my friends are too loud

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: my friends are too loud

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:50 pm

>What do you think about a guitar player/band leader that
>insists on playin at what he calls "performance level" in a
>small practice area?

I think he's an asshole.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:54 pm

>>>I think he's an asshole.

There ya go "Sugar coating" it again Ric! :o
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Ya know, I actually like the guy but when it comes to music and guitar playing he's very set in his ways about things. I just don't want to play music with him anymore. It HAS to be fun. And it wasn't. The other band situation was pretty funny and weird. It was the latest happening and the band split up and went their separate ways. The guitar player called me several times but since I wasn't home he thought my kid was covering for me to blow him off and quit calling. He cannot be reached but by a message phone. He's just too weird to play with without the bass player who won't separate from his buddy the metal drummer. A lot of talent and potential in the situation but inability to work it out. Honestly, nothin new. I'm sure when the time is right the situation will come up and it will be clear and I will do all that I can to keep it going with the right band. In the meantime, I am improving my skills and will have more to bring.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:17 pm

There are a lot of guitar players who have a rigid fixed idea of "their tone." It usually involves distortion from a cranked-wide-open amp, and they won't turn down. They tend to use 50-100W tube amps, and worry that they won't be heard over the drummer. I don't respect 'em musically.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:58 pm

My sound is built on getting preamp tube distortion with the use of a pedal to drive that section. That combined with my 5 watt amp makes me very volume friendly to play with. I'm getting too old to play loud. Drowning out others is just inconsiderate anyhow. As far as rehersing at performance level, how about rehersing at the level that suits the room you are playing in. A long time ago (1978) the guy that lived up the road from me was letting his friends use his guest house for band rehersals. The friend with the band knew I was learning guitar so he showed me thier stuff. It was a small space and volume was an issue. They practiced only with their floor monitors for vocals and used small combo amps. The PA speakers and big amps sat in a pile for when they played out.
trguitar
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:28 pm

>It would supposedly be about listening and playing together
>not battling.

That's exactly right.
grady
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:30 pm

>>What do you think about a guitar player/band leader that
>>insists on playin at what he calls "performance level" in a
>>small practice area?
>

I think he needs to "grow up".

If he wants to stroke himself, he can do it in private when no one else is around.
grady
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Guys, The way I set up small rm large rm.makes no diff,you should be able to talk with each other on stage,I use large amps but for me I get the tones I want a low volume,when someone gets to loud I simply ask them to turn down if this continues I ask them to turn off,But the levels need to stay the same not matter what size venue,when I need to fill a large space I mic everything thu the sound system then I can make it as loud as they want to the aud,without changing stage levels,The loud players I have not respect foe as well,Best thing to do is stay away from those ametures!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:38 am

I practice my bass through the big BXR amp I just bought but turned down. I can hear what I need to better through that than my daughter's little practice bass amp. And I don't mind when the music is loud but not too loud when I'm out listening and dancing. We have noticed at one hang out it just keeps getting louder and louder and people all end up outside more than inside. I have seen a lot of stuff like this and it takes away the enjoyment of listening to live music. Sometimes it's the musicians getting a buzz or lack of a sound check. Either way, I don't see it as a good reflection on the band. Maybe I'm just getting old and just burned my poor eardrums all out.
lorilu
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:50 am

I know this is a blues forum.
I have mentioned this before also.
I saw Ted Nugent last summer at the New York State Fair.
He had a wall of Peavey 5150's as props but played through a single Peavey 60 watt combo that was mic'd. The volume was modest to say the least. If Uncle Ted can play through a 60 watt amp at modest volume for an outdoor concert I think the average blues musician does not need ear bleed volumes to play a club.
trguitar
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 02:45 PM (EST)]THANK YOU!!! No Lori its amatter of being an pro,When I preform I want people to enjoy my music if your to loud like you said then people can't really enjoy,I get upset when I see the crowd holdin there ears!! that just stupid,if the sound is not right I can't focus on my show, I have people actually pull there seats within 5 feet of me because they want to see my hands, I like that very much!!
601blues
Regular

Postby slickcat » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:36 pm

In the old days....(ok Im up there)...we turned the amp up loud because you had to in order to get the power tubes cooking. Thats where you got the great sustain, harmonics, and rock tone we all wanted. Now most amps have a master volume....and there are more stomp box distortion pedals than you can count. There is really no need to get that loud anymore just for "tone" sake. The small digital amps like Vox and Line 6 excel at providing "cranked tones" at low volume.
I went from a 50watt plexi half stack to a 15watt Tweed Deluxe.
I can still get all the sounds with the small amp as I could with the Marshall. Its lighter and not as loud , however the tone is still there.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Yeah, that and the kitties like it better. No, seriously, that's good to know. I still know people that gotta blast people out of the room.
lorilu
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:44 pm

I had a Marshall JCM900 50 watt head and combo but traded both of them cause they were just too loud. I'm not rich by the way, I bought them used and managed to trade them for even more than I origionally paid for them. One of the few times that has happened.
trguitar
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar