recordings with a 1963 harmony amp

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

recordings with a 1963 harmony amp

Postby watertore » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi all: My friend restored a 1963 harmony amp-model H400A. It is 3 watts and sounds old time. I recorded these songs with it tonight with my 63 jazzmaster. A cool fit IMO. Walter

The songs are :

tell you all I know

back when the blues were still alive

cured with the boogie
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: recordings with a 1963 harmony amp

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:18 pm

VERY VERY NICE!! walter!!! I enjoyed that!! I gotta start woking on the drum thing!! how do you have the snare rigged ??To a foot peddle?
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks 601blues! I have the bass drum and snare connected with a double bass drum pedal. I have modified it to have a beater on each pedal. I use my left foot on the bass pedal and when it hits the bass drum, it also hits the snare. My right foot is on the high hat. Recently, I have started playing the keyboard with the drums and harp and I rigged the snare beater to use a real drumstick on one side and a real brush on the other. Listen to a song with my keyboard like drunken barroom at 2am or shiner bock. They use the brush. I will post a picture of the set up if like later. I can't do pictures on this computer. have the snare in a snare stand, and bend it perpendicular to the ground. Let me know if I can be of any help. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks!! so much Walter, Ive always admired your music!!! I have all the stuff you mentioned, Iam gonna start foolin with it!! The key board thang has me scratchin my head!!
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:31 pm

thanks again! Just start setting stuff up and let it unfold. I started the 1 man band thing back in the early 70's. I was playing with wilbert harrrison (kansas city, lets work together (1man band song) and he was a 1 man band. I got real excited and bought a bass drum and high hat. I did that for a few months and then lost the drum stuff via my many moves over many states/countries. About 3 years ago, I started feeling the urge to try it again. Again, I started with a bass drum I pulled out of my friends dumpster, and the cheapest high hat I could buy. Then I saw a guy in a music store doing drum rolls with that double pedal. I bought one and hooked the snare up. I tried to get some differential between the bass and snare, but to no avail. Anyway, it continues to evolve. I never have played keyboard live or with others, but have alway played on them when I was around one. I figured out the basics via this and bought the keyboard in Feb. I am now taking it out on gigs and usually do 2-4 songs a night with it. I always have learned my instruments onstage. My first band I was in had me blowing harp and singing after only a few weeks of picking up a harp,and the first time I played guitar with a band was on my first record. The begining of the learning curve is often the most exciting. New things rush in regularly. Then as you begin to master it all, it trickles in every once in awhile. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Yup!! Ive been working sax, and Key boards as well, I really like keyboards,but as you I never play em live, But I saw a guy once that played the guitar and had the key board set up with midi control so when he hit the 1st note on guitar the key board would kick in, with the part he had programed that was purdy cool,
But Iam excited now Iam gonna set up my bass and snare tomorrow when I get home!!My foots always bouncin might as well harness dat energy!! an connect it to a noise maker!!!!Love your harp as well, I have used my harp for cordin mostly I need to tightin up on the single notes like you, Man you gave me another ladder ta climb fo sho!!
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Cool! At some point in time I would like to have a 1 man band tour with a few different 1 man bands playing festivals. Maybe you can join for it.. Walter

here is my current studio set up. I still use that dumpster bass drum here. My real drummer, katherine, gave her fathers 1960's ludwig set. I use the high hat cymbals and snare in the studio and live, and the ludwig bass drum live. All my hardware is el cheapo ebay stuff. I don't hit hard and it lasts fine. Plus it is lighter than the bullet proof stuff. That midi stuff is out of my interest. I am raised before all that stuff. I like to see what I hear. Good luck and keep me posted!
my new snare set up

live set up, with my old snare set up. I moved it to the snare stand a few weeks ago
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:49 am

I gotcha!! I see the 10lb weight at the snare kicker, my first thought was to connect both peddles to a common base ,I have several unused stainless kick plates , ?????? I will try and keep ya posted, And I see how you keep the center area clear by useing material rollers on the key boards!! Iam gonna work on it!!! Thanks fo da pics!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Man!!Iam havin to much fun!! Ive got mine all set up!! I can't believe Ive never done this!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:52 pm

:lol: Walter This is just TOO cool!! Man thanks a Million for your inspiration!!! Iam just freaked out right now of how much this has opened for me!!! I can't stop playin, I just finished 2hrs on my national Reso Elect, play my own drums!!I finially found a drummer that can hang with me!! wahoo!!! here is the way I have it set up right now!! it looks like Iam beatin on pillows but that a real clear head there!!HAHAHA!
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:46 pm

601blues wrote::lol: Walter This is just TOO cool!! Man thanks a Million for your inspiration!!! Iam just freaked out right now of how much this has opened for me!!! I can't stop playin, I just finished 2hrs on my national Reso Elect, play my own drums!!I finially found a drummer that can hang with me!! wahoo!!! here is the way I have it set up right now!! it looks like Iam beatin on pillows but that a real clear head there!!HAHAHA!

I am glad you found your way home! Now there will be no more band headaches except what goes on your own head :D The only real downside to this 1 man band thing is all the gear you got to carry to gigs- drums/hardware, amp, guitars, harps, PA, keyboard, harps, cables. I guess it will keep you in shape! I have seen guys with multi pedals like you have there. I never tried it. I am sort of in a habbit with my 2 pedal deal. Post some some clips! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:11 am

Gezz Walt Give me a sec Iam usin what i got!!Hahahaahahah! but its cool!
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:25 am

601blues wrote:Gezz Walt Give me a sec Iam usin what i got!!Hahahaahahah! but its cool!

YOu are doing it right Just dig up what is at hand and let it go from there. Tear it up! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:34 am

Walter, Do you use a 10 hole Diatonic Harp?? have you ever tried a Chromatic??On some of your recordings it sounds like a LOW A harp,
601blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm

I play hohner marine bands. I have tried most others, but I guess I played the MB for so long, it is in my blood. I like wood combs. I got a hohner endorsee contract back in the mid 80's, and they give a slight discount on harps. If I was rich I would probably play the hering vintage 1923. The problem with them is they go flat too quick. I have played chromatic in the past, but it never really held my interest and gave them away. I play a 14 hole marine band in C, low F, Low D, Low Eb. These give a real deep pitch. If you use your tounge on the comb, you can get a accordian/sort of chromatic sound. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Recording