Question for all the dawghouse owners

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Question for all the dawghouse owners

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Yep, watching the bands at Swanage did nothing to put me off learning more about playing a doghouse. Just looked up online advice and resource, noticed most of the standard learning methods are either classical/jazz or bluegrass/rockabilly (which seems to be kinda similar apart from the slapping).

Just wondered if youse blues bassmen investigated some classical chops or if you just went straight to learning to boogie?

cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Re: Question for all the dawghouse owners

Postby oleman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:08 am

I went from playing a slab bass to an acoustic/electric fretless to a doghouse. Always just playing the blues and rockabilly.
The real challenge for me was physical rather than musical. An upright is just big and hard to play but as your left hand gets stronger and used to the wide spacing of notes, you can move around pretty well. My bass lines with the upright have become more sparse, melodic and to my ear, more musical.

I really love the upright, its sound, and just the overall vibe of having somewhat control of such and unwieldy instrument and well worth the effort. I've been playing upright almost exclusively and almost never play bass guitar unless the venue is very cramped.

My advice to people wanting to play an upright is don't buy a cheap Chinese bass like I did. They self destruct over time.
Buy something around at least 1k and have it set up professionally.
oleman
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom