What would you do?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

What would you do?

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:31 am

We had a gig Friday and Saturday for $300.00 per night. After Fridays show the night manager gave me $200.00. I told him the deal was $300.00. He said the bars manager said $200.00. I told the guy "okay, I'll work it out with the boss", took the $200.00 and left. I was very calm. Well Saturday I talked with the boss of the band I'm in and he said we go in Saturday night and if they don't have our $100.00 plus $300.00 for Saturday night then we unplug and head for home. We were prepared to do that. When I got to the bar a dude approached me and said "Hi, I'm the manager tonight." I told him we had a problem and he said the bars manager called him and told him to pay us $400.00 for that night. I told him we had no problem. The manager, the one I made the deal with over the phone, came in just before we took the stage and apologized about the short pay on Friday. We said no problem and went forth and rocked that bar. The manager loved what we do.It was great, we got rebooked. How would any of you handled it? I'd really like to know.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: What would you do?

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:55 am

I think you handled it fine.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:24 am

I think you handled it fine as well. You kept your calm when they there was the disagreement the first night, and said you'd figure it out later. A lot of people I'm sure would've had a huge issue with it and caused a scene. You did the right thing. Had you caused a scene then got it worked out, you might not have been asked back to play there again. So I think you handled it in a good way!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby houserocker » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 pm

The same way you did!

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Mojo Nixon has a great song about not getting paid at a gig, "Where The Hell's My Money?" Very funny song, and he handles the situation in a much more extreme way.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Is this an unexpected benefit of your other thread?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mnozzolio » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 pm

You and your bandmates sound like true, mature professionals and handled it perfectly. Miscommunication happens, and you generally can tell is someone's trying to pull a fast one. If you like the gig, building that trust and relationship can payoff in the long run.
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby oleman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 am

I have been faced with a similar situation and certainly handled it quite differently. But I was hammered and not in real control of my faculties or my mouth and wound up with a bloody nose.
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Last year when we first started gigging we were doing a Friday and Saturday night gig at a local bar. $150.00 a night was the deal. Saturday night I got $100.00 and I said "the deal is $150.00." The bar maid said that the owners said only $100.00. We didn't raise a fuss but we were preturbed and asked the bar maid to get them on the phone. She said they were out of town. Well, I gave the boss his $50.00 and the drummer his $50.00 and I went home with nothing but a lesson. I have had some of the patrons of this bar come up to me around town and when we've been playing other clubs and ask "when are you going to come back to our bar?" I tell them just as soon as the owners give me my $50.00 for the last time we were there. We'll never go back. It's a small joint and the acoustics are lousy. We're getting better money at bigger bars and clubs these days. I don't mean to sound like I have a big ego, we're not the best band in Utah but we're told we are every where we play. I say that humbly, really. It still surprises me when people tell me that. We play in Salt Lake City this weekend and I'll be told that a few more times. I always agree with the patron that Skinny Bob is an awesome guitar player, which he is. I watch Skinny's reaction when he's complimented and he's very humble with his thank you.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Saturday night we got shorted on pay. Gig was $200.00 got only $150.00. The gig lady was very upset and I had to take her outside and reinterate that it's only business. It was the indian bar and the other two in the band hate playing there. I asked to continue because I like rowdy places. The show itself was good. New patrons and steadies at the place told us we were the best, good show and so on. I felt we rocked that place that night. It felt good and it went good. I called the gig lady today and mentioned that she should call the manager (she wasn't there Saturday night) and tell her we won't be back. We do have more dates with the bar over the next two months. The gig lady was glad to hear me say that. The money is short and we're getting more at the other bars. We only kept playing there because I asked to.
This weekend we're back in Idaho at the resort town. This place is a riot to play. Every one is on vacation and they let it all hang out. We played there some months back and I have been waiting to get back. Good money, hotel room and dinner. Oh yeah, lots of ladies shakin' it on the dance floor. Saturday I'm gonna soak my old bones in them hot pools and let the warm water melt me away.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to About Gigs