First Jam Ever

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

First Jam Ever

Postby blueswrench » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 am

Just got home from sitting in at my first jam ever and it was nerve-wrackin' as hell! I've never played in front of anyone other than my instructor in my life! There were 4 players, all guitar(2 electric / 2 acoustic). Me and a co-worker, both complete novices, and 2 guys that had cover bands in late 70's and mid 80's. Turned out to be a helluva lotta fun!! Lucky the 2 experienced guys were patient and they seemed to have fun doing stuff they haven't played in years and were good about showing us newbies alot of stuff. Wasn't strictly blues playing, just kinda get loose run whatcha brung style. One guy played everthing from classic rock and blues to gospel and bluegrass which was kind of refreshing. Hope this turns into a regular thing because I was kinda in a slump with my practicing. Definitely a nice change of pace compared to playing solo at home. Might be just what I needed to reinspire me to keep practicing. :D :D
blueswrench
Regular

Re: First Jam Ever

Postby jeffl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Congrats blueswrench! I'd be depressed if I didn't have a jam to go to. I've been jammin' pretty much every week for almost 20 years now, and once a week is barely enough for me. Jammin' basically got my harpin' abilities back to the point where I was able to sit in with bands and get into a couple giggin' bands again, so it will do alot for you.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:16 pm

It's always scary when you start, we've all been there, bought the T shirt, but it looks like you've found the Good Guys, they'll help enormously. I know how much I owe to people who trod the path ahead of me. Keep at it :)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswrench » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:26 am

Thanks guys! So far it seems that its going to be a regular Thursday nite deal. Everybody seemed to have fun and a couple of the guys have friends they used ta play with and have been looking for a place to play. Hopefully we'll get something other than guitar ta spice it up! Two of the guys also play bass and one says he blows some harp so we'll have ta see. I kinda like it being small so far and hope it really doesn't turn into an orchestra. :lol:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:19 pm

One thing to remember in jammin' is that everybody prob'ly has different expectations about what they want to get out of it, and how they want to do things. Having a jam to go to is a very valuable thing, and the opportunities are not that common. Sometimes you need to compromise and play scenarios out before you get frustrated.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mnozzolio » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 am

That's great that you've found a group to jam with. I'm sure you'll find that your own playing will develop by leaps and bounds. As you feel more comfortable, you'll be able to stretch yourself, and the experienced players will be a subtle push forward for you.
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 pm

I have two friends who I jam with. Either it's Shawn and myself, or Victor and myself. (I am the least good out of the three, but I learn a lot from them) Anyways, last night was the first time the 3 of us all played together, and it was kinda scary at first because I felt that I couldn't compete with the both of them together. But overall, we did really well and had a blast. After every jam session, I fell as if I am a lot more talented than I was 1 hour prior to plugging in with other guys. If you can make playing with others a regular thing, your guitar skills will progress A LOT. You'll be amazed. I wish I could find more people to play with, and I wish I could play with the people I know more often.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:31 am

It's amazing how these jams can get a life of their own. Last month we couldn't get anyone to show, and tonites jam we had 7 guitars(3 electric/4 acoustic), bass, drums, and 2 mics for vocals :shock: :blink:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Sounds like it's catching on. How is having so many guitars going or do they not all play at the same time. The jams I have been to were just to watch and one guy would dictate who played and when. I thought that was a bummer. Once I took my bass and amp and when I saw that I would be told when to play I listened to the "house" bassists and I knew I could shut her right down so I grabbed my gear and left. I'm shy and I just felt out of place. Skinny has suggested a blues jam where everyone plays at the same time. I'm curious how that would turn out. I read where that's how the Square Nut Zippers started in North Carolina. People brought what they had and every body played if they wanted to. Please keep me informed how this plays out from wek to week.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm sorry, that should of read Squirrel Nut Zippers.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:50 am

So far, there hasn't been any issues with all guitars playing mainly I think because 3 of us are still fairly new to playing and are not playing with much authority (low volume) and the more experienced players let whoevers turn it is to pick a song play lead. There hasn't been any ego problems since everyone justs wants to have a nite out and have fun. So far this has been a blast and made me realize how much I need to keep practicing :roll:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:13 am

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. Last nites jam ended up being a fiasco with people packing up and leaving early. Somebody invited a friend of a friend who was supposed to be a killer player and this guy was real proud of himself. No matter what song we were working on he had to be lead man with really fast chicken pickin' style solos whether it fit the song or not. It got so bad 5 of the 9 players would quit playing cause we couldn't keep up and he would keep it up for several minutes until he was done. Not a team player and I don't think him or his buddy will be invited back. We need to let everyone know in advance that this jam was started by and for new players and everyone gets to participate and have fun. Otherwise, why bother?
blueswrench
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Hang in there,Blueswrench. Those things have a way of workin' themselves out. I myself have brought guest musicians to jams, thinkin' they'd fit in, only to have 'em stink the place up or try to dominate. You live and learn. I guess if you like the jam, I'd only take guys to it that I KNOW CAN PLAY, not guys that I THINK CAN PLAY.Also, after a while, if the lineup remains fairly constant, guys start to find their roles in the music and it gets better, especially with newer musicians improving their skills over time. In my experience, everything gets better so gradually that you don't notice the improvement until months down the line and then you go, "Hey, we sure sound better than we did at the beginning!"
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs