PACKIN' HEAT

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: PACKIN' HEAT

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:26 pm

If I am being attacked I will not shoot to mame but to kill. A .22LR will do that. I use hollow points as well. If you mame them they will come back and sue you. If you kill them their family will come back and sue you. I practice rapid fire at the gun range. I believe I can get off four shots with my gun to their head or chest and neck before they can turn around or drop. In Utah the shots have to be frontal. Not in the side or the back, that constitutes that they were trying to retreat. I also have whats called "duty to retreat" also which means I did every thing I could to prevent myself or some one else from being killed or harmed, I tried to get away in other words. I can not shoot them if they are leaving my house with my bass or amp either. To use deadly force involves a lot. I have a calm, clear head and that's what's required to carry. I didn't do this on the spur, I thought it over for a year. I heard on CNN that Texas passed a gun law saying a person can shoot to protect property also. I agree with that but that ain't Utah. Texas did it because of so many car jackings.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby cas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 am

I agree. If you don't think, for whatever reason, that you could kill someone, then you shouldn't use/have a gun for protection. "Warning", "scaring away", "wounding", are not valid reasons and really don't work. And if you have any doubts at all, don't get a gun for protection. I have a couple in my home and would use them if necessary. Self-protection instinct would take over I'm pretty sure 'though hopefully I never have to put myself to the test.

Carol
cas
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Minnesota enacted a "conceal and carry" law a few years ago, and I think it turned out to be a bit of a dagger in the side to the gun control lobbyists. And, please don't get me wrong..I understand those who are opposed to handguns, if for no other reason than the fact that they're involved in so many crimes with teenage kids, BUT, in Minnesota the number of people who actually signed up for permits was way less than what the alarmists were floating before the bill was passed; AND, the overall impact on crime was impossible to detect because most of the shootings have been between inner-city kids and young adults who were unaffected by the law change. My dad's opinion on home defense was that the first thing you did was throw on any lights in the house and that would often detract intruders. There's lotsa bad stories about keepin' weapons in the house: mine is that I had a 12 gauge shotgun in my closet for defense purposes (I now keep a .22 semi-auto rifle) and my daughter had an unauthorized party when her mom and I were outa town one weekend, and some kids stole the shotgun and used it to shoot a kid at a party about a month later. A single pellet lodged in the kid's eye and he lost vision on that eye. The kids, all under 16 years old, were never prosecuted because none of 'em would rat on each other and the cops couldn't identify the thief or the shooter. The only result was the people who owned the land at the second party (who were also outa town at the time of the crime) got sued by the kid who was shot, 'cuz it happened while he was on their property, although without their permission. I got the gun back from the cops about 3 years later, sawed off to minimum legal length (the kids seemed to know exactly how long that was) and with the stock sawed off down to the butt bolt. It was painted up with magic marker by the cops, with evidence markings. It reminded me of a polar bear that had been sedated by researchers and left with big painted numbers on it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:57 am

Jeff..I am so sorry that happened. Words plumb evade me. As a father of two young daughters myself I worry about these things and hope it never happens to us. God bless bro..TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm completly agree with the sentiment that if you own a gun keep it to yourself.
I have a .22 Ruger Single Six that my father-in-law gave me several years ago that I keep loaded in our bedroom. My father has shot it with me and both kids. No one else has seen it. Well the wife has but she doesn't count, right?
In the spring of 2005 my wifes niece was having a party and was bragging about her new .357. Some guys wanted to see it so she brought it out, unloaded it and handed it to a guy that my son graduated high school with. He looked it over and handed it to a guy that came to the party with him. Nobody knew guy 2. Guy 2 says lets play Russian Roulette, puts the gun to Guy 1's head and pulled the trigger on a live round. Niece says all 6 rounds were right where she unloaded when the cops came. :?:
Father-in-law was showing wifes sister his new .22 auto with lazer sight. Managed to punch a 1/4" hole through both of her calfs and the foot rest on the recliner she was sitting in. She walks with a limp.
I try not to spend time around my in-laws if I can help it. :?
BTW my mother-in-law got a CC permit. In a rural community of 400? Give me a break.

I think you have every right to keep a gun, just keep it to yourself.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 pm

What happened to Guy 1? I'm doubting the round missed or ricocheted off his head.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Guy 1 was dead right there. Guy 2 got involuntary manslaughter.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Unloaded guns have killed as many people as loaded ones have.

That's why I keep my guns to myself. I don't show them to anyone.
I'm the only person who should be handling my guns.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Dang straight.
ricochet
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am

Even if your 100% sure it's empty, every weapon should be treated as loaded and never pointed at anything you're not willing to destroy. And never assume everyone else treats a weapon with the same respect you do or it may be your last mistake.
blueswrench
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm glad I'm this side of the water, even though we have some guns in "Urban Yoof" culture, they're quite rare in society at large, and gun controls are being tightened up all across the FrancoGerman Bureaucratic Empire, sorry, EU. Of course, this is the haughty spirit before a fall, tomorrow some eejit will mug me with a Polish Army 9mm something.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Yeah, periodically I read something about gun crime being on the rise in England.

We have plenty of killings that don't involve guns. Seems like the perverts really get into strangling people.

The neighborhood kids found a skull recently in the pleasant little creek that runs through. Cops and forensic anthropologists have found some more bones. There's some of that yellow "Police Line" tape down there now. They say what they've found appears to be a woman. They don't know who, or how she was killed.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Yep illegal to carry a loaded gun in a car in Kentucky as well unless you have carry permit. Out of mind out of site, I don't promote breaking the law but the contents of my hidden compartments of my vehicle are no ones business. I dont drink and drive, I rarely speed and I dont have any warrants so theres nothing to fear if I were to be pulled over. No cause for a cop to search my vehicle and I can refuse a search anyway if theres no probable cause.

Bottom your safety is the number one concern, not the Draconian laws of your state. You've only broken the law if you get caught. Grady's comment is right on the money dont show your guns to anyone and dont ever show one to a bad guy unless you intend to shoot. No hesitation. I can say without a doubt that if I were attacted, if I were to draw my weapon I will shoot, 100 percent. Unless the attacker can show me his back and hauling ass in the time it takes me to acquire a target, there gonna be a dead bad guy on the receiving end. Shoot to kill. Hope I never have to resort to such tactics but you must prepare yourself for the reality of the situation if you arm yourself.

Like I said before an unloaded gun is an expensive, and not very effective tool. A loaded weapon with a cool headed owner gives you a better than even chance to survive an attack.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 am

stratman_27 wrote:...No cause for a cop to search my vehicle and I can refuse a search anyway if theres no probable cause.

No, I'm sorry, but that's just not the law. The police don't need probable cause to search the interior compartments of a vehicle, with or without your permission. For the cops protection they can search anywhere in your car that you can reach; including under the seats, in the console and in the glove compartment.

stratman_27 wrote:Bottom your safety is the number one concern, not the Draconian laws of your state. You've only broken the law if you get caught.

No...you'll only be punished if you get caught; you have still broken the law.
panhead74
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 am

Won't see me breaking those laws. I've got too much to lose. They are quite serious about enforcing them if you do get caught, and you just never know what will happen. Go through the legal channels and do it right, and you won't get in trouble.
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs