my friends are too loud

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

my friends are too loud

Postby randy101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:10 am

I invited four of my freinds over this weekend to my house just to sit around and pick out a few tunes. One guy brought 2 amps, a 100 Marshall and a Mesa Boogie and some guy he knew who played drums. I thought it was going to be fun but the drummer only knew one heavy metal riff and he only knew how play one way, hard and fast. The other guys kept turning their amps up to be heard over the drummer. Unfortunatly, they did not turn the gain down on the amps. It sounded like crap. I did not want to get into the volume battle so I turned off my tube amp and plugged into my Fender Champ. Man was I surprised. On the clean channel the Champs 10 inch speaker put out a a sound that cut right through the bigger amps. Who-da-thunk-it and the volume was only a little over 2. Well anyway, I think I frustrated the guys by doing blues type stuff over top of the metal they were doing and what the heck, the way they were going it was not going to work out for me. They were nice guys but it seems like we wasted most of the afternnon. Right now I would prefer to find a couple of people who want to sit down and work on playing a whole song with dynamics.
randy101
Regular

RE: my friends are too loud

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:12 am

I've jammed with an acoustic bunch on Wednesday nites for over a dozen years,and I love it! I love loud music too,but I agree that sometimes things get muddy and clumsy when it's too loud.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dilawngurf » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:34 am

yea, its hard to find a couple of kids who are into the blues. Believe me. Youd think that there would be some, especially in atlanta. But crap is the reigning style of music, and all the kids here forget that their amps have clean channels. pretty soon amps wont have clean channels. :(
dilawngurf
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:09 pm

Or volume knobs.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby spud camp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-06 AT 03:54 PM (EST)]That's funny, your story reminds me of the scene in Spinal Tap...."this one goes to eleven."
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby acoustimax » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 pm

There's no place to hide on a clean channel. You have to actually play music and be good or bad.
acoustimax
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:31 am

A marshal stack can be painfull in a living room!! :)

I have run into that with lots of young guys.

When in vallhalla do as the vikings do.

Your main mistake is the drummer, a guitar guy may get board with trying to feel music, but most try to learn, but a metal drummer will get bored listning to you guys try and put somthing together, as soon as he starts beating and hammering, the guitar goes with what he knows.

I usually try to get a bass and guitar together, and after we have somthin down I might get a drummer(or a drum machine that I can "control")
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:07 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-06 AT 01:08 PM (EST)]>That's funny, your story reminds me of the scene in Spinal
>Tap...."this one goes to eleven."

Three of my amps go to eleven...and one to twelve.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 pm

I recently issued the challenge to my son's to play "Clean" and it frustrated the hell outta the oldest when he found out alot of his licks were pretty sloppy but had been covered by distortion and volume!
My 19 yr old took it as an opportunity to improve himself and now writes a bunch of acoustic stuff!
Sure been fun to watch these boys progress!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:22 pm

They were nice guys but it seems like we wasted
>most of the afternnon. Right now I would prefer to find a
>couple of people who want to sit down and work on playing a
>whole song with dynamics.

No, it wasn't wasted, you found out that thing wasn't working. It's all part of Life's Rich Tapestry.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 pm

>Right now I would prefer to find a
>couple of people who want to sit down and work on playing a
>whole song with dynamics.

That's the key there - dynamics. Separates the good bands from the boring. Shows if you can actually play together as a group or are just a bunch of wankers.
nizer
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:43 am

>I recently issued the challenge to my son's to play "Clean"
>and it frustrated the hell outta the oldest when he found
>out alot of his licks were pretty sloppy but had been
>covered by distortion and volume!
>My 19 yr old took it as an opportunity to improve himself
>and now writes a bunch of acoustic stuff!
>Sure been fun to watch these boys progress!

My boy plays bass so I guess he's used to playing clean. I like distortion but I enjoy playing clean as well. The other day we were jamming in the living room unplugged ...... and the boys bass is electric! A lot of times when I'm learning a new lick, it isn't only clean but the guitar isn't plugged in. Helps you to hear your mistakes but doesn't annoy the whole family with them ... over and over and over again. LMAO
trguitar
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:04 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-06 AT 12:16 PM (EST)]The thing I really like about the Soldano is that the overdrive channel won't disguise sloppy playing. It has that "clean distortion" thing. Plus, it's one of the few master volume/SS rectifier amps I've played that has allowed some power tube distortion without sounding like $#!^. A lot of my friends who've played through it have hated the way they sound because they're so used to playing through loud, ultra-saturated amps and having that cover their ass.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:33 pm

I have to admit, that I have on ocasion dialed in some ratty dirty nasty metal distortion and cranked it, it makes me apreciate my clean overdriven tones much more, but I usually have to wait a day or two to be able to hear them :)

I am just amazed that I'm not deaf from the 70's and most of the 80's
We used to reherse in a one car cinderblock garage with a concrete floor and there were three half stacks, a P.A. and a set of drums in there. Talk about a bell ringer.

Now adays if I get to loud, my right ear clicks and pops, and completly cuts out some. not good!!

:)
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:45 pm

>Now adays if I get to loud, my right ear clicks and pops,
>and completly cuts out some. not good!!
>
>:)

I've invested in some of those fancy, custom-fit ear-plugs to try to prevent my ears from ever getting to that point...some of our jams can get a little loud.
guitarslim101
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar