trying new mic placements

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

trying new mic placements

Postby watertore » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 am

Hi All: I have been looking for an old dearmond soundhole pickup for my old kalamzoo. A guy up in canada is selling me one. He is a sound engineer that records nature sounds. He also records himself on acoustic guitar with just 1 mic. He uses a cheap mic right into the computer and gets a great sound! He goes for mic placement. He taught me alot about mic placement and recording the room, not the sound of the instrument. I have heard all this before, but this time it clicked. Plus I spent all afternoon listening to jimmy reed records. I love that sound they recorded him with. Tonight I got on the mics and set them up well off everything and got more of a room sound. I spent time with each mic, moving it around until it sounded good to my ears. I backed up the vocal mic to about 9" instead of 3-4" from my mouth. I am just on the first step of this venture and here are the results.

Hey Jimmy Reed
bad acid woman

the rest are with my old close mic method
broken car
police on my tail
my sister
I guess it is my time
how long will you love m
you used up your 3 wishes
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: trying new mic placements

Postby blueswrench » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:44 am

I think your on to something Walter! Sounding great!! This new batch of songs are awesome as usual, and it's hard to go wrong with Jimmy Reed 8)
blueswrench
Regular

Re: trying new mic placements

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:13 am

I like your ambient sound, Walter!
ricochet
Regular

Return to Recording