Burnin' that strat

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: Burnin' that strat

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm

I find it funny that some people are opposed to the destruction of this "cheap" guitar. It's a thing, it doesn't breath, cry or feel pain. Pete Townsend was cool smashing that gear and Jimi Hendrix was cool buring that strat. I like the way we all like different things. That's what makes America. This guitar is going to be destroyed and I would venture to say it will end up in the large bon fire these bikers keep burnin' all night. This is a biker party up in the mountains. I can't gaurantee video, I don't have a camera, sorry. I can't even put pictures on this site but I sure my drummer can. I'm sure he'll put some on myspace under skinnybobblues. That's the bands web site. A biker couple who filmed us last year has a camera, they'll be there and also at our gig tomorrow night, I'll ask them to film and let the drummer do his thing. I know he put the footage of the TV show where we played Red House on the that site. I'm a simple man who can only play one string at a time.
Love people and use things, don't love things and use people.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:38 pm

When I was younger and broke all the time, I was always saving money to buy gear and putting guitars on layaway.

The idea of destroying guitars as part of the show bugged me, back then. Of course, so did a lot of things.

Now that I have some nice gear, it doesn't bug me. It's like I get it. Or at least close enough.
Last edited by allanlummox on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Hey bigdaddy, do what you want and what they want. I'm just saying that I don't like to see that kind of destruction, and I don't think Pete Townshend or Jimi were cool doing it. They were tools. Wonder how the bikers would go for smashing and burning a Harley?
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm not sure how I would feel about burning an American made strat to be honest. I'm sure I would cringe but I would enjoy the show. This is a cheap guitar, guys. About the Harley thing, if done right I think bikers would love to see a Harley destroyed, they would never forget it. Just make sure it's not theirs you are destroying. Now destroying a Honda or a Yamaha they would just think "so what, those are supposed to be destroyed." Kind of my view point about these cheap strats.
It's all about the show guys. To counter this the band gave away a Squier strat about 8 months ago. We had a drawing for it one night when we were celebrating Skinny's birthday. The music scene is so boring in my town, I just want to be part of some thing people will remember. They may not remember our band name or my name but they will remember the June Jam when that band smashed the guitar and that June Jam when that band lit one on fire. It's about the show.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:31 am

I gave a squire Strat to a kid at my girlfriend's church last Christmas. The kid was playing a Wal-mart special at a fund raiser we were playing at, so I bought him the Squire. Now I feel like a cheap a$$ and wished I would have spent an extra hundred and bought him an Epi. Not your fault Bigdaddy, I am just weird about giving gifts. In fact, I am just weird. As far as the squire goes, I hope it burns to ashes, it will make a great show. I always wanted to rig an amplifier to explode. 8)
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:28 pm

An amp to explode? Now you got me thinkin'.
The strat to burn came today and it's beautiful, it really is. Gotta get all set up for the burn now. Giving a Squier strat to a kid is a good thing. I know the kid loves it. Spending money on kids is iffy, they may take to it or they may not. Can't spend big bucks just to have it ignored. Years ago my son's christian rock band was playing in a battle of the bands. Some one laid an American Strat in the tall grass. The guitar was beautiful and I almost stepped on it a few times. My son broke a string and for some bloody reason we had a extra strings but not the G I needed. I grabbed that strat and my son went on to win the gig with that strat. Either some parent paid to much for a guitar for their son or this kid had his dad's strat and his dad didn't know. It was beautiful.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:01 pm

There's plenty of guitars around; burnin' one won't hurt anybody. And as far as that Squier Strat...some of those things play great. My kids got a great playin' one...'course I get it set up about once a year just for maintenance.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:52 am

The Kid I bought the strat for is playing the guts out of it, his Mom keeps us informed. He still plays his el-cheapo acoustic so next Christmas I may invest in a better acoustic for him, he is really good. Dale let him play her Martin, he was in guitar heaven. As far as exploding amps , I think it could be done safely, not a huge explosion, just a big cloud of smoke and sparks coming out of the front with a loud bang. A small flash bang grenade would work, a very small one. A person could use a dummy cab that looks real. During a killer solo, boom boom, out goes the lights.
mike932
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:15 pm

I read David Lee Roth's book awhile ago... he said in VH's early days what they'd do is take like a tuna fish can, then buy some gun powder and fill it up. You put a little charge in there, boom, nice little smoke bomb effect for the stage.

Can't say I've ever done it. And it sounds maybe a little bit dangerous. But why not, right?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:33 pm

My friend Mark Meadows, who has played bass for many big name folks, did some recording and some shows with Dweezil Zappa. He told me the guitar Jimi burned is hanging on a wall in the Zappa house. Frank was evidently at the show and when Jimi left the stage he simply asked if he could have the burned and beaten strat. The stage manager just gave it to him.

Mark said the walls in that house are covered with iconic items from the history of rock and roll. Frank Zappa was evidently the only one at many of the events who wasn't stoned and he just gathered up the relics as they were being tossed aside.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:12 pm

I had a dude tell me that he used to take light sockets and wire them in series, four or six in a row and then take new light bulbs, break the glass and screw them into these sockets. He then filled the light bulb end, the metal part, with gun powder and hook all of that up to a switch on the floor. During their big bang he would trip the switch with his foot and flash, flash, flash, ect, would go the sockets and bulb bottoms. I have never tried this but I think I might try it to see if it works. Could be a big flash just before we extinguish the guitar if this contraption is legit.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:58 am

Yeah, that works. Either leave the filament of the bulb intact for ignition (It burns up with a quick blue flash), or a VERY thin strip of aluminum foil can be attached between the electrodes for ignition. I've seen that done in the theater.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:30 am

To blow up the amp, use model rocket igniters buried in fireworks powder placed in soup cans. All you will need is a 12 volt battery and wires, or rig up a safety switch with toggle switches. Make a fake speaker cab with a hole in the top which will allow the top of the can of choice to fit flush with the top of the speaker cab. All of the sparks and smoke will fly out of the top making a cool effect. The more cans of powder the better.
mike932
Regular

Postby david » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 pm

This all does sound like great fun. Just don't forget the experience of Great White!

I'd say an outdoor gig would be the place to try it out--and an outdoor gig with a large enough stage for you to keep a respectful distance.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Yes, you CAN use too much powder. A little goes a long way. And the Great White reminder is right on.
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs