Recommended Blues Listening

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby lightninboy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 am

Do you like a bit of Texas ? Do you want to hear some tasty phrasing? Check out "Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets", w/ the late great Sam Myers on the Blues Harp.
"Which way is Texas", is a good place to start. It'll get your toe tappin'.
If it makes me smile, I know its good!

A must for any aspiring electric guitarist.
Anson shows that you don't need to play tumanynotes. 8)

Remember, don't blow your cookies in the first few bars!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TC90 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 am

I must second Anson and the Rockets. His older recordings are great also, before Sam with Darrel Nulish (SP?)

Mike Morgan and the Crawl
Slim Harpo
Tab Benoit
Smokin' Joe Kubek
Hound Dog Taylor
Three Kings, Freddie, Albert, and BB
TC90
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Shame on ya'll for not showing some love for Muddy Waters. Some of the apostles of the "Church of Muddy" would be Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bukka White, Buddy Guy and of course Mister Johnny Winter. Can I get an amen?
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:13 pm

Now I thought I mentionaed Muddy right off the bat...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Sorry Dan. You did mention Muddy. Brain farted.
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:49 pm

'Course, he does bear repeating...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:01 pm

I agree. Everytime I hear that slide Muddy plays on "She's 19 Years Old" I get harder than Chinese arithmetic! That song just screams the blues.
texas blues
Regular

Re:

Postby todd » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:50 am

mkj wrote:I can't see how a newcomer to blues - such as myself for instance - can learn off listening to cds.

You make excellent points, but I would also recommend you keep listening. I'm always listening to blues and it never fails....ever now and then a song I've heard a few thousand times has a riff I hear, that I can figure out how to play it simply because I've played it before playing some other song. John Lee Hooker and Hubert Sumlin can take the same notes on a riff and make it sound very different. Or one of them may play it backwards or something. Even Clapton has said he's still playing the handfull of riffs he learned while sitting around listening to blues albums.

Also, while my ears are aweful, you do get better over time at picking stuff out when your constantly listening for that one guitar part.
todd
Regular

Re: Recommended Blues Listening

Postby todd » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Good list so far.....

I'll throw in Gatemouth Brown and Rev. Gary Davis....Gatemouth claims he didn't play blues or jazz, that he played American music Texas style.....regardless of what it is, it's hard to beat the picking on Okie Dokie Stomp!

And unless I overlooked them Charley Patton and Son House have been left out. Not to mention Big Bill Broonzy, Blind WIllie Mctell, Lonnie Johnson, Tampa Red, and Leroy Carr.

Great latter day bluesmen would have to include Keb Mo, Warren Hayes, Eric Sardinas, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, and his wife Susan Tedeschi.
todd
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:43 am

From that link the other day...

I was liking Big Bill Broonzy. Blind Blake is very advanced for the day I feel.

Also Lightenin' Hopkins who of course is from our era.
tinsmith
Regular

Re:

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:05 am

texas blues wrote:I agree. Everytime I hear that slide Muddy plays on "She's 19 Years Old" I get harder than Chinese arithmetic! That song just screams the blues.

Where the hell do you get these analogies?! Haha, you've got some good ones! :D
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby neil sharpe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:53 pm

"The James Cotton Blues Band" on Verve with Mike Bloomfield producing. It's the one James Cotton album that is great from beginning to end, especially the arrangements by Bloomfield on tracks like "Jelly Jelly"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bloomfield

Anything by Jimmy Reed, whose harp solos illustrate that "less is truly more", Elmore James ("Something Inside of Me" is a favorite track), Sonny Boy Williamson, Albert King, Otis Spann, Howling Wolf, Amos Milburn, Billy Boy Arnold, Homesick James and The Dusters, and the North Mississippi All- Stars (live), to name just a very few .

Also, interesting how seldom sax players appear in these listings, yet many great saxophonists were, and are, rooted in the blues, such as Ben Webster. Cannonball Adderley, Purvis Henson, and Johnny Hodges.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/RockSax01.html
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 am

I like Allanlummox's first list. Etta James (my girlfriend sings like her) is one of my favorite. I would like to add to the list "Precious Bryant". A senior citizen with a lot of fire in her. I have two of her CD's. One of her songs "waiting for the Morning Train" was used in the movie "Black Snake Moan". Good easy listening.
mike932
Regular

Postby Cooder » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Hello all

I am new to this forum and feel like a kid in a candy store. I am enjoying going over old posts and taking notes on others recommendatios. There is a wealth of info in these posts. Thanks to all.

As for recommened listening, I am mostly into acoustic slide but am listening to Harvey Mandel & Barry Goldberg, Blues from Chicago at the moment. Great arrangements on some classics Big Boss man and I'm losing you. Harvey Mandel is a very talented player. There is a fair amount of great blues organ here for those interested. Also Fleetwood Mac in Chicago 1969 featuring Buddy guy, Willie Dixon, Otis Span , Shakey Horton, J.T. Brown ,Honeyboy Edwards and S.P. Leary. Peter Greens playing on this is superb. Although it is not on this double C.D. Peter Greens Black Magic Woman is one of my favorite all time tunes.

P.S. That quote posted earlier "getting harder than Chinese Algebra" is a line from a Tom Waits tune Pasties and a G String from Small Change.

Thanks again all keep those cards and letters coming.

Cooder
Cooder
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Welcome, Cooder!

Waits does come out with some good lines, doesn't he?
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues