recordings with a 1963 harmony amp

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Re: recordings with a 1963 harmony amp

Postby 601blues » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:16 pm

YUP!! I was diggin the Low Tones !! I have several Bushmans Delta frost, I think I have LOW A!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Walter ,I have a gig this Saturday night, solo, Iam gonna debut my new rig!! I took ta dat like a wino to ripple!!HAHA
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 pm

601blues wrote:Walter ,I have a gig this Saturday night, solo, Iam gonna debut my new rig!! I took ta dat like a wino to ripple!!HAHA

that is the way to do it! People will dig your enthusiasm. More people should do it this way and music would be like it was in the early days- a daring adventure! Let me know how it goes. I have a gig saturday as well and am taking my piano with me. Many people discouraged me taking it Memphis for the IBC. I listened. I regret it. Not that it would have made a hoot of a difference with my scores, but I was excited about it. I would have probably made a million mistakes. That is why people were concerned for me. I forgot that this is how I do music-learn it on the stage vs, the regular way- practice for years before doing it public. I remember when I hit Austin. I was able to get gigs in all the top clubs right off. I had only been playing guitar publicly for a couple years. I hid that fact and lied alot about how I had been playing forever. Evan Johns told me to tell the truth. He said - you are giging with the best in the world, most of whom have been at it for decades. He was right. Blow the roof off the place! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 pm

You hit the nail on da head!! I remember when I was a boy in construction,I wanted ta be a carpenter, I learned all the carpenter stuff from the Best old carpenters, but I was still just a carpenters Helper, I asked one old carpenter one day when was I going to be a carpenter??? He replied.....when you say you are!! that turned my life around!!
Same with music, I found that you can practise over and over, and still go out a screw it up!! But the energy of playin Live gets ya over the Hump!! and you all of a sudden lay it all out!!
And Iam the same with my keyboard, Ive takin it out to a gig once,it wasen't cuz I could not play it,I had just never made a spot for it so I fumbled with it, I just need to arrange and include it!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Hey GIG went very well Last night!! Learned a Bunch!! one you can't use the kick drum hammer on the snare!! it sounded like a gun shot everytime!!HAHAH so Iam going to get the brushes,So it was the high hat and kick drum all night! Man and that will work you thats excerise fo sho!!Over all Iam very happy with the out come, it allowed me to be spontanious!!haha :D :D ha,
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:47 pm

601blues wrote:Hey GIG went very well Last night!! Learned a Bunch!! one you can't use the kick drum hammer on the snare!! it sounded like a gun shot everytime!!HAHAH so Iam going to get the brushes,So it was the high hat and kick drum all night! Man and that will work you thats excerise fo sho!!Over all Iam very happy with the out come, it allowed me to be spontanious!!haha :D :D ha,

cool!
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 am

I thought I'd just throw in here on behalf on anyone whos struggling to get material into shape for gigs: thanks guys, knowing two people who have played as many gigs as you have still have to throw new things 'into the fire' to see if they work is nice to know.

I'm trying to work up my first set of songs on reso, and I've been stalling. After reading this, I'm pretty much out of excuses, gottagottagotta.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Yeah Jake, its like Walter said learn the instrument on stage!! Ive never been afraid to try different instruments etc.Iam basicaly a rythym player,without rythym you don't have anything, so the drum thang really helps me out on the reso.I did a couple hrs saturday night jus with the Reso in E and the drums, I don't know what I was playin I just grabbed a groove and held it, I call that free form Blues!!!HAHAHA I made up some words as I went along, and every body loved it,They didn't know I just pulled a rabbit outta my hat!! Thats My ideal of a perfect Band is to be able to move around and play different instruments or whatever is needed on a song,
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 pm

I've jammed with a guy for years who is notorious for changing lyrics midstream on well known tunes. His fans know that when he's performing, you should be listening to his lyrics 'cuz all of a sudden everybody around you will be laughin' their asses off and you won't know why. I love playin' with the guy. I refer to him as a "bard", 'cuz he makes up great tunes on the fly as well. As far as tryin' to learn instruments on stage, I'd oppine that it's not for everybody, although you might be able to improve your adaptive skills that way. I'm thinkin' that some guys can pull it off, while others should avoid it if they struggle too much. "Faking" is a skill that not all are suited for. Big jams are great for learning instruments, 'cuz you can lay back and work on stuff without havin' to carry the freight.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 pm

I agree Jeff 100% however What I was refering too was sometimes I practise an instrument to death, remember last year when I got that Reso Elect, well I found scales and info practised cords and runs etc, But the 1st time I played it live I sucked, But I learned alot about that instrument that night that I don't think I would have learned if I had continued just to practise, So when I went back to the drawing board with it, I believe I had a much better understanding, on what I wanted to work on and how, it made me focus in more, Just like the drum thang, I found out quick I could not use the kick drum mallett,HAHAH!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:32 pm

