"Mini-Gig" Tonight

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

"Mini-Gig" Tonight

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:39 am

I spent most of my afternoon and evening at the wedding reception for one of my residents, a young lady from India, and her husband. After the big shindig with the (second) HIndu wedding ceremony, a couple of rounds of feasting and a couple of hours of wild dancing with a DJ playing Indian hiphop and disco, a smaller group went to the home of two of my residents and their family, who are Iranian. I've mentioned Farshad before, he's a terrific musician. The bride had issued a special invitation to me and my "wonderful guitar," so I had to show up with something! While waiting for the bride, who was late as usual, I was asked to play a bit, so I did some unrehearsed Amazing Grace and Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground. When the bride got there, we had some more wild dancing, this time with Iranian disco music, wedding cake, and before everyone left I serenaded the newlywed couple with a special version of I Just Want To Make Love To You I'd rewritten for the occasion. Made it into a married love song, rewrote the existing verses and added on another one. Banged it out on my Johnson Tricone with picks and my Craftsman socket that just can't be beat for that nasty old hard blues sound. It went great, and she absolutely loved it.
:mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Re: "Mini-Gig" Tonight

Postby grady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:47 am

ricochet wrote: Banged it out on my Johnson Tricone with picks and my Craftsman socket that just can't be beat for that nasty old hard blues sound. It went great, and she absolutely loved it.
:mrgreen:

Hope your Johnson isn't too sore after that..LOL ~!

Sounds like a great time.
grady
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Iranian Disco Music?? That sounds...uh different :wha:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Actually, on reflecting further I doubt that's what it was. He was probably playing Indian disco music that wasn't in English for the guests of honor. Whatever it was, I couldn't understand the words and some of the instrumentation was a bit different from what I'm used to (lots of bowed strings and reed woodwind sounds), but music's really pretty universal. Our host is very cosmopolitan, and he did make a comment to me about the difficulty of finding music that would appeal to people of 6 or 7 different cultures. Hey, he had some Chuck Berry and Aretha Franklin in there! (Donna Summer, too.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 am

Shame the wedding wasn't in Detroit, you could have had Tabla Motown :D
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Well, it was all great fun in any case!
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00 pm

I played at an Indian wedding reception in the summer of 2006. I worked out a basic song structure, motifs, and melody ideas before hand but basically winged it. I played my tricone in C#-vastapol with a slide and my fingers, mixing the western major and an Indian scale.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to About Gigs