Burnin' that strat

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Burnin' that strat

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:47 pm

Skinny Bob is playin' the biker June Jam again this year. We're gettin' the last spot Saturday night, yahoo. That's the best slot, everyone is there and have been drinkin'. We are going to burn a Squire Strat, that brown sunburst model sellin" for $149.00, I have it comin' already. Need some info or burnin' that sucker. We will do it ala Jimi Hendrix after some Jimi jams but is there any thing I need to be aware of? What can and has gone bad in any body's experience? I'm thinkin' a fire proof blanket and lighter fluid with some one standing just off the stage with an extinguisher. I don't want the guitar to burn but for a minute or so, the smoke will be black because of the plastic parts so a long burn ain't gonna happen. Last year we smashed a giutar and the people loved it. Skinny is talkin' knockin' the crap out of this guitar and then light it up. All experience of knowledge about this will be greatly noted and thought about deeply. Clue me in guys.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: Burnin' that strat

Postby Reverend Mojo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:48 am

Do not attempt to burn the guitar while still strapped to your or anyone else's body.

But seriously, it sounds like a good plan. The only thing you forgot the part about making sure you get video of it.
Reverend Mojo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

The important thing here is that the fuel does not have long enough to vapourise; we call the subsequent combustion process an explosion. It also needs to have a highly visible flame (suggestion: drop the stage lights a bit, more contrast), so alcohol type fuels are out as they don't show up. Pity, extinguishing methanol is easily done with water, even at the risk of electrocuting the whole band.

Personally, I'd do some careful dummy runs in a safe open space first, before going for it on stage, that way you don't get any surprises.

A $149 Squier? Surely you can find something cheaper? Are you robbing the strings and any hardware :mrgreen: , the audience won't know unless you try to play it first?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Why wait until you're onstage to burn a Strat? 8)
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Why burn a new one? Why not one of those old ugly '50s or '60s ones, like that nasty old worn out thing Stevie Ray Vaughan used to play?
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Skinny is strictly a strat man, gots to have the wammy bar. I use the Squiers and I take some solvent remover and wipe off Squier and put on these stickers I had made that are black on clear that says Skinny Bob Blues. The guitars are usally taken by some one after we kick it off the stage. I smooth down the fretts on these guitars, change strings, adjust the action before they get destroyed. Good idea about the practice runs before we try it on stage. Not letting it vapor to long is also good and getting a fuel that flames is good. Any more suggestions? I am grateful for these ideas becasue they will help me not hurt some one.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I smooth down the fretts on these guitars, change strings, adjust the action before they get destroyed.

Yeah, I can see where you would want to make sure it is set up properly before you smash or burn it.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 pm

I know it sounds dumb to set it up and then destroy it but the guitar has to be playable for at least one song. If you've played a Squier strat then you know the fret edges are sharpe enough to slice up the hands, they can be bad. I also enjoy working on these guitars. Skinny is picky about his guitars, how they play ect. He will want the guitar with him for a week or so before the show so he can learn it's characteristic and sound and adjust what he thinks I haven't. I'm excited for the show. Some one said I should throw a handful of black powder at it while it's burning. Any comments on this? It will make a big flash and then I'll have the extinguisher person put it out, maybe a minute maybe 90 seconds of burn. I am going to practice this in my back yard a time or two before I try it on stage. I'm thinking thropwing the black powder at it after Skinny gets up and heads for his amp to unplug the guitar and plug his strat back in.
Last years lesson taught me to not use a laminated guitar. We smashed, stomped, kicked and threw that Peavey strat copy and it got tore up real bad but it would not break or splinter into pieces. They are tough as tanks. Also, don't use a wireless, they break easy. This year is an alder body and we're taping that cord in so we'll get alot of pain out of that speaker while the guitar is dying.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:07 am

Frankly I don't want to see any guitar destroyed like that. I've never liked the "pay a buck to hit a Jap car with a sledgehammer" promotions or "Huffy toss" at bicycle events. There's always somebody out there who'd love to have the "POS" that's being smashed up. But there's obviously a sizable audience segment that appreciates it.

I think Pete Townshend's a great guitarist. A real legend. But he looks like a dumbass when he smashes a guitar. So does everyone else who does it. So did Jimi when he torched the Strat. But that's just me. I don't like "relics," either.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Reverend Mojo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 am

ricochet wrote:Frankly I don't want to see any guitar destroyed like that. I've never liked the "pay a buck to hit a Jap car with a sledgehammer" promotions or "Huffy toss" at bicycle events. There's always somebody out there who'd love to have the "POS" that's being smashed up. But there's obviously a sizable audience segment that appreciates it.

I think Pete Townshend's a great guitarist. A real legend. But he looks like a dumbass when he smashes a guitar. So does everyone else who does it. So did Jimi when he torched the Strat. But that's just me. I don't like "relics," either.

Maybe it'd ease Ric's soul if you auctioned it afterwards for charity...the sooner the better though. Preferably on the spot, while the whole drunk bunch still thinks its cool, and before they sober up enough to realize they're buying a charred hunk of junk.
Reverend Mojo
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:12 am

If you do this, we want videos! :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Are you planning to just scorch it or snap the neck off? I'm with Rico on annihilation, but a "custom finish" appeals.

Flash - brightest thing I ever found was the school chemistry lab and magnesium powder in a bunsen flame. But you have to make sure everyone that matters in this is facing away or has their eyes shut, it's BRIGHT :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I once mixed a half pound or so of powdered magnesium with a pound of Bullseye pistol powder in a brown paper bag. Called the whole drunken crew at my fraternity house outside, said "I have something I want y'all to see," lined them all up along the porch rail, set the bag on the concrete driveway about 10 feet away and lit the top of it. When it burned down to the powder, with a great WHOOSH! lasting maybe 1/2 second or so it put out the brightest light I've ever seen. The overcast sky lit up like midday. The column of white fire burned an afterimage in my retinas I thought just might be permanent. A big white mushroom cloud slowly drifted away in the languid evening breeze. There was a moment of stunned silence, then everyone started loudly and obscenely exclaiming, staggering around with their hands over their eyes. I got them all safely herded back inside without anyone falling down the steps. A campus cop came slowly driving around shining his spotlight, but there was nothing to be seen. It left a light smudge on the concrete, no ashes or anything. I finally did get my central vision back, but it took a while. As far as I know, everyone else did, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Told yer :mrgreen:

Maybe you can do that without hurting the Squier too much? No, OK, it's your gig.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 pm

I don't know who they think they are, smashing a perfectly good....guitar

John Hiatt
NEONMOONY
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs