just joined the bass "army"

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

just joined the bass "army"

Postby jaybee » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:16 am

after about 35 years on guitar, I just joined the bass "army" - I want to make some demo's and using the 'guitar to bass' convertor on my BOSS BR864 didn't really satisfy me, so I bought me a cheap "Skylark" (that's all it says on it) bass - actually VERY cheap, as I bought it 2nd hand for €48... it needed some setting up (lower strings, truss rod adjustment, etc) but now it feels fine. Don't know about the sound though, as I haven't had a chance to plug it in (not being at home where my gear is), but I DID play along to a 3CD "best of vlues" set I gave my girlfriend for Christmas, and I'm starting to "get the feel"... which worries me a little bit, if I get 'BASS GAS' the way I have GTR GAS', I'm in for another expensive hobby... :roll:

actually I feel the first GAS coming up already, since I'm already thinking about whether I should buy an little amp or a "bass pod", just in case I go out to jam...
jaybee
Regular

Re: just joined the bass "army"

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Holy Cow Jaybee, that's kind of a shock. You weren't even forced into it by playin' with a group without a bassist....? I've hardly ever seen anybody make that switch without basically falling on the sword for the band,lol! I think bass is a cool instrument, but I'm guessin' it's alot harder on your hands and it's not exactly an instrument you can use to serenade your girlfriend,ha. Best wishes though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:54 am

Welcome to the world of "Bottom feeders"! I was one who fell on my sword for the band. First bass guitar, then fretless acoustic/electric; then i figured go all the way and get an upright. Best musical decision I ever made. 3 years later and gigging with a couple bands, l strictly blues and the other Django jazz and western swing. I love the Bass!!
oleman
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:03 am

Bass Players do it with fewer strings attached
mike932
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom