Suitable Strings For Single Cone Reso

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Suitable Strings For Single Cone Reso

Postby abhinav » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 am

Hi all,
I currently play slide in open G on a flattop acoustic using D'addario Mediaum gauge Phosphor Bronze Strings (EJ-17). Are these strings alright
for a single cone steel resonator? Any other choice, which will serve me better? In principlae, i would want to go for the same kind of strings for both kinds of guitars (for convenience, if nothing else). Any other choice, which will sound good on both (assuming i will play slide only on the flattop)?
abhinav
Regular

Re: Suitable Strings For Single Cone Reso

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 am

National ships theirs with phosphor bronze mediums. (13s) They seem to think they'll play OK.

I've gone to nickel electric 12s on about everything I play. Keeps the feel consistent, and they sound fine to me.
ricochet
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:55 am

I too am strictly nickel. They just last forever. I've got Martin "Bluegrass" 16's on my single cone. I wouldn't try that on an acoustic.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Robin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 am

Hi Abhinav,

If you buy a Republic it will probably come fitted with 13-56 GHS phosphor bronze strings, which will be absolutely fine for open G (DGDGBD) or standard tuning. You may want to try nickel strings for that slightly more "trash can" delta sound. Choose pure nickel strings, rather than electric guitar sets which are mainly nickel coated steel. Some of the jazz sets you can buy are pure nickel. Round core pure nickel are the closest to the original 1930s strings you hear on recordings by the likes of Son House - Pure nickel also last a very long time!

If you can buy them in India - I would recommend the Michael Messer National sets made by Newtone (13-56 or 15-56 if you are going to play in open G or open D and not standard) in either phosphor bronze or pure nickel. Newtones are round core strings, so they play and sound differently to other makes. These strings have a tone to die for on reso guitars, and are the cheapest "upgrade" you can do to any reso!

Robin
Robin
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34 am

I'd like to emphasize for beginners NOT to buy nickel COATED electric strings. In 2 weeks they'll sound like wet socks.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

I'm not sure where this business about "coated" strings comes from but the difference between "nickel" strings and "pure nickel" strings is only the alloy used to wrap the wound strings. "Pure nickel" is most definitely not 100% nickel, it's the nickel alloy they used in the old days. It's just a confusing marketing name (vintage nickel would be a better term).

I've never come across any strings wound with plated steel. If you had such a string, instead of the strings tarnishing the plating would wear off and the wound strings would rust outright.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Old Stella wrote:I'd like to emphasize for beginners NOT to buy nickel COATED electric strings. In 2 weeks they'll sound like wet socks.

Absolutely untrue! They sound terrific. They have a brighter tone than any other sort of string (well, I haven't tried stainless), and they last for ages. Especially if you pull them between a finger and thumb dipped in olive oil at installation, which greatly extends the life of any sort of string.
ricochet
Regular

Postby blueslide » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:17 pm

nice tip rico
blueslide
Regular

Postby kotola » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Ricochet . How do you keep the strings from being sticky with olive oil on them ? It seems to me that would tend to attract dirt an grime .I'll give it a try and see what happens. I usally wipe my strings with a silicone cloth before and after I play
kotola
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Don't leave a huge dripping oil slick on them. Just a thin film. Wipe 'em off with a cloth or paper towel. Olive oil doesn't get sticky if there's just a trace. It's a good fretboard lube, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kotola » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks rico.
kotola
Regular

Return to Guitar