Piano 1 man band

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Piano 1 man band

Postby watertore » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:23 am

Hi all: I did these tonight with the casio priva electric piano. The lower keys were set to acoustic bass, and the upper keys to a grand piano. I had a brush on my bass drum pedal, harp, high hat, and bass drum going all at once. Walter

That old man told the truth
bouncing down the highway
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Piano 1 man band

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm gonna start callin' you "The Backwards Man" Walter,lol! Most guys who do what you do are primarily guitarists or piano players who play a passable harp...you're the opposite...a harp player who plays passable guitar or piano,ha! Keep practicin', although I like your guitar stuff better. You definitely got the right idea though, not tryin' to jus' go it with harp alone...that can get old after a while. (Why the hell do you think I keep my piano skills halfway honed,lol..?)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Piano 1 man band

Postby watertore » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:38 pm

jeffl wrote:I'm gonna start callin' you "The Backwards Man" Walter,lol! Most guys who do what you do are primarily guitarists or piano players who play a passable harp...you're the opposite...a harp player who plays passable guitar or piano,ha! Keep practicin', although I like your guitar stuff better. You definitely got the right idea though, not tryin' to jus' go it with harp alone...that can get old after a while. (Why the hell do you think I keep my piano skills halfway honed,lol..?)

thanks! My brain also works backwards :D I do whatever is inspiring me the most. Right now it is the piano/bass on the lower keys, with this new snare/brush set up. For me, the beginning of learning new instruments, set ups, are the most exciting. I could just blow harp and sing with a real slick band behind me, write and repeat songs, and maybe get "somewhere" in the music world. But that sounds as boring as sitting in a jail cell for 10 years with no instruments allowed. To be boxed in like that just doesn't compare to be hanging on the edge with new things. I have always been this way. It keeps things free, fresh, and unpredictable. I have never played live to people on the piano. With that said, it is coming to all my gigs. I have a few weeks on it now and I am more than ready! I always learn my instruments on stage. I started giging with the 1 man band set up after a few days of messing with it. People dig your energy more than your technical abilities. The ones that value the latter over the former are a very small minority.

It snowed like heck here yesterday and today. I hope my gig is still on. I am dying to play this piano live. I would rather just be a so-so talent on the 1 man band thing, than a well known harp player/singer. You got no freedom to drift when playing the harp in a band. You are dependent on when the band changes, what beats they play, etc. This is no good for a spontaneous approach to music. The root has to be in time with you, and the harp is just a top of the chain instrument. That is the cool thing about being a 1 man band. I own all the time, on all the instruments, which for me, is worth more than mountians of gold. Heck, most of my idols were only so-so musically corrrect players. I got into the drums, piano, and guitar because I got tired of trying to tell real players of these instruments what I wanted to hear. I have no musical training, so I have found it much more rewarding to just do it all myself. When I close my eyes with my 1 man band set ups, I really feel like i have a real band behind me, and no matter how simple I am, they follow me whever my time, chord changes go! Walter

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording