tips n tricks

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

tips n tricks

Postby fabulous furry freak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi, could anyone give me some tips n tricks, I'm sure that practice is the key, and a proper slide would probably help (I'm using random household items at the moment)

Theres no point in asking for help unless you can hear what I'm playing, so heres a rough recording
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=820966
It was recorded using audacity, with a cheap computer mic, a butane lighter for a slide, and my Westfield acoustic (been through 4 people before I bought it for £10 of a friend), so you might want to turn your speakers down before you start playing it.
bare in mind, that I haven't played in open D for a year or so, I've only been playing slide for a day or two, and that I had only been awake 30 mins before i recorded it.

I've been playing along to JJ Cale quite allot, and i think it shows through, especially in the last 12 bars, his music seems to suit slide very well IMO.
Last edited by fabulous furry freak on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Re: tips n tricks

Postby 5_iron » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi-
With only 2 days experience playing slide? Pretty damn good I'd say. One pointer is to vary your picking pattern a bit and to use vibrato with your slide, extending the slide note out a few beats and squeezing some more mileage out of it, letting it decay. Also try sliding down to your notes sometimes, versus sliding up to the chosen note each time. It adds variety. Muting sounds pretty good - I don't hear a lot of stray noises.

In Open D try the ole' Elmore James 12th fret slide lick - slide up the the 12th from about the 10th and hit the lick: NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA, boom da boom da boom da boom da, NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA, etc. etc. always a fun one.

Yep, and a glass or metal slide that fits over your finger will help you - although the old timers used whatever the heck they could and it worked for them.

Good luck and keep slidin'

5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby The 7th Son » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm

A deep well socket a la John Hammond...

I'm the one.

The 7th Son
The 7th Son
Regular

Postby fabulous furry freak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Just made a soundclick profile, and changed the link, theres some other recordings on there, so feel free to listen to them as well, they aren't strictly blues, but most of them are quite "bluesy"

Cheers 5_iron, I was expecting, a loada' criticism, tho' I suppose theres still time. Funny you should mention muting, I didn't mute at all, i guess it was the plastic lighter.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 am

The other thing of course is to ask who your slide influences are, we all have them and carry their echoes in our playing. You've made a good start on the infinite journey, it will be interesting to see how you develop.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fabulous furry freak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 am

good point maxx, though theres plenty of other threads asking that question, i just looked at those.
One thing I'm finding hard at the moment is that I'm so used to hammering on and off, I've seen videos of people doing it with a proper slide ... but not a lighter.

I once had this wierd gizmo that cut the necks of bottles (supposed to be used to make vazes n stuff), but I cant find it anywhere, and after searching the internet all I found was really expensive proffesional looking things. I'd prefere to buy something that lets me make loads of wierd and wonderfull slides, than spend the same amount of money on one. anybody else ever seen something like that before?
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Yeah, I was familiar with those things in the early '70s. They've doubtless gone to landfills or yard sale heaven by now.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 pm

I see FFF is in Zummerzet, whereabouts? And keep Swanage in October as an option, I'll happily show anyone who will stand still all my bad habits.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fabulous furry freak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm living near Taunton, in a smallish town called Wiveliscombe.

Do you mean the blues/roots festival? i googled "swanage october", and thats what I found, is that what you were referring too?
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Yup, 3 days of music, alcohol and almost all in easy staggering distance of the High St. There's a couple of places outside the town, but frankly, there's too much for one body to see in Swanage itself for me to bother going. Might take a train ride on the Friday though, just to jam along to that old 60 foot rail rhythm.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fabulous furry freak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:56 pm

sounds good, If I can persuade some of my buddies to come along, I'll be there. I tend to go to the kind of festivals where you camp out for the weekend, but this Swanage thing should be a good change of scene.

Any more tips/constructive criticism?
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby todd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:47 pm

fabulous furry freak wrote: and a proper slide would probably help (I'm using random household items at the moment)

Most of them are proper slides. Beer bottles are always fun. I had fun with a screw driver yesterday. My mother collects small colored bottles which she finds mysteriously disappear and re-appear at her house. I carry a pocket knife for one reason and one reason only, and it's never been sharpened. ANy thing with a relatively flat, relatively smooth, and relatively hard surface is a proper slide.

Though I do favor a Preachin Pipe.
todd
Regular

Postby fabulous furry freak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:57 pm

true, allot off things work, and i have found it interesting experimenting with all the different materials, shapes and weights my house has to offer. Tomorrow I'm going to the DIY shop to get either a triangular file or a tile cutter to make some slides out of old bottles, check this thread out for some more info: http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000604-2.html a fun way to recycle if i may say so

I also find it very interesting that different coloured glass has different sound qualities, I think I read about it somewhere on the diamond bottleneck page.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:20 pm

Slides can be obtained from all sorts of places. I managed to ruin my work place's central heating system. There was this boiler thing, just sitting looking as though it was waiting to be thrown out. It had a wonderful lump sticking out from one side with all sorts of piping coming off of it. So I availed my self of a hack saw and sawed it off, using the piping to make slides with. The plumbers turned up a week or so later and said they'd have to get a new boiler as the grunge futtocking valve system (or something) had gone mssing. Oops. Dunno what it cost, but I now keep very quiet at work about playing slide guitar.

The best tip and trick is Listen, listen, listen. Listen as much as you can to whoever you like who plays slide. Listening is practising. But listen deeply, not just music going in the background, but listening and analysing. Active listening. Having good equipment is nice, but unless you have a deep understanding of the music it's always going to be beginners equipment.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby diamond » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 am

Ow doo muy luvver :lol: ....yeah - i know, a feeble attempt at mimicking the Zummerzet dialect - although both meself and Maxx England can do a crackin' Brummie brogue!!! :wink:

The implement you mentioned earlier was called, quite simply, a "Bottle Chopper".....it's what started me off chopping the necks off bottles back in 1975 (...it's 'developed' since those early days... :) ), and you can still find 'em in those large 'Hobbycraft' stores usually linked onto large garden centres. They're still one of the BEST pieces of gear available to separate neck from bottle if you don't have access to pro equipment, or a full Dremel tool set.

Hope you have fun making those slides - and good luck :wink: !

Happy Slidin'...

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com 8)
diamond
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar