Swanage Superstars

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Swanage Superstars

Postby maxx england » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:50 am

Got into Swanage on Fri, went to the Red Lion open mic with Clive, we got 3 songs in that got a reasonable response from the audience. The outdoor stage/patio wasn't set up (probably to do with storm warnings), so everyone was squeezed into a small room like a sardine canners' outing.

Afterwards, we walked back to the Purbeck with the gear and tripped over Jakey in the street, it was easy for us to recognise each other, my jacket's bright red, he's bright tall. We went off to sort out food etc, met up again in the Purbeck later where we sat down with a pair of acoustic guitars and played bits of stuff in a corner. Then I got changed, we hung around for John Crampton (Jakey is now stunned, how do you move so much sitting still? And Marko only got one unblurred photograph. Sod nuclear power, just plug into Crampton). Went out after he'd finished and took in various bands at various pubs.

Saturday, all met up in the Red Lion on the afternoon, we did 3 numbers again, but with the very important addition of Die Harpmeister von Vimto, went down even better than Friday. Enjoyed the many and various performers, split up when it was over, me & Marko went to the curry house, grabbed Clive after and set off into the dark to join Jakey at the Crow's Nest for Ernie's Rhythm Section. Got a taxi as the weather was getting horrible. Clive & Marko were unsure about going as the 1/2 mile was such a long way from all the other pubs, but when we got there, they were suddenly very smiley :D boys, as was Jakey, the band are really worth making the trip to see if they're anywhere near you.

Sunday, went back for the final open mic, saw Jakey walking past the pub window and not come in. Me & clive did 2 numbers each as individuals, I went down well I think, I know they liked clive. Jakey eventually turned up, he'd been maintaining the old tradition of meeting a bunch of people, drinking vast quantities of amnesiogenic liquid and waking up in an unknown house. We wanted to stop around to see him "do his thang" but we had to leg it as the weather forecast said it was going to get very horrible very quickly, and that's a shame.

And th-th-th-that's all folks.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Swanage Superstars

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Ah, you missed out on the end of the Sunday open mic, that was a laugh. I even ended up playing along with that demented woman who kept banging her bloody tambourine at odd rhythms during ernies rhythm section on saturday. Apparantly me asking her to shut up upset her. You know, because turning up to a gig and playing along as loudly as you can is just a bit of fun, isnt it? :wha:

Anyway, I politely pointed out the role of tact and courtesy involved with playing a musical instrument (or ,indeed, a bloody tambourine) and went back to the open mic. It was a genuinely great afternoon once I sobered up a bit. Everyone could play, nobody hogged the stage or the solos, and many people persistently referred to me as 'that young harmonica player' and you know I like that. Then the women started asking for my phone number so they could introduce me to their daughters! :shock: really.

Also, Simmo, Hoops and Baz were a legendary group of boys to meet on the Saturday and responsible for my genuine blues-guy appearance on Sunday. Because I had been drinking raw uncut liquor at 6am that morning. Nice work.

I enjoyed standing in with you and Clive though Maxx, anytime you brave the frozen North, give me some notice, I'll find somewhere to have a jam and a pint. Bring your own guitar though, because you probably wouldnt feel the strings on mine, being only 10's, you weirdo... :P
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:40 pm

10s? 10s? Blow on them and they'll play. You need MAN'S STRINGS, not girly little 10s :mrgreen:

Any chance you can get the mothers' numbers off the daughters for Clive for next time?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 pm

And how do you think I'm going to get the Clang out of that Strat on little threads like cotton?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Youre still overcompensating about the bread thing, aren't you?

:twisted:
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:52 pm

The only thing I know that will compensate for Scottish bread is depleted uranium. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs