How to get the overdriven harp sound

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: How to get the overdriven harp sound

Postby Jaybird803 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Amen!
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby slash102 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 pm

I am aware the my sound is the most important factor, and am constantly learning and working on my cupping and blues techniques. aside from that, is this that mic that is similar to the sm58, if so I could save $50. the source is canada's radio shack. http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Produ ... ct=3303018
slash102
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 am

Nope, wrong mic. The one I bought was under $10.00. It's a real POS, but it works. If I break it , oh well. Model # 33-3038 radio Shack.
mike932
Regular

Postby mukluk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Here's a link to some clips I put up a couple years ago. The one called "SM57" shows how the mic sounds(at low volume) thru a tube amp. Other mics are good as well, I like this one for it's versatility( vocals and mic'ing your amp as well)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mukluk
mukluk
Regular

Postby slash102 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 am

thanks for the replies guys, turns out I know a guy who can get me an sm58 for free sometime next week. I'll work with that with and without the pop filter, that is removable right? Anyways that should do fine for now
slash102
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 am

Barbecue Bob is the man with the plan. The last gig I played at the rhythm guitar players amp went on the blink, so I decided to let him use my Epi Jr, miked, and decided to plug my mic into the board via snake. I was hooking up a distortion pedal when Brian said "man you don't need the pedal. My response was, but I do not have my tube amp, to which he replied, you have the chops, you don't one. I used a pedal in the past only when I played through solid state, but I obviously didn't need one. And to answer the question, yes my head was so big after the compliment I had to go out and buy a new hat. I am going to buy a new tube amp , the Epi is fine for practice, but I want a little more oomph for gigs. I have a Bassman 10, but it is way too heavy to lug around. Any suggestions? Ricco and I have discussed the Pignose tube amp , which I am going to check out. I really like the Peavey Delta Blues . I have a couple of weeks before the next gig to decide.
mike932
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Just see James Cotton live if you want to hear someone get "that sound" without a tube amp.

I mainly use a modified Bassman reissue. Since I had wheels put on it, it's pretty easy to lug around.

Mike, A couple of days ago a friend who's a vintage amp collector told me about an Airline amp on Ebay that's going for something like $325. Apparently they're great harp amps, slightly larger than a Champ. You may want to look into one of those.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:48 pm

It can be hard to find "the perfect" harp amp in a coupla weeks, but you might get lucky, depending on whether you go new or "vintage". If you have any really good guitar stores around that take trades, you may have to ask them if they have any good old tube amps. Alotta those places won't even put their vintage tube stuff out 'cuz they know they can sell 'em to any one of a number of their best customers, or even sell 'em to customers they've landed through their websites over the years. Alotta that stuff goes right to Australia from the U.S.; One of my favorites is the old Ampeg stuff from the 60's (ReverbRockets), but the old Gretsch 6125s,6150s, etc. are great too. Any of those old amps with "Accordian" jacks work well, played through the Accordian jack. I'd want something with at least 15 watts, but having said that, my "loud" gigging amp is a Peavey Classic 30, and I wouldn't say it's the perfect harp amp by any stretch. I jus' like it 'cuz it cuts like a knife and has plenty of headroom. I also tend to like amps with onboard reverb, in case I don't feel like hookin' up my delay pedal or I have equipment problems.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Great Ideas guys, I am headed out the door , time to start looking around. I have money burning a hole in mt pocket.
mike932
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Any of those old amps with "Accordian" jacks work well, played through the Accordian jack

My Premiere has an input for accordion (the one I usually use) and one for "guitar/bass fiddle."
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:42 am

Day one of the search, I had too much fun. I liked the new Fender blues jr NOS. I played on Peaveys, Fenders , a Marshal (just for kicks) Palamino (not bad for the price) Crate (not real impressed) Vox . Tomorrow the Pawn shops and the repair shops. My favorite was the Marshal, but way too expensive. There is a Carvin listed locally for sale, I have a portable Carvin PA which is well made and sounds great, so maybe their tube amps are quality. I am having more fun than a Redneck on Government cheese day.
mike932
Regular

Postby too2tall » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 am

Man, I agree with whoever said its how you blow it that counts. I have heard phenomenal harpist through a staight PA. Most of the honking is coming from the player. To many people get caught up in equipment and not in the know how. You want that sound then put in the practice time. Listen to the greats. Talk with other harp players. I was sitting in a bar in Austin TX. and James Cotton came in and played with no mic and blew the doors off the place at 70 years of age. Can't talk with his vocal chords anymore but he can still make that harp talk.
Personally I use a Shure 545SD (same as Paul B. used) set to High Impedence with my classic 50 or I use a tube pre-amp through an old Japanese Olsen Mic run into the PA for a little cleaner tone but I'm telling you its the player for 90% of the sound!!!
too2tall
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:04 am

I like to watch the program on the Discovery Channel, Survivor Man. The dude on the show plays a mean harp, no gadgets, just his harp. He has also taken a harp apart to use it for surviving. I just bought a Palimino V16. Good price , scratch and dent pile. I really like it, 15 watts of overdrive. I was messing around with a shure 57, I get a cleaner sound than my green bullet, so I bought one. I am all geared up now, bring on the gigs.
mike932
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 pm

That dude does sound good with his harp. I've seen him blow it in his tent to run off prowling predators outside, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:17 am

I use mine to get my girlfriends dog away from the TV. He howls and heads for the other room.
mike932
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp