Wives won't let ya' get a big head

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Wives won't let ya' get a big head

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Last Wednesday our jam group played this little club for about the 4th time now. This time the club owner actually promoted it with posters. The first few times we played there it was real laid back-- not much of a crowd and very low key. This time the place was packed and the crowd got loud and raucous all evening. One of the guys said to his wife, "Man, this crowd really seems to love us. The place is full." His wife replied, "It's two for one wine night." I think she hit it right on the head,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wives won't let ya' get a big head

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 am

My wife and I were sitting at a table at my 30th high school reunion, and
I kept staring at a drunken woman swigging her drink, as she sat alone at a
nearby table.

My wife asks, "Do you know her?" "Yes," I sighed. "She's my old
girlfriend. I understand she started drinking right after we split up
those many years ago, and I hear she hasn't been sober since."

"My God!" says my wife. "Who would think a person could go on celebrating
that long?"
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby bluejay » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Hey Bubba, at least you got the exposure to a wider audience...though I've never thought of the blues as the soundtrack to the wine crowd -- unless we're talking MD 20/20 or Thunderbird. :wink:
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Our jam bunch doesn't put much of a premium on playin' out...it generally meets at a guy's house, and that is the preferred venue. The only reason we've been playin' at this little club is 'cuz one of our guys is a friend of the club owner and he just bought the place this year, so we're helpin' him out 'cuz he can't afford much. We don't play strictly blues either; in fact, blues makes up about a fourth of what we play. One of the reasons I like playin' with these guys is that they'll play darn near any form of popular music, from old vintage country (Hank Williams,Merle,etc.) thru old folk,blues rock, Beatles, Rolling Stones,Kinks,Cream,Animals,Yardbirds, Steve Earle,Roy Orbison,Talking Heads, Clash...anything goes. We're just doin' it so we can keep playin' and have fun.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 pm

With that range of material, you're right on target for the "mid-life" wine crowd. What a deal, 2 for 1 vino and a solid range of tunes. Glad you guys are having fun and helping create a bit of a scene for the bar owner and yourselves.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:59 pm

bluejay wrote:With that range of material, you're right on target for the "mid-life" wine crowd. What a deal, 2 for 1 vino and a solid range of tunes. Glad you guys are having fun and helping create a bit of a scene for the bar owner and yourselves.
As a harper, I prefer blues of course, but great tunes are great tunes, and it's funny how you pick up a new tune you've never played before and discover how fun it is to play. Last week we learned the Beatles' Birthday song and played it for our lead player's 60th birthday down at the club; that tune may be simple, but it's a ton of fun to play, and it really cooks. I never realized how hot that tune could be...it was just another Beatles tune to me. It gave me a chance to try out a guitar/synth lead voice on my new keyboard (shadowing the guitar lead lick) , in between the organ and piano accompaniments. I get to use 3 different voices on that tune, so it was a good opp. to exercise my voice switching dexterity. The only gripe I got about playin' that club is that it can get too loud for an "acoustic" jam group. The crowd gets loud and the band gets louder, and pretty soon you can't hear what's goin' on, 'cuz we're not using mics,amps, PA, or monitors. If we keep playin' there, that'll probably have to change.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 am

My estranged wife comes to a lot of the shows with me. She hears the hollers and whistles. She see's the ladies give me their phone numbers and give me kisses. At first it pissed her off so I banned her from coming. I couldn't handle her getting pissy with me while I'm trying to get a bar full of people up on their feet. We had some talks and now she just rolls with it. I don't call the numbers, I don't go home with the ladies but I do let them know how important they are to the band. Even when I go to the shows alone I go home alone. I had to put my wife in the right perspective tho or she wouldn't be there. She dances with herself or with dudes and she drinks a bit, shoots some pool, she has a good time. When the crowd is going crazy over the band she just smiles. The leader of the band introduces The Blues Dawgs starting with me, the horn dawg on bass and then the drummer, the hollywood hound because Darren does small parts in movies also. My estranged wife just laughs now when Skinny does that. It's all about having fun for us and for the audience.
I'd also rather do blues and blues/rock songs but we have been doing a heavy version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It's also a fun song to play.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

If my last wife showed up at one of my gigs, it'd scare the crap outa me. I'd be worried that she was either gonna come on to me, or try to kill me. She tried to stab me in the back with a steak knife once, and 15 minutes later we were poundin' away up in the bedroom,lol! My current wife loves goin' to hear me play, but I can't trust her judgment, 'cuz all she ever says is "You need to turn up...I can't hear you." She apparently thinks I should be louder than the rest of the band altogether. She's undoubtedly my biggest fan, thank God.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:06 am

I don't care about getting a big head. A little head from time to time is all I ask.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am

jellyroll baker wrote:I don't care about getting a big head. A little head from time to time is all I ask.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs