my friends are too loud

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: my friends are too loud

Postby bluesweden » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:18 pm

"its hard to find a couple of kids who are into the blues. Believe me. Youd think that there would be some, especially in atlanta. But crap is the reigning style of music"-

well i know what you´re talking about, it´s hard finding someone to play with when everybody plays heavymetal guitar. been trying to find a singer, a pianist and a drummer for over a year. and i it´s not going well... i recently lost my bassplayer to the darkside compleatly and he´s now playing in a deathmetal band :( im thinking of buying som stuff so i can record the instruments my self and try to get some songs together that way, it wold be great finding some guys (or gals) to jam with, but it seems hopless... on top of all this: the swedish air is to dry, so my martin is going to crack any day :( , im really getting the blues here...

btw, my amp knobs goes to 12 :D
bluesweden
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm

>btw, my amp knobs goes to 12 :D

Sure, but very small graduations, it gets very cold where you are at this time of year.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Bluesweden,
Hang in there. Hard times make you get more creative and expand horizons. Don't you hate when people go to the darkside? I have some misplaced and lost friends. Makes me try to stay on the straight and narrow and keep a sharp hold of my mind and motivations.

Hey Maxx! Just sayin Hi.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

Been there and done that. I used to laugh about the struggle to be heard over the hammering drummer. Now it kinda just *&&*es me off. A dynamic drummer is hard to find. Do what I did to a too noisy drummer when he/she takes off to the bathroom hide their sticks and give them two pieces of spagetti to play with.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby randy101 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:51 pm

>"its hard to find a couple of kids who are into the blues.
>Believe me. Youd think that there would be some, especially
>in atlanta. But crap is the reigning style of music"-

Crap is the reigning style of the younger ones here where I live too.
I made a post on another forum about guitar playing being a lost art with the new guys and you should have seen the responses I got.
randy101
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:23 pm

I have a friend who's a blues R&B singer in Atlanta area. She's on this site now, Lady Bluebird. She's not a girl she's a woman. She's had difficulties in getting out and finding her a band. She would be an asset to a good band.
The drummer comment is funny cause it's always been guitar players who have been too loud in my experience. And obnoxious. Maybe it's just where I'm from. We have some good drummers around here. There is a section in Blues Bass if you want to rip on drummers and get it out of your system and add your favorable remarks, too.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Lorilu, if you hang around on electric guitar boards, it's a daily thing for someone to post a question like "What kind of amp can I get for less than $85 that'll be louder than my 475 watt Marshmallow Valvebase? I need something that can be heard over the drummer."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:17 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-06 AT 01:18 PM (EST)]Exaggerated statement: When a drummer who plays loud is not very good,we say that he "overplays". When you run into a drummer who plays loud and is really good, we say he(or she) is a great drummer.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Ok, ok. Hit hard don't hit hard. Something I learned from a latin drummer was the intricacies of where you hit and with what part of the sticks. On a cross sticking there's this perfect spot you find on your snare drum that gives this beautiful sound like a piece of oak. Where the other end of the stick lies on the inside of the snare too. What part of the tip of the stick hits the hi-hat. Like you said, Bubba, it just has to be good. But I've been blasted by guitar players and watched many a jam that kept getting louder and louder and more competitive and it was the guitar players.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:02 pm

Yeah, I know it's the guitar players. The drummer's their excuse. When they say "I've got to be heard over the drummer," they really mean they don't want the drummer to be heard over them. Silly kids.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:30 pm

Of course, Ricochet, as long as you've been married you know us women are always right. Why bother arguing. Sometimes it's the drummer sometimes it's the arrogant guitar player. It would supposedly be about listening and playing together not battling. Drummers and bass players aren't "lucky" to have the honor of playing with you (not you). I always think it's funny when a guitar player sits down at the drums and can't keep a beat. But there are guitar players that can play drums and they are usually not rude to the drummer. If I have a problem with someone I try to just tell them. If they're too loud and I can't take it I move on after trying to work it out. Looking on the boards there's a lot of ads wanting drummers and bass players. All the time. Got ME to thinking. I don't play drums because I can't play music and I'm not a musician. I love them. I started off on piano and violin. I can read music. I can read drum music. I played Mozart on the violin. Just a thought. If a band has a hard time finding and keeping a good drummer maybe they should look at themselves and their attitudes. I know a lot of good drummers and they're real picky about who they play with.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:40 pm

>It would supposedly be about listening and playing together not battling.

Exactly.

ricochet
Regular

Postby randy101 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm

We tried it again. A couple of friends came over and while everyone was getting tuned my son said "Hey, lets sit around the campfire and play"

We got some chairs and put them in a circle in the middle of the floor and played at LOW volume with no mics to sing into. We actually worked on getting a couple of songs down without the volume battle that happened before. It was a lot more productive and satisfying. The last 45 minutes we cranked it up so everybody was happy and I cant wait til next time.
randy101
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:02 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-06 AT 07:03 PM (EST)]Randy thats a universal problem !!I went and sat in on several jams like that, and I try to keep it below the vocal mics cuz if I cain't hear myself I can't sing, the big problem is phraseing a song ther are times you reach up in a song ,but then you havta bring it back down this is the hardest thing for a bunch to master,they just keep gettin louder and louder,Several times I have packed up and walked and haven't been back,however some caught on to the concept,just keep working on it, most of the time I just don't say turn down,I try explaining the song and the phrasing and try to get everyone workin in the same direction. When your too loud there is no head room.
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:30 pm

What do you think about a guitar player/band leader that insists on playin at what he calls "performance level" in a small practice area? I told him it bothered me. It actually was really blasting me and was very unpleasant and disturbing. He said well that's the way it's gonna be so I had to move on. I drive a long ways for practice and it is not ever "convenient" so now I have to make sure of the band and the people. I have really been frustrated with some of the situations although it has been experience - now I want to make it worthwhile experience. So I haven't been in a band for a long time. I've used this time to work on skills and learn some bass and really think about what I want in the long run.
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar