Great gig tonight

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Great gig tonight

Postby mike932 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:51 am

I was playing harp and some bass at tonights gig, broke the fun barrier. After we played Statsborough Blues a Hottie gave me a kiss on the cheeck and said "I love the way you played the harmonica, reminded me of how my Dad used to play". Made my day, "it's good to be the harp player".
mike932
Regular

Re: Great gig tonight

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Isn't it great when a hottie tells you you remind her of her dad, and it still makes your day? :mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 am

awww, you spoiled it for me Ricco, you put the kiss into perspective. Now I just feel old. Better wash the lipstick off of my face .
mike932
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Yes would make me feel like a harmless old fart.......not good....

I want to be.....Danger Man
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm OK with being a sweet harmless old fart.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:45 pm

We were doing a gig Saturday night at a new bar in a resort town in Idaho. The bar was pretty full I thought but I was told by the managment that it's still the "off" season. They loved what we did and deals were made to get us back though out the summer when the place is packed. Anyway, I wear old timey western shirts. The shirts are beutiful with fancy yokes and piping and such and they have snaps instead of buttons. After the second set I was standing on the stage to go when the band was asked to do a musical chair thing for the ladies to play. I was hot so before I put my bass back on I pulled the front of my shirt open, snaps unbuckled from bottom to top. I stood there with my arms spread out and the shirt in in each hand. I told the ladies "just because I am bearing my chest doesn't mean you have to." Well, five women pulled up their shirts and a few more un done there's and gave everyone a look. I almost passed out. How easy it is to lead them astray when they've had a few drinks and have been dancing to the music. If only I would use this power for good but don't count on it. We are going back to this resort town. We were told by the owner and managment that we were the best band they have had there in years. I told the manager, a woman, that I sent her a DVD and CD of the band over a year ago. She said she doesn't listen to the packages that get mailed to her.She was told about us from a bar owner in another part of Idaho who heard us when we played a bar in northern Utah and she hired us on the spot. We play her bar for the first time this Friday night. Word of mouth. The bar last Saturday was a riot to play, I hope the bar this Friday is as wild and as much fun. We played a VFW in Salt Lake City last Friday to a crowd that just sat there. I told the gig lady no more gigs there. I love the bars and clubs that appreciate what we do. It's alot of work to have people just sit there and do nothing. Am I arrogant?
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:38 am

Hey Big Daddy,
Man let me know when you are back in my neck of the woods. You must have been playing at Tamarac, that is about two hour drive from here, Boise . I would like to meet you and hear your music. The ladies here are wild , but not wooly. If you were at Tamarac you have hit paydirt, that is one gig we are aiming for. We haven't been together for very long but we are getting gigs on a steady basis. If it was Tamarac your foot will be in the door for Sun Valley, they actually pay a decent nights pay there, but you have to put up with the rich and famous. Both Sun Valley and Tamarac are full of movie stars and trust fund babies, lot's of cash flowing there. I am anxious to hear your band, you must be REAL GOOD to land that gig. Congratulations Sir. I just had a brain f@#t, you may have been in teton County, near Driggs and jackson Hole Wyoming, sama applies for that area as it does for the other two. Driggs is close to Yellowstone Park, Island Park, Palasades and Jackson Hole which is a big money area. Our economy is in the shi**er due to the mining, agriculture and logging industries decline, so we babysit rich people who want the "back to nature " experience. Colorado is laughing their a$$ off at us, they have been putting up with it for years. It's a Catch 22, we need the money, but the high rollers who play here drive up the property values and cost of living which make it tough for the people who actually "live here" to survive. A good thing and a bad thing. Utah is having the same problem. Okay, I am stepping off my soapbox now.
mike932
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 pm

The last bit sounds like the English countryside, wonder if it's the same in other countries?

Hope you all get good gigs anyway, and if anybody queries the price, add up studio rehearsal time, transport, equipment costs, times the number of years it took to get good enough to gig. Pay probably works out at $1 or 50p for every ten hours :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Mike932, it was in Lava Hot Springs, The Blue Moon. I need to know about Tamarac, you say that place is in Boise? I'll google the address. I like rich people as long as they are paying me.I really think we are an average band but people simply trip out because of our guitraist/singer. This cat is very good. We get told we're the best band that has played these bars where we go. Either that is true or the music scene in Utah and Idaho is pitiful. I think the make up of the band has some dynamics also. We all come different parts of the spectrum of music and society. Remember I only see these cats on gig nights. We are playing in Malad this Friday night, April 11, at a joint called Limericks. I have never been there nor has the band. The drummer stopped in a week ago to check it out and says it looks like the kind of place that rocks. He said it's in the middle of town and easy to find.Come on down if you can. It's an hour from my home town of Ogden Utah. I would love to hear your opinion of what we do. We do have fun and we are more of a jam band than anything. I am the bass man and with the shirt I'm wearing this Friday night you couldn't miss me if you wanted to.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Mike932, I get it, Tamarack is a ski resort. Yes Utah is having the rich come in and drive up taxes which makes it hard for the local to pay them. I hope Malad ain't to far from Boise. About ski resorts. We have tried to break in to Park City but to no avail. We only try a couple of times and then write them off. Park City is being written off. Maybe we ain't got the look, I'm 52, Skinny is 54 and Darren is 40. Perhaps them ski resorts want that 20's look. Don't matter to me. We have decided to persue places that really appreciate what we do. We have played a few bars that were boring so we ain't going back at any cost. Okay, twice our normal pay and we'll play. I'm excited about Malad on Friday. The owner of this bar got us the Lava show and she hired us on the spot in Garland Utah, for three months of gigs plus her big 4th of July party at her bar. That's being appreciated.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:11 am

Hey Bigdaddy,

Lava and Malad are on the opposite end of the state from me, however I grew up in that area. Lava is where everybody goes to soak their bones after skiing at Caribou and Grand targhee. I was hoping you were at Tamarac, real close by. Malad is a very "Country Music area, however the Blues always fit in . Lava is also known for the great fishing up by Peeble, and there used to be a bar in the area named Whiskey Mike's, but that was years ago. The town of Pocatello is north of Lava, there used to be a Blues Club there , Michelles. There are about 6 clubs in Boise which hire Blues bands, the pay is about $500 to $600 a weekend, not a lot, but most of us play for fun and don't need the money. Keep me posted on when you play in our great state, I will try and make the gig.
mike932
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am

maxx england wrote:The last bit sounds like the English countryside, wonder if it's the same in other countries?

Hope you all get good gigs anyway, and if anybody queries the price, add up studio rehearsal time, transport, equipment costs, times the number of years it took to get good enough to gig. Pay probably works out at $1 or 50p for every ten hours :mrgreen:

Its the same in Australia. I relocated from Byron Bay to central Victoria because the rich and famous moved into Byron Bay and drove all the prices up. The funny thing is that Byron Bay became so well known because a bunch of poor artists, musicians and surf bums turned it into a culturally rich community, which in turn attracted monetarily rich tourists, who eventually took over the place. Ten years ago you could pick a street corner in Byron Bay and busk whenever you wanted, today you have to audition for the town council and then pay them $30 a month to busk where they tell you to.
michelle
Regular

Return to About Gigs