Squier pick-ups?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Squier pick-ups?

Postby savage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:42 pm

i realize that, but does it really make a significant difference whether the block is solid or not?
savage
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 am

The block is solid (except for the holes in it), but some are thinner than others. I haven't played the same guitar with a thin block and then a thick one, so I couldn't tell you. Some people say it makes a big difference, but then some people think having cloth-wrapped wires inside the guitar is important (hint: those people are [em]misinformed[/em]).

It's my belief that changing the electronics (pickups, caps, amp) make more of a difference with an electric guitar than anything else.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 am

The blocks after, I don't know, '69 or so changed to pot metal and the old styles were rolled steel. BIG DIFFERENCE in tone transferrence. Then some accounting genious came up with the half blocks for the cheaper models too losing even more of the 'original' sound of a strat for the entry models. Just as setting the PUs to tilt a little bit lower on the bass side. Its really hard to get the true strat tone without those two things to my ears. I like to 'hear' the springs. I can 'hear' the difference between a hardtail and a trem model for sure. But, as in anything, its all a matter of personal taste. I've set up alot of strats for people trying to cop my tone and they all leave smiling. So.... Try it if you want. If you like it keep it. If not..... its just a screwdriver turn or two back to the way it was. You'll definately hear a difference though.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:18 am

i appreciate you guys answerin all my questions.

I've got one more... Do most strats come stock with 5 springs? Mine only has 3 in it, but I have extra springs to put on (and do the extra 2 springs make much of a difference with the tremolo?).
savage
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-06 AT 08:51 PM (EST)]My two only came with the three. I just took two out of one and put them on the other. The first one has the [link:lonelyfridge.com/guitar/vibrato_block/|tremolo blocked] with a piece of ash, disabling it, however, so it doesn't suffer for missing the two springs.

I may yet block the new one, but I'm content with the five springs for now.

The springs along with tightening the claw into the body hold the bridge flush on the body, despite the fact that it's got .011s on it. I don't actually use the whammy bar, but if I did, it would be harder to use, and I'd only be able to lower the pitch, rather than raising it, as the bridge is flush on the body.

By moving the bridge flush (and tightly so), my guitar won't go out of tune if I pop a string, and it's easier to tune to open E (though there's enough tension to raise the bridge, so it's not perfect, so if I'm using it a lot for slide, it's going to get blocked).

Again, it's just a personal preference.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby savage » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:34 am

I see, thanks again for the insight. I have been using the whammy bar recently on my strat. The other half of me (which hopefully none of you will ever have to hear) likes to mess around with distortion and making strange noises with my guitar.
savage
Regular

Postby cllvt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 pm

You guys come through again with tons of info.! Well, I pulled out the strat last night, and also printed some set-up instructions off the Fender site for strats. Strange thing was that my pickups were really LOW. I raised them to approximately the recommended height, and the sound was much better. The B string (if I recall correctly) was still pretty nasally sounding, but the others were not bad? Go figure. I think possibly the height/radius of the bridge set-up is a bit off.

The photos were great in helping the explainations. I had considered "blocking" this guitar before, but actually it doesn't get used all that much, and I use it mostly as mess around guitar, so I think I would like to leave the whammy (or actually - put it back on if I can find it, my son removed it a while ago.

If I have time tonight I will give it another shot. Thanks again.
cllvt
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I don't have my Strat blocked, but I do have 5 springs and they are tight. The bar stays in the case as that is how you keep your guitar in tune. Take it off, put it in the case and never touch it again. My other guitar with a trem only has 3 springs but again they are tight and I don't use it. Most of my instruments are of the fixed bridge variety.
trguitar
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Hey Savage,

I'm not a guitar tech, so i can't help you there. Looks like you're getting lots of good advice here anyway. I am a Squier strat player (Affinity Fat Strat), so here are a couple of thoughts --

I had mine tricked out by a pro guitar tech. He blocked the trem (I never used the whammy) and set up the pups. Sounds great now.

Are you sure the "nasal" sound isn't just the trademark strat "quack"? You will get that on PU positions 2 and 4. Also depends on what kind of amp and your settings as to HOW nasal.

Finally, there's a great forum for Squier owners at http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?d ... 1915:09:24

They can answer just about any question you've got and are also very helpful people. There are several guitar techs there who are experts on Squier pups and other stuff.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going!

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 pm

heh, I don't get any kind of "nasal" sound. My pickups are set to my liking. The neck PU on mine has been set with the bass side slightly lower than the rest. I'll propbably order those new alnico pickups in a week or so though, just wanna get a smoother B string and a little more bite.
savage
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar