Looking for an easy blues song

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Looking for an easy blues song

Postby ZepBlues » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:17 am

So here's the deal. I'm a beginner, and I'm looking for tabs of an easy blues song.
Something relatively easy, but still sounds good. It's kinda hard to describe what I mean.
I'm not familiar with a lot of songs, easy or hard, so I'm wondering if someone can suggest something easy to start out on. I have some blues instruction books, but the songs in them aren't that great. I like learning theory, scales, etc. but I want something to work on, so I can put some of what I've learned into practice. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZepBlues
ZepBlues
Regular

Re: Looking for an easy blues song

Postby Axis29 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Well, you could approach it from a couple of different directions actually...

You could try a lick based song, like Crosscut Saw or maybe Dust My Broom. Or, you could try learning the progressions for a basic 12 bar blues (Kansas City or Sweet Home Chicago) or some of the other patterns like an 8 bar blues (Key To The Highway)? This opens up a myriad of songs, because most songs fall into a standard pattern, even the lick based ones will move around within one of the standard patterns a lot of the time.
Axis29
Regular

Postby david » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 am

How about "You Gotta Move" by Fred McDowell? That's about the first slide song most folks learn. You should be able to find tab for it (try Kay Uwegraw's collection of tabs) and there are dozens of different recordings of it.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:45 am

That's the first one I figured out all by myself by listening to it. Still one of my favorites!
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Fri May 02, 2008 12:53 pm

And don't forget the pedophile song: "Good Morning Little School Girl." Get the basic structure in your head and turn the slide loose.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar Tabs