And you are probably one of those gifted ones, 601. It is fun to explore when playing music, yep. That's one of the reasons I love jammin' with my gang: you never know what the hell's gonna happen, and which direction the music'll take. One of our better guitarists is a straight cover guy; I call him "3:30", 'cuz that's how long his tunes last, lol! I love playin' with him, but he's impervious to improvisational opportunities; just when you think he's gonna let the tune roll with some jammin', he hollers out "incoming" and glides to a stop. It's just the way he's wired. He's been in cover bands since he was 13 yrs. old and he's 60 now. I will say that if you're havin' alotta fun with a gig, the audience will tolerate alot from you, and give you plenty of slack. It's very important to remember to smile and try to infect everybody with the "good time bug". I've been basically learning keyboard on the fly for over 40 years, but since harp's my main instrument, I don't stick with the boards long and hard enough to become "great". I've learned to hide my inadequacies and stick to what I do well on the boards. In a way, it's like herdin' goats...you're always goin' back to swat the slowest one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:01 am

IT was funny as hell!! I started the set off with I want my Caddilliac!! I rehearsed in the studio, It starts with a knock on the door effect, I said man thats perfect with the snare!! In the studio it sounded great!! not to loud!!cuz of the sound control,I have in there! BUT!! in that Bar area MAN it was loud!! like a gun shot!! Anyway I kicked off the song with 3 rapid knocks on the snare with that kick drum mallett!!! and everyone like to jumped over the BAR!!!skeerd the crap outta them!! most were Bikers!!! I couda got shot!!!! man I had to stop and LMAO!! the look on there face!!eyes as big as Dinner Plates!! So I learned why Walter uses brushes!! Iam still laughin!! :D :D
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:54 am

601blues wrote:IT was funny as hell!! I started the set off with I want my Caddilliac!! I rehearsed in the studio, It starts with a knock on the door effect, I said man thats perfect with the snare!! In the studio it sounded great!! not to loud!!cuz of the sound control,I have in there! BUT!! in that Bar area MAN it was loud!! like a gun shot!! Anyway I kicked off the song with 3 rapid knocks on the snare with that kick drum mallett!!! and everyone like to jumped over the BAR!!!skeerd the crap outta them!! most were Bikers!!! I couda got shot!!!! man I had to stop and LMAO!! the look on there face!!eyes as big as Dinner Plates!! So I learned why Walter uses brushes!! Iam still laughin!! :D :D

funny story! I only started using a brush on the snare a few weeks ago. I still use a drum stick taped to the beater 99.9% of the time. I don't hit the pedals hard at all. My overall recording recording volume is no louder than an acoustic guitar. With the light foot touch I can get splashes on the high hat as well. Just figured I share this for food for thought..... Walter

my new set up: I used it on my latest soundclick recording- texas boogie with some lousiana sauce. The song right after it, uses the stick.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:31 pm

:lol: Yeah I think I got a little excited! and layed into that snare!!hey Iam just gettin a feel for the drums!!HAHAHAHA! I woke everybody up however!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:46 pm

jeffl wrote:And you are probably one of those gifted ones, 601. It is fun to explore when playing music, yep. That's one of the reasons I love jammin' with my gang: you never know what the hell's gonna happen, and which direction the music'll take. One of our better guitarists is a straight cover guy; I call him "3:30", 'cuz that's how long his tunes last, lol! I love playin' with him, but he's impervious to improvisational opportunities; just when you think he's gonna let the tune roll with some jammin', he hollers out "incoming" and glides to a stop. It's just the way he's wired. He's been in cover bands since he was 13 yrs. old and he's 60 now. I will say that if you're havin' alotta fun with a gig, the audience will tolerate alot from you, and give you plenty of slack. It's very important to remember to smile and try to infect everybody with the "good time bug". I've been basically learning keyboard on the fly for over 40 years, but since harp's my main instrument, I don't stick with the boards long and hard enough to become "great". I've learned to hide my inadequacies and stick to what I do well on the boards. In a way, it's like herdin' goats...you're always goin' back to swat the slowest one.
NO jeff not really gifted at all compared to some, however I have been playing since I was 12 and Iam 57 now, anyway I found if I just set a practise I get off on Rabbit trails, and get focused on stuff that really don't help me in what Iam diong at the moment, Man There is so much out there to learn!!all the different styles and licks its mind bogglin!REALLY! So what I try and do is develope some guide lines, Such as a Song Iam writing at the moment, if I want a certain instrument or guitar lick, I will work at that issue,or if Iam going to try and preform it live how can I do that with the instruments Iam using?? So this helps me to to focus my time into learning things that I can use now! I have learned a few of HOT LICKS from BB,Howlin Wolf etc but never used em and ended up forgettin em, so what was the use of wastin that time in the first place?? Iam not saying everybody should do this, its just the way I approch it
601blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Recording