Swing Guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Swing Guitars

Postby guitarsmurf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:04 pm

Way cool guitars, check it out: http://www.swingguitars.com

They used to be the Korean OEM who made Ibanez in the mid-90s. Looks really nice and seems they use quality materials like Grover tuners and Wilkinson bridges.

I've seen a price of a Les Paul for 725 EUR (about 850 USD?). I've heard of a local pro player who compared it to his own '59 LP and he said the difference was minimal.

I've yet to try it, but sure sounds like a better deal than an Epiphone Elitist LP!
guitarsmurf
Regular

RE: Swing Guitars

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:40 am

Why do these people just make knock off's of guitars established guitar makers have made famous? There was nothing new at that web site. I like new looking guitars. Ibanez has a new model that I saw for the first time in Musicians Magazine that caught my eye. I realize these knock off's are very nice guitars. If I want a strat Fender has lots to select from. If I want a Les Paul there's Gibson, ect, ect. I understand that people on a budget, me, buy the lower price, lower quality knock off's. I've certainly had a few. Just curious about the lack of originality.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:30 pm

Why do established musicians keep playing covers of songs that have been done before? Because they work, and they sell.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:07 am

Yeah, it's not very original... But what are the two absolute biggest guitar types in electric guitar history? It's most likely the Strat and the Les Paul. Most brands have a Strat-type or a LP-type guitar in their range.

But a Gibson LP will set me back 2,000 EUR (about 2,300 USD) and I just can't justify the cost. Honestly, I don't think Gibson can either. I know some dealers here who just ended their contracts with Gibson and are not renewing it. 2,000 EUR? If I can buy the exact same thing, with the exact same quality for 725 EUR?

Plus you have to remember that Japanese and Koreans are renowned for copying. They'll copy 100% what you're doing and then make it better and cheaper. In the beginning nobody wanted "Jap crap", but now... 90% of electronics you buy are Japanese/Korean brands.

"Budget" doesn't always mean "low quality" either.
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:11 pm

There is no quality like the real thing. That's a fact. Gibson Les Pauls are better than any other Les Pauls. Play it before you buy it. Dont buy a guitar youve never played, let alone, never seen in person. How would you know what you're gonna get? At least go with a more trusted name, like Epiphone, rather than OEM or who ever you're tlaking about. That's my opinion. Happy guitar hunting!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:53 pm

There are great guitars out there for reasonable money,But I would not buy a LP copy or strat copy,I would consider other guitars if they were an orginial line! Not a copy it don't make you look bad playing other guitars but to me it is in bad taste to play a copy!!
601blues
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:12 am

Trust me. There are better Les Pauls out there than Gibsons these days. And for less money too. Heritage to name just one brand.

And why on earth would playing a copy make you look stupid? If that copy is a good quality guitar that sounds good, plays well and is only 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the original... How is that stupid? That's just smart economics. I really don't care what decal is featured on the headstock.
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:37 am

Well I guess its just a personel,thing! I ve been around a bunch of musicians, where when you walk in and open your case the first thing is they look ta see what you pull out,if you pull out a 335 epi or a LP epi or any thing else they Lable it a copy and kinda turn up there nose at it,But if you pull out anyother guitar They wanna hear what it sounds like and judge it from that point,only.Its just a thing I have if I can't have the orginial I don't want a copy,and believe me I agree there is a lot of guitars made that will Beat a gibson,I will never Buy another new Gibby I ve been burnt by them!!But I just would not buy a copy of a gibson,
601blues
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 am

And if they react like that when you pull out your Epi... Then what would they say if you pull out your Johnson?

:)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Me, I just don't care, I suppose. Some players out there will always be gear snobs. I just reckon: It's MY guitar and it sounds great and plays well and looks good to boot.

And technically... A Gibby LP is a copy of Les Paul's "log guitar". ;)
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:54 am

Your right! But thats just the way it is,I guess iam a snob in some respects,but I do alot of walkins at places and meet a lot of different musicians ,iam sure you do too,but when I see them react to guitars if you have a strat or LP if it aint a gibby or fender they kinda turn up there nose however if you introduce a guitar they are very open to it and will give it a chance just as long as it is not considered a copy,
601blues
Regular

Postby dancher » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:02 pm

do you think stevie or jimi could play a cort and still be stevie or jimi. stevie actually said " your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use."
dancher
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I agree with that 100% because I don't use any effects at all jus reverb and what ever the amp can produce the music sound or tone and passion comes from da player,However you do need some eq that can handle what your try ta say,the way you attack the strings and the passion you put forth is in you,But i don't understand your cort statement??
601blues
Regular

Postby dancher » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:30 pm

I just meant that those guys on any guitar would still be those guys
dancher
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:02 pm

To some degree you may be right but there is limits to your statement of any guitar! that covers a lotta ground!!I have several,and even though I play the same, each one gives off a diff,tone for instance,I perfer to record rhthym guitar lines with my American Strat, it sounds good,I really don't think it sounds better or worse tha my fav.LP but it records very clear with good tone, My LP sounds to heavy, to me, when I am recordin cords,But for lead work I perfer my Gibsons,I do have a Epi LP,and It does not have the punch of the Gibsons I have,Thats what I find in my own Stable,Don't want to start a big debate over guitars just expressing my personel experiences with my Guitars, I also Have a Epi Sheraton I have played at a few Gigs,and have recieved many good commemts on the looks,sound,and tone of it ,I do like it But It is limited to what it can do,for me and the way I play,The only Guitar I have that I would feel good about to handle everything In a show ,and could only bring 1 guitar is my Gibson 72 custom 3 pick ups,some may say its for show but no go!!Thats not true !I love the tone and punch of the center pickup,99% of the time thats were Iam playin,So there maybe a limit to you statement,But yes they may have even been better ,who knows,but you have to have a marriage there between you and your guitar,cain't make chickin salad out chickin crap,
601blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:26 pm

>My LP sounds to heavy, to me,
>when I am recordin cords,

Ditto. Mine sounds way to heavy to play chords on.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar