A time comes

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

A time comes

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:36 pm

As you all know I've been playing with a new cover band. Blues/rock. Playing these covers has opened alot up for my playing. Someone said it would. A time has come when I feel I can play anything. I hear bass parts and I know what they are doing. I play along to the radio and what I do fits. It's been a long time comming tho. It feels good. I am working on my bass skills, hone them sharp. If I lose this band then I feel I can advertize in Salt Lake and just hire on for gigs. Of course Phoenix is still in my mind. Walking into that town and start gigging for $300.00 a week is the dream. Yeah, a time comes when confidence on your instrument arrives. As I said it really feels good. Boom, boom boom.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 pm

It's all experience,Bigdaddy, and it's constantly changin' under your feet. The only bigtime cover band ( a soul and r&b group) I played for-- in high school for 3 months, in the 60's-- put me in touch with things you did to be able to deliver decent music to good payin' crowds (back then you could make $100-$200/nite each in the late 60's,in big houses, with a good band.) on demand: I wuz playin' trumpet at the time, and I learned how to hit high notes when my lips and gut were fatigued, and I learned to watch the bandleader, and I learned to transpose keys on the fly ( kinda lost that tool , through neglect now though ), and I learned that the really good payin' jobs require travel. But, if you keep playin', you'll keep learnin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:21 pm

I hear what you're saying. Time in my life is such that I have alot of time to play and learn. My children are up and gone and this working for a retirement thing is a real bummer. I have some decisions to make in the next year and as time keeps slipping away my mind is more occupied with moving on. Travel don't sound bad at all. If I can't find happiness in one spot maybe it lies in a different spot everyday. Peace.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Played the local biker bar last Firday and Saturday night. Friday night was just the trio and we put it down. The UMF president and others high in the ranks were there and swore they would get us in the June Jam up in the mountains. They had a meeting Saturday and when we came back to play the president said he'd call on Wednesday for me to sign the contract. We got the prime time Saturday night spot, knocked another band right out of it. The president also wants us on the first weekend of the month at the bar and also play May 25th and 26th at his 60th birthday party. The guitar player pulled out all the stops Friday night. I didn't even know this cat was that good, not just on the guitar but as a showman also. Alot of these dudes don't dance but they loved the show we put on. We got some offers for private parties that night also. On Saturday night the piano man came in and brought the house down. He and the guitar player were getting standing ovations, hoots and hollers. It was great. At the UMF June Jam there will be patrons and owners of the biker bars from Boise Idaho to Orem Utah. I hope we can score more gigs in these other cities. Also, I was told by the president, the women dance topless on Saturday night prime time and some even naked. Oh yeah, I wanna be on the stage. Jammin' with this band feels so natural and easy. My right wrist was pretty tight Sunday. Does anyone have any remedies for this. I've never played two nights in a row and we did long versions of Jimi Hendrix, James Gang and Stevie Ray Vaughn. It's let up some today but man it was tight yesterday.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:00 pm

The June Jam went off great. We played both Friday and Saturday. The sound system they had us going thru could be heard a mile away. We were high up in the mountains. It was a good feeling being on that stage getting the crowd up and yelling. From that show we were booked this coming Sunday for a motorcycle rally/show. I believe we'll make some more fans there. The local biker bar has us advertised in their front window and door. They have never advertised a band there before. It's cool to have some fans. On July 13th and 14th we rock the bar again. I can't wait. Being up on stage with that bass, playing them songs just feels like that's what I was ment to do. It's a riot.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:33 pm

That's great, Big Daddy! Tear it up! :D
ricochet
Regular

Re: A time comes

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:28 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on the Big Road. The band is doing very well. Some college dudes did a music video of the band last summer. Well they did a video of a night in a biker bar and chose our band to film. It was cool, a real learning experinece. The video came out pretty good. We made copies of it and send them out to bars we want to play. Lights, camera, action. It was great. We play a joint this weekend called The Ore House Saloon. It pays well and the owner also owns "the" biker bar in Utah, The Barbary Coast. If we rock the Ore House then, hopefully, the manager can get us in to the Barbary Coast. These gigs pay very well and I know we'll rock the place. We have done a dozen or more gigs since I was last on the Big Road and the band is tight, we know how each plays and we play with that. We still don't practice but that may be part of the chemistry. We show up, have a good time playing and then go home. I won't even see the other two until the next gig. I was handed a disc with 17 more songs on it. I've learned them but a few of the songs I don't care for. It's psycadelic blues rock from the 70's and sounds like crap. Ain't blues, ain't rock just some crap in between. I will slug my way through them if I have to but I don't wanna. It's good to look around the Big Road and catch up on what every one's been doing. I see some new cats on board also.
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: A time comes

Postby bosco » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey BigDaddy....glad all is well with you.

I don't agree with everything my band plays either, but we sound great and I have fun with the guys so I can deal with the trade-off.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom