Bass cabs

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Bass cabs

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:06 am

I'm thinking of having a friend build me a bass cab with a 4 ohm speaker in it. My desire is to have it smaller in size and have the cab with a slight speaker tilt built into it. Smaller size is for transport ease and the tilt in the speaker is to hit people about chest high instead of knee high. Has any one built a cab? Any opinions, words of warning? My friend is very good with wood working. Is this something I should persue or let go of now? Your knowledge and experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated. My idea is from a Trace Elliot advertisement for their combos. They have a 15" combo that is small in size. I am currently using a Peavey Basic 60 that the amp burned out on so I took the amp out and threw it away and I use the thing as a speaker cab now. I did mount a speaker jack into the back of it. I have a 4 ohm Blue Marvel in it, a 4 ohm Shefield came out of it. It works and sounds fine and would be perfect if the 5 or 6 inches that housed the amp was gone. Again, your experience and knowledge would be of value.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: Bass cabs

Postby mike932 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 am

Just out of curiosity, why a big speaker and not 4x10 or 2x10 etc.? I like the way a 4x10 punches through the mix and retains solid lows. If I were a rich man (no pun intended on the song) I would use a 4x10 for small to medium gigs and a 4x10 over a 1x15 for outdoors and bigger rooms. I have heard a lot of 1x15s , they sound great on the low end, but sometimes they lack the punch to get over a heavy handed drummer and a couple of screaming guitars and or keyboard.
The best sounding rig I have heard was a 4x10 being driven by a custom made tube amp. I was envious. I like the idea of building a cab, been wanting to do it myself. If you have had better luck with a 1x15 please let me know. I am not trying to sound critical, I am just curious.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:50 pm

I've always played a 15 inch speaker. After reading your post you have me curious. I carry my bass gear, pa and right now the guitar players amp, boxes and guitars all in the back of a 2006 P/T cruiser. The back seats are in my front room closet and the back of the Cruiser is full, top to bottom. I use my 15 inch now because it's a 4 ohm speaker and space in the Cruiser is critical. You got me thinking maybe two cabinets of 2 10's with each cab at 8 ohms may work. I'm certainly going to give an ear to this idea. Thanks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 pm

You are welcome. Now you have me thinking. The two ten by two ten idea is pretty good. I am a wimp now and have trouble moving amps around. If I was to make the 2x10 2x10 cabs and have a separate head (preferably tube) I could haul my stuff allot easier. also for practice I could use just one cab. I was browsing through the ad for amps posted in the equipment forum, I really like the looks of their stuff. I would like someone to build me a tube head that would match the 2x10s. A custom looking rig. All I would need would be around 50 to 100 watts. Do you have ideas on the subject?
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:31 am

I've thought it over and tomorrow I'm going to Salt Lake City where I found a Fender Bassman 250 at a music store down there. It has the one 15 inch. I need a combo I can rely on with enough punch to play the bars and clubs we're getting in to. I'm playing thru a G&K Backline 600 with a one 4 ohm 15 speaker. It's loud enough and every thing but I just don't care much for the tone the G&K puts out. Even with no effects on the thing it still has a "bark." I have a Bassman 150 which I'll be playing thru at a bar in 2 hours from now. I dig the smooth tones from it and that compressor is a finger saver. I'm going to advertise my G&K rig free to a teenager in a rock band. If the person meets my criteria which is nothing more than to poor to afford a decent amp and under 18 then they can have it. It's tone would fit modern stuff my not an old school fool like me. I know what I like and I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. I may use at the bar tomorrow night, depends how the 150 does tonight. This bar doesn't like the bands real loud so the 150 fits in pretty good until Skinny starts inching up the volume on that amp of his.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby godinguy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:15 am

Hi bigdaddy.
Some time ago I also thought about building my own bass cab, and I found this site http://www.billsbest.com/thbasscab.html
Has some great info that may be of help.
The WinISD program, mentioned on this site, helps sort out your cab sizes/dimensions, etc.
godinguy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 pm

godinguy, thank's for the site. Very interesting. I did get the Bassman 250 and played it at our gig that nght and what a difference. That amp was so clear, clean and deep. It has plenty of punch for the bars we play. I only had the thing turned up to 3 on both volumes and it cut right through the mix. I turn up the amp over the first two songs until I sound equal with the drum set, not louder or quieter. The bass drum is miked with a little on it and the guitar runs thru the pa. All in all it's a good mix for the audience. I dig this Bassman 250. Ain't that heavy either and the casters make rolling a breeze. My Bassman 150 will be my practice amp. Kind of an expensive practice amp tho.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:39 am

Hey bigdaddy,
are you still interested in building bass cabs? I have a new collection of bass speakers obtained in a trade, They are mostly original fenders out of a bassman 10 (which I now own). If interested perhaps we can do some horse trading.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:37 pm

I went and bought a Fender combo. I still think about building the cabs but I doubt I ever will. Thanks for thinking 'bout me tho.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:52 am

No problem. These are all 10" , and they will probably sit on the shelf for a long time. Perhaps my great grand kids will wind up on the antique road show with them. They are probably 30 years old now. I have an old ampro speaker which was made in the 40's, I think, maybe older.
mike932
Regular

Postby leftieray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:14 am

As a bass player trying to get the big fat sound of a double bass, i've found using a 15 or 18 inch speaker with flat wound strings gives me a close as i can get sound. i just don't want to carry a double bass around and this set up does it for me
leftieray
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom