she did not have a flattering figure. The lady in questions pants became so low we were singing blurbs of "Blue Moon" between songs. Jason, the kid in our band finally grabbed a mic and said, anybody showing butt crack needs to solve the problem. The young lady never caught on and ignored Jason's comment. Well, we along with the rest of the patrons had a few laughs after the "Young Lady's" friend finally caught on and hoisted her friends pants up. The young lady's underwear must of been in the laundry as she was obviously not wearing any. Anyways it made for an interesting night.
mike932
Regular

Re: Etiquette in a bar

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:52 am

Yesterday a young man in the waiting room got up when his name was called and showed most of his crack. Most of the waiting patients laughed heartily at him, and one, apparently an off-duty cop, said "I wish I'd brought my ticket book. I would've written him up for crack." That provoked a great outburst of laughter.

I think laughing at the bozos is the most discouraging thing to that sort of behavior. He was likely doing it because he wanted to look "bad."
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu May 01, 2008 9:48 am

ricochet wrote:I think laughing at the bozos is the most discouraging thing to that sort of behavior. He was likely doing it because he wanted to look "bad."

Bad? My dear old chap, he looked positively dreadful.

Never quite understood how walking round like a badly dressed 4 year old is supposed to impress people. How on earth are you supposed to look "good" when you keep having to grab your trousers? And sorry to tell the wearers, the knee length crotch just looks like you've had an accident. really.

Actually had one young woman stand up in the library as I was walking through, and I damn near saw the lot face on because she was standing up but her jeans and knickers stayed put. She only just got them back in place in time.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 pm

I don't bother people because of the way they are dressed at my gigs. I have had women take off their shirts and dance in front of the stage. I have seen men flash the croud by pulling down their trousers and underwear. I have seen bar tenders kick people out for lude behavior but that's what they do. My job is to get them dancing and thirsty. One guy in Idaho thought he was Joe sexy. He would pull his shirt up and grope himself out on the dance floor. Well he jumped up on stage and started to do that and I pushed him off. He looked he was going to come at me and I just shook my head no as I continued playing the song. This young man would grab his girlfriend and they would dance like they were screwing. Him humping her in the front then turn her around and bend her over and hump her from the rear. I thought it was very distasteful but it wasn't my place to determine what is allowed and what isn't. I was there to play the bass.
As far as the baggy pants, I agree, they look like clowns. I live in a gang infested part of town and these fools have made me laugh so many times. Idiots. They are just imitating the images they see on their favorite hip hop disc's.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:17 am

I usually don't say anything , but this is a classy place, (we were the dinner show), the kind of place which has cloth napkins and way too many forks. The lady did not know she was showing her very large butt crack. People were trying to eat. I enjoy the hooter shots and other nonsense when we play the dives. Actually the dives are more fun.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 pm

The leader of the band I am in has a woman who comes and there has been a few times where she got drunk and caused a scene. That's embarrassing, bringing the problem with you. When she drinks beer she's alright but tequila makes her crazy. My wife comes and has a few but she knows not to get drunk. If we are driving back to Utah from Idaho or Wyoming or even Salt Lake, Karry doesn't drink becasue she has to drive back. I am to beat to do it. I'm not tired mind you, I am wired on soda pop and rockin' blues. My wife helps set up and tear down so I give her half the money I get from the shows.
It is a drag when you bring the problem to the bar!
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm

This thread reminds me of this video:

http://www.avclub.com/content/videocracy/5378
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:09 am

Hey DCBLUES,
I was wondering if your band covers "Strollin Bones"? After listening to your video, your band would rock the juke with the song. The only version I have heard was buy T-Bone Walker and Gatemouth Brown, it is a real "make their butts move and shake" tune. I am trying to talk our band into doing it, but they want to work on more slow pieces.
mike932
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu May 08, 2008 1:12 am

Mike, no, we don't do that one, but we're always open to suggestions.

We do a lot of originals, and the covers we do are pretty eclectic. We cover some standard blues (Let The Good Times Roll, Down Home Blues, You Don't Have To Go, Easy, Stormy Monday, Mystery Train); some jazz (All Blues, Misty, Don't Get Around Much Anymore - but it's the Big Walter version, so that's more of a blues tune); some soul (Midnight Hour, Rainy Night In Georgia, Soul Man, What I'd Say); some funk (Gonna Take You Higher, Real Mother For Ya); some rock (Long Train Running, Money, The Twist, Good Golly Miss Molly).

It's a pretty interesting and varied mix, and the audiences sure like it. A couple of years ago Bill Wax from XM radio saw us at a show and told me that it doesn't matter that we cover Mustang Sally (the song all blues bands hate to do) because, "You had 200 people dancing to it!" (or something like that). We definitely get the butts shaking when we play.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 am

Strollin with Bones is one I had never heard, which is a good thing. A song which may be a good one to cover because nobody else does it. It is an instrumental , two guitars smoking away. When I heard it I thought about your power house band. I was really impressed with your video, the way you guys pass the solo is the best. I am playing in two bands, we rock in one, mellow in the other. Keeps me away from boredom. The mellow band we play originals and we have people follow us from gig to gig. Doing another dinner show this Friday, gotta break out the nice clothes and knock the dust off of them.
mike932
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:47 am

Night vision shot of me at the "Full Moon" incident.
mike932
Regular

Return to About Gigs