I HAD TO DO IT

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

I HAD TO DO IT

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:15 pm

I have been playing a MIM Precision for a year now. I ain't been happy with the tone. Bought new amps but still not happy. I grabbed my Squire Precision that has the blade pickup in it and the larger capacitor and man did it sound good going thru the Bassman 250. Deep, smooth notes came out of the amp. Sounded beautiful. Why did I ever put it in the closet. I had ordered another blade pick up and capacitors from Stew-Mac a year ago when I got the MIM Precision but never had them put in. Well, yesterday I took every thing to the music store and they are modifying it as I type. I will use the Squire this weekend tho because I doubt the black bass will be done. The MIM bass is heavier and feels better built than the Squire. The action on the black bass is perfect for me. I'm excited to get it back. Deep tones and crisp mids. There is no dead spots with the blades and they are a hotter pickup than the standard pole pickups from Fender. I should of had the black bass done a year ago. As with the Squire, I am thinking of taking off the Fender logo on the black bass. It won't be a Fender when it gets back to me, will it? I'm thinking of having the sign shop make me stickers that say "RUSTY BASS" to put on the black one. The Squire is red and has a "Skinny Bob Blues" sticker on it instead of the Squire logo.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: I HAD TO DO IT

Postby mike932 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:07 am

I have a Squire which has been rebuilt. I wanted to rebuild it just to say i did. I put 1/4 pounders and new pot, bada$$ bridge, MIM fretless jazz neck and Nylon stringes. My friend did the final setup. The thing is a creature from not of this world. I use it through a synthesizer into a bassman 10 tube amp, 4X10 speakers. I have no plans on gigging with it. The thing is just fun to play. I replaced the fender decals with a peace sign. Making it was fun, thinking about doing it again. Next time I will use active pickups. Thinking about using an old Peavey Zodiac for the body and neck. Ibanez has a new good looking bass with a retro look , 2x2 tuners that would make a great frankenbass.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 pm

That bass does sound interesting. How does it sound? Why won't you gig with it?
The black bass ain't done yet so I played the red one in Malad. The gig there went well although I was fighting a severe head cold and had so much cold remedy medicine in me, I didn't feel real good.
At Saturdays gig I noticed my amp (I've noticed this before) seemed to peter out on the higher notes. Like they disappeared. I cranked on the treble of my Bassman 250 and got some noise from it. This morning I was practicing to the drum machine and noticed the eq lights coming on with every beat, six of the seven levels lit up. An idea struck. I plugged my bass into the Berringer pa head and played up and down the neck. The bass made 63hz and 160hz light right up but that was it. On the first string highest fret, 400hz barely lit up, even with the tone knob all the way up. I plugged back in to the Bassman. I have them middle eq's I can adjust from 150-700hz and another that goes from 800-1.5hz. Well if my guitar ain't putting out anything over 200-400hz then having the eq above that made no sense. I have the 150-700hz set at about 200-250 and the other one set at 800hz, it's the lowest setting. I also cranked the horn to 3/4 max and I'll be darn if that amp didn't come alive. All the way up and down the fret board the notes rang out very evenly. It is deep and smooth but now every note plays. Should I had known this already? Some times these discoveries make me feel stoopid. We have no gigs this coming weekend because I'm on call at work but after that we're playing every weekend for the next three months. I can't wait to hear what my "break through" discovery is gonna sound like.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:17 am

The bass sounds great, a real thumper. I won't gig with it , cause I built it. Afraid it may fall apart at the wrong time. I have two made is US fenders I gig with. I just bought a MusicMan Stingray (Ernie Ball). I bought it because a friend needed money. I am afraid to gig with it, afraid of scratches , the thing is beautiful , sunburst. I keep it in a nice secure place. If somebody were to offer me the right price I would sell it. I have played it through tube and solid state amps, the sound is amazing. I now see why they are popular, the workmanship is flawless , just picking it up one can feel the quality of design. I used to dream of owning a boutique bass, not anymore, I have scratchaphobia.
mike932
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 pm

My first Precision was a Squier II I picked up for about a hundred bucks, then put a Basslines Quarter Pound on. I liked it so much I traded it in on a Fender Classic '50s P (love the maple fingerboard) and installed the same pickup on it. It's strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats (expensive, but long lasting and sound great) and that's what I've gigged with ever since.

The P is a killer, if you get the right combination. I currently have three (the Classic '50s, a Standard with a fretless neck, and a '51 P Reissue). Love them Ps!
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:17 pm

lpdelux, where'd you get the Standard fretless? Is it a 70's? I've seen them but can't find any for sale,just them Jazz models. I have always liked the P-Bass. It feels good in my hands and if I had to defend myself with it I don't think it would it at all. Made tough.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:19 pm

I got the black P-bass back with the electronics changed. It sounds deep and smooth like the red one now. They adjusted the neck and set it up which bummed me out. I had it perfect. The guy who set it up is brillant at it. I'm sure he saw the low action and had to fix it back to factory. I've known him for 25 years and he is good. I have been playing it and getting used to the higher action. Actually the red bass has that higher action also. I played it again today and I am starting to really like it. He also intonated the beast. I had to raise the pickups up a tad so the input volume to the amp was more balanced. I use the input light on the amp to help do that. If it's a weak signal the yellow light barely comes on. Now as I play across the strings and up and down the neck the light is pretty even in brightness no matter where I am playing. Yeah, got the black one back. I dig P-basses.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:48 am

I would be willing to work a trade for the right Fender P-bass. I have a Ernie Ball Stingray , sunburst, incredible bass, but I am a Fender Fan. I will not argue at anytime about which bass is better. I have heard musicians make Squires and low end ibanez's sound incredible, and have heard buffoons like me make Warwicks sound like ka-ka. I am just a fan of Fenders, nostalgia mostly. I tried to bargain with a guy last Sunday for his 68 Fender P Bass. I thought he was going to kill me when I made an offer, the bass was definitely not for sale, but he let me play it. Too much fun and it sounded great.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:59 pm

It's Friday the 25th, I try out the modified black P-Bass tonight at a show, well tonight and tomorrow night. I'm also excited to cranked up the amp after my eq discovery. In my house I can't turn the amp up too loud, the bass is deep and smooth and moves thru walls like they ain't even there. I can hardly wait, 2 more hours till show time. I am taking both basses tonight and will for awhile until I can trust the black bass completely.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Played last weekend and on Friday night the black MIM P-bass sounded alright but not quite like the red Squire. They have the same electronics in them, pickups ect, but the red Squire sounds so much sweeter. Saturday night I pulled the red one out of it's case and declared it the "main" axe at the end of the night. The black one is for practice and backup. I think the Squire is a slightly thinner body, perhaps that is why it was a sweeter vibration to it. I know the tuners are smaller than the MIM bass. For whatever reason the red bass wins the job. Had a good time both nights tho. Playing live in the dives always makes for an interesting evening.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 pm

bigdaddy wrote:lpdelux, where'd you get the Standard fretless? Is it a 70's? I've seen them but can't find any for sale,just them Jazz models. I have always liked the P-Bass. It feels good in my hands and if I had to defend myself with it I don't think it would it at all. Made tough.

The fretless is a Fender Standard FSR Precision from MF that I bought last Fall for $450. The neck is a Warmoth with an unlined maple fingerboard and P nut width (I can't handle the skinny J necks). I had Warmoth finish it and cut a nut for it, so all I had to buy were a set of Schaller tuners and a string tree. It cost around $375 for everything, including shipping. Here's a link to a photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19652150@N02/2068468907/

The neck came with side dots at the positions where the III, V, VII, IX, XII, XV and XVII frets would be on a fretted neck. I recently bought a roll of thin silver pinstriping tape from an auto parts shop and put them on the side of the neck at all fret positions...the dots worked for simple songs, but it was hard to boogie without a little more guidance!

I kept the rosewood fingerboard fretted neck so I can sell it with both. My other Ps are a Classic '50s and a '51 RI, so it may be apparent that I like maple fingerboards.

Sorry for the delay in responding -- I've been away.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom