We'll Give the MicroCube another try

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

We'll Give the MicroCube another try

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Our "acoustic" jam bunch is doin' our once-monthly shot at this little club again tonite, and I thought I'd travel light. I'm gonna push my harp through my MicroCube, since it'll fit on the bookshelf I tend to stand in front of. Obviously the thing won't reproduce the lows like any of my "real" amps, but I'm basically an embellisher with this bunch, since we got so many acoustic 6-strings goin', and there's plenty of mids and bottom already--enough to get mushy. I'm leavin' my keyboard at home tonite. I've kinda determined that any chording I would do on organ can be approximated on harp anyway, and I only use the keyboard to lead blues tunes and some country leaning ballads, like "Willin'",etc. We'll see how it goes. I hate haulin' a buncha gear, partly 'cuz we play in such a small space and my keyboard kinda separates me from the rest of 'em.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: We'll Give the MicroCube another try

Postby bluejay » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Bubba, I'm looking forward to your report so I can see the prospects for my own MC in certain situations. In a week and a half, me and the missus will be celebrating our Leap Year wedding's 4th iteration with a party back at the art studio we got married in, which is 3 hours from where we live now. While I have the "little" Kustom Profile One PA to run my acoustic guitar through (dedicated instrument input), I'll probably bring the MC to give another option to anyone who shows up with a guitar or harp, as we told our friends there will be an open mic for their contributions to the festivities, and I don't want to haul my Pro Jr. on top of the P.A. and all the other stuff we're taking. Volume will not be high on the P.A., so it'd be nice to see how the MC can cut through the acoustic mix of your jam.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:51 pm

It's always good to hear from you Rhino (bluejay). Re the MC: it's always good to know the strengths and weaknesses of your gear. I've used the MC in rehearsals before, mic'ing it into the mains. Because it's a modelling amp, imo it overcomes some of the weaknesses due to having a small speaker and small cabinet. In particular, being able to dial in some delay,flanger, or reverb can give the tone depth beyond its geometry. However, it's digital, so if pushed hard with a harp mic, it'll feed back easily, so it's best not to have to push it for harp. If it's not mic'ed and things get loud (as in real loud), it'll definitely run outa headroom, but I think the thing that gives it possibilities with this jam bunch is the fact that nobody else is amplified, so I don't need much amplification to get the cut I need. I basically can play loud enough without the amp to cut in this mix, but I have to push the harps past their best level of air to do it, and I've been hard on 'em in the process. So, I deduce that it's better to amplify and play with less force and more nuances. I will use the wall wart, 'cuz I've experienced the trauma of having the batteries die on me at inopportune times, and there isn't much warning and it ain't pretty. We may wind up doin' a little camcording of the event again and posting it on youtube, so I'll letcha know if that happens. I'll try to get 'em to catch some blues on there too, since we're all over the board. We posted one previously in the archives of "alcamoz" (click "Dirty Old Town","O bla Dee", or "Birthday.Beatles") , in a coupla spots, and it wuz rough. This ain't a band-- just a jam bunch-- so if I don't get the quality I need with a piece of gear, it ain't gonna cost us a future gig...I'll just refrain from doin' it again, and use my Epi Valve Special (a big cabinet 5 watt) or borrow another little amp. BTW, I've also used my Crate Taxi as a PA of sorts for outdoor jams and small company gatherings, and it'll do the job, albeit not well.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:26 pm

The MicroCube worked out very well last nite. We used ambient mics for the vocals and I played thru the MC. Obviously, I'd never wanna use it for a serious gig, but for a relatively low volume jam, it sounded good. One of my buddies had his little 15 Watt SS Crate keyboard amp there and I plugged into that, jus' for the heck of it. It didn't work for harp mic at all. It just wouldn't handle it...couldn't reproduce some of the waves, which actually surprised me 'cuz that amp works fine-- although limited due to the lack of power -- with my keyboard. I dialed in just a hair of delay on the MicroCube and it sounded fine, but a hair tinny compared to something with more power, and a bigger speaker and cabinet.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks for the assessment, Bubba. I'll let you know how my experiment works out. We're going up to da U.P. this weekend to check out the space. Haven't been in it in 16 years. It used to be the balconies of a fraternal lodge auditorium, but is now walled off. The main space below is now a dance studio. During our wedding, a dance class started and we could hear the bass beat of the practice music through the floor and wall. Just part of the fun. Maybe we can return the favor this time around. :wink:

As you note, the nice thing about the MC is being able to dial in a bit of delay or reverb, etc. to shape things. Lately with mine it seems harder to keep the highs from getting brittle, rather than pump up the lows. But I've been farting around with putting a wah in front of it, along with an OD pedal, just to see what I can make happen, and I think I'm losing track of settings where I used to get the best tones. A little adjustment goes a long way on the MC FX knobs.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 pm

As near as I can tell, the modelling amp selector switch seems to be a gain switch, but I really don't know how those things work. All I can tell is that the farther I go clockwise, the more feedback prone it gets with my harp mic, so I think that's some kinda clue. I use "Brit Blackface" I think for harp, which does contribute to some of the tinniness. The guy who owns the music store I frequent uses the MicroCube for recording quite a bit; he loves it, and he's a total vintage gear freak. He probably owns 25 vintage tube amps that he primarily uses for recording, but he still gets alotta use outa the MC.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